2019 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

OSUCat

Re: 2019 Season Thread

Post by OSUCat »

Alright, the start of the season optimism and excitement has hit.

Let’s have some exciting football!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I am one of those "bad fans" that Machina is always bashing. So what? I don't care, just as I don't care about this season. Just as I probably won't care about any season until these sorry-ass coaches are canned. Last season they turned an almost-sure 8-9 win season into a 5 win season, capped with possibly the most abysmal coaching job I have ver seen in the loss to ASsU. So my interest is gone until these coaches are gone -- maybe beyond that, if yet another fired retread is hired again.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

BBQ wildcat wrote:I am one of those "bad fans" that Machina is always bashing. So what? I don't care, just as I don't care about this season. Just as I probably won't care about any season until these sorry-ass coaches are canned. Last season they turned an almost-sure 8-9 win season into a 5 win season, capped with possibly the most abysmal coaching job I have ver seen in the loss to ASsU. So my interest is gone until these coaches are gone -- maybe beyond that, if yet another fired retread is hired again.
Like we care what you think. LOL
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

No one here cares what anyone thinks. That doesn't keep anyone from posting.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:I am one of those "bad fans" that Machina is always bashing. So what? I don't care, just as I don't care about this season. Just as I probably won't care about any season until these sorry-ass coaches are canned. Last season they turned an almost-sure 8-9 win season into a 5 win season, capped with possibly the most abysmal coaching job I have ver seen in the loss to ASsU. So my interest is gone until these coaches are gone -- maybe beyond that, if yet another fired retread is hired again.
A lot more people agree with him than with you.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Maybe on this board. But I think, overall, a lot more wildcat fans agree with me. Hell, even on this board, hardly anyone has expressed any interest.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

They start losing and people will turn off fast. I am tired of coaches that don’t care and the last two have not. I will always watch but I canceled my season tickets and when they asked why I told them exactly why. Hope we go 15-0 and I will be watching
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

1st game observations:

Tate is STILL not a QB

We do not have a single PAC12 level defensive tackle

We still have the slowest secondary in the PAC12

I think Sumlin needs to start working Gunnell into the lineup
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Going to be 25000 people there for NAU in 2 weeks
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Going to be 25000 people there for NAU in 2 weeks
And I will be one of them........at least there are a few actual Wildcat fans on this board.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dmjcat wrote:
And I will be one of them........at least there are a few actual Wildcat fans on this board.
Only bad fans support bad products.

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I said I was done with Sumlin at the end of last season. Doesn't look like he's going to make me eat my words.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
WRONG........Good fans support the team through thick and thin.

Bad Fans (You) jump ship at the first sign of trouble.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I mean...good for you that you want to spend time and money on watching...that.
You must have nothing else to do with your time.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

You're being way too optimistic.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

AZCatGirl wrote:I said I was done with Sumlin at the end of last season. Doesn't look like he's going to make me eat my words.
This is the particularly disappointing part. The second year is when you see truly good coaches field significantly improved teams. Even if the roster isn't any better, the penalties should be down, players should be making the blocks, running the routes, and handling the assignments they were missing the previous year. I just didn't see enough of that improvement watching last night. The secondary is completely lost and would've looked even worse if it weren't for the effort of the LBs. The DL was surprising ineffective. The gameplan on offense seemed a little off too. Most of this goes back to coaching.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not sure who that announcer was, the big guy, but he predicted the Hawaii plays based on their formation much better than Yates did. Same with his frustration with Yates rushing 3 when Hawaii had the empty backfield formation. Also with not bumping the Hawaii WRs when they got off the line, giving them a much better running start.

Rushing 3 has never worked out well in a Yates defense.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:I said I was done with Sumlin at the end of last season. Doesn't look like he's going to make me eat my words.
This is the particularly disappointing part. The second year is when you see truly good coaches field significantly improved teams. Even if the roster isn't any better, the penalties should be down, players should be making the blocks, running the routes, and handling the assignments they were missing the previous year. