Where are we ranked?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dc4azcats

Re: Where are we ranked?

Post by dc4azcats »

azcat49 wrote:I am already so nervous thinking about this game. A win and an Oregon win over UCLA and we own a 2 game lead over the LA schools.

Another program defining game. Lose and most fans will say typical Arizona. Win and all of a sudden the excitement level in Tucson is palpable
Agree.

Some big factors for this game that I think bode well for UA. SC gives up a ton of yards via the rush as BC went off for 452 and they ran read option all game long. BC's QB ran for 191 on 14 carries and 2 RB's ran for 89 yards each respectively. Another player had 4 carries for 55 yards.

If RR was ever going to play Randall it might be this game as he could run read option with our 2 RB's all game long. Only 4 teams from the power 5 conferences give up more yards per rush than Sc at 4.9 yards a pop.

Then you see what Assu did to SC with Assu's back-up QB throwing for over 500 yards and it looks like RR has some options offensively. Really looking forward to how RR plays it on Sat night.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

We really should beat SC this time around, for exactly all the reasons you mention, DC. What I can't understand is why Vegas favors them. Aren't they now running more of a spread offense than their traditional pro set? That fits in with our defense perfectly.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

dc4azcats wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:God the usc game is so big...please don't shit the bed against unranked usc like most every other az team would
Really?

Please, somebody tell me how this team is like any other team that Arizona has had ever? Please name a coach and a team that compares to TY's team?

LY we lost to wazzu because we needed Denker to play well if we were going to win - look at every game we lost and let me know which game Denker played really well and we should've won? Playing well in the 2nd half vs SC doesn't cut it either as he sucked balls the entire first half when the game was being decided.

We haven't even played a complete game as yet and we're still 5-0. Keep in mind that RR has a pretty decent record when playing at home (13-4 SU and 3-0 as a home dog). Other than that your post was spot on.
You can be overbearing. How does one know when a team has played a "complete game?" For all you know, that was our best effort Thursday. Do you ever talk to people you disagree with, rather than at them when they're not sufficiently homerish?

Lighten up, man.
Right where I want to be.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

gumby wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:God the usc game is so big...please don't shit the bed against unranked usc like most every other az team would
Really?

Please, somebody tell me how this team is like any other team that Arizona has had ever? Please name a coach and a team that compares to TY's team?

LY we lost to wazzu because we needed Denker to play well if we were going to win - look at every game we lost and let me know which game Denker played really well and we should've won? Playing well in the 2nd half vs SC doesn't cut it either as he sucked balls the entire first half when the game was being decided.

We haven't even played a complete game as yet and we're still 5-0. Keep in mind that RR has a pretty decent record when playing at home (13-4 SU and 3-0 as a home dog). Other than that your post was spot on.
You can be overbearing. How does one know when a team has played a "complete game?" For all you know, that was our best effort Thursday. Do you ever talk to people you disagree with, rather than at them when they're not sufficiently homerish?

Lighten up, man.
I agree, it's one of the reasons I tend to skip over his post. They aren't bad, just too homerish at times.
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

"Agree.

Some big factors for this game that I think bode well for UA. SC gives up a ton of yards via the rush as BC went off for 452 and they ran read option all game long. BC's QB ran for 191 on 14 carries and 2 RB's ran for 89 yards each respectively. Another player had 4 carries for 55 yards.
If RR was ever going to play Randall it might be this game as he could run read option with our 2 RB's all game long. Only 4 teams from the power 5 conferences give up more yards per rush than Sc at 4.9 yards a pop.

Then you see what Assu did to SC with Assu's back-up QB throwing for over 500 yards and it looks like RR has some options offensively. Really looking forward to how RR plays it on Sat night."

If you take the anomoly of BC out and recalculate, USC does pretty dang well against the rush. They certainly shut down ASUs rush. however, I beleive we have a much better running game than ASU.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Saint James wrote:If you take the anomoly of BC out and recalculate, USC does pretty dang well against the rush. They certainly shut down ASUs rush. however, I beleive we have a much better running game than ASU.
I'm not so sure they shut down ASU's run game, since it turned out they didn't really need one. Why should the Devils have been running the ball when Bercovici was torching them for 510 yards and 5 TDs through the air?
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

10? Wow. I love it, but don't buy it.

In fact, there sure were some "knee jerk" reactions to game outcomes going both ways- up and down the rankings.
Apparently, this has happened all season.

A&M jumped 10+ spots when they beat SCarolina (That win is not looking as good anymore)

TCU and Arizona's jump this week. I think Miss St jumped big for beating LSU.

Some big corrections to people's initial thoughts of teams + over reaction to current wins is causing the issue. Really wish they would wait 3-4 weeks into the season befor any rankings are released.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpenguin wrote:
Saint James wrote:If you take the anomoly of BC out and recalculate, USC does pretty dang well against the rush. They certainly shut down ASUs rush. however, I beleive we have a much better running game than ASU.
I'm not so sure they shut down ASU's run game, since it turned out they didn't really need one. Why should the Devils have been running the ball when Bercovici was torching them for 510 yards and 5 TDs through the air?
Granted the ASSu pass game was on they still tried to run it (22 times for 31 yards, only 8 attempts in the second half). I'd say they shut it down.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

#10 in AP poll is nice recognition. Believe Arizona ended up at #10 primarily because it would be "tougher" for voters to rationalize putting more 1-loss teams in ahead of Arizona that just beat Oregon on the Road. Although Ala and Mich St ended up ahead of Arizona with 1-loss.

Last week's top10 got clobbered. Great week for Arizona to play AND Beat Oregon.

Personally, I'm more interested in the Selection Committee 1st CFP poll that comes out end of Month. That one counts. I'm sure AP poll will still have some influence for Bowls etc., but it's diminishing in new "cfp" era.

With Arizona's bye week after USC, Arizona has 'only' two more games before the 1st CFP poll released. For me, will be interesting any differences in official 1st CFP poll and AP Poll.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

No. 2 McMurphy? You think this a "keep what you kill" circumstance?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lofty wrote: In fact, there sure were some "knee jerk" reactions to game outcomes going both ways- up and down the rankings.
Apparently, this has happened all season.

Stanford dropped big time after barely losing to an undefeated Notre Dame.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Stanford did not look good in that game. The offense was very ineffective. It was their second loss and that first one to USC led to people wondering if they might not be as good as thought.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

azgreg wrote:

He is trolling FSU fans isn't he?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:He is trolling FSU fans isn't he?
He predominantly does SEC games does he not?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gumby wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
Really?

Lighten up, man.
This x 1,000
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

whatisee wrote:Hard to believe we're #10...

We can beat this USC team...the defense needs to come ready to play

You gotta feel good about it being a home game. And a few days extra rest and prep as well. Hope it's not another slow start at home.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

cat77

Post by cat77 »

NYCat wrote:http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

(#17 in coaches)
Not bad. And probably a more accurate rank than our #10 was. Keep winning and keep rising.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

#7 CBS Sportsline
#16 AP
#16 ESPN Power Rankings
#17 USA/Coaches
#32 Jeff Sagarin
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I never really thought we were a top 10 team. 16 sounds more accurate.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

surprised. i thought we might drop out of the rankings.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

We lost to a very talented team. No shame in that. The only shame is in that we should have won. I'm happy that they still think highly enough to keep us in the poll.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The pollsters are all over the place with us. They have no idea where to rank us.

http://www.appollstalker.com/football/team/ua/2014
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

lol geez, anywhere from #6 to unranked still.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

This is about where I think we should be.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

#15 -- 5/6 teams in the PAC 12 South are in the top 25.

Needed that win vs USC.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

NYCat wrote:http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

#15 -- 5/6 teams in the PAC 12 South are in the top 25.

Needed that win vs USC.
the excitement around this program would have been through the f'ing roof if we had beaten usc, then with the losses this weekend, how high we would have been ranked.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Scott Wolf is a douche.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

So glade the coaches poll means jack now, they should just stop releasing it.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I didn't expect any changes in the polls since almost all the teams around and ahead of us won or had byes

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Will be interesting to see where the committee puts us on Tuesday.
-JB
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Jeff Sagarin has Arizona at #27 with a SOS of 49 this morning.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:I didn't expect any changes in the polls since almost all the teams around and ahead of us won or had byes
Oh but tcu curbstomps texas tech and all of a sudden they are a playoff team.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

KaibabKat wrote:Jeff Sagarin has Arizona at #27 with a SOS of 49 this morning.
I don't want whatever he is smoking. Wow.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Arizona should be in front of Asu and Ohio State for sure and probably Baylor too, but of course rankings don't work that way. Hopefully the playoff committee (the one that actually matters) can see this. Also I keep hearing about Oregon not being at full strength when Arizona beat them, what about Nick being out against USC? No excuses being made there.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

DMJ must be voting and keeping it real
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I fear that if an 11-1 oregon and 11-1 arizona show up on the conference champ game, we won't be able to beat them twice in a season

Big bummer.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Biggest thing that irks me is that we're 9 spots behind Oregon.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:Jeff Sagarin has Arizona at #27 with a SOS of 49 this morning.
I don't want whatever he is smoking. Wow.
Sagarin is a computer rating where he looks at who you played, where you played them, and the scoring differential,
so he is going to have a team such as Arizona lower than voters because of all the close games. We actually moved
up a couple spots this week.
-JB
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I didn't expect any changes in the polls since almost all the teams around and ahead of us won or had byes
Oh but tcu curbstomps texas tech and all of a sudden they are a playoff team.
Embrace your fears, Grasshopper.

We go 11-1 and face UO in the conference championship and I will be doing the happy dance all off-season long, regardless of the outcome. (Unless we got curb-stomped AND RR took the Florida job).

As for another matchup with Oregon, Beating them 2x in one season is more likely than:
- Going 11-1 this year
- Beating them in Eugene a year after annihilating them at home on Nat'l TV
- We face and beat them again and we are 5-5 in our last 10 against the Ducks. What other program can boast that?

We are in that enviable position where our next game is LEGITIMATELY THE biggest one of the season, and with each successive win the games get progressively bigger.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
That is completely stupid.

I don't care if you don't think AZ is a top 15 team, but they're without-a-doubt a top 25 team and any 'coach' (yeah yeah I know, no coach actually fills out their ballot, it's done by other people) who doesn't rank us in the top 25 based on our results so far this year is a moron.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

cats101

Post by cats101 »

Should have jumped Ohio State too. Loss to VT (anyone catch the VT-Miami game? Exactly) and a bunch of wins against mediocre teams.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

We're legit and we're going to beat UCLA.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

How is OSU above Arizona? In what world does that make sense?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
That is completely stupid.

I don't care if you don't think AZ is a top 15 team, but they're without-a-doubt a top 25 team and any 'coach' (yeah yeah I know, no coach actually fills out their ballot, it's done by other people) who doesn't rank us in the top 25 based on our results so far this year is a moron.
I don't think that's right.

From the Coaches Poll:
*Hi/Low Rankings

Hi/Low = The highest and lowest ranking each team has held during the designated season. Any team that starts the season unranked and/or falls out of the top 25 during the season will reflect a "NR" (not ranked) designation as its lowest rank.
I haven't been able to find individual coach's rankings like we can for the AP poll.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote: I don't think that's right.
Gimino might be wrong when he said it, but if he's right, it's stupid for anyone to have AZ unranked.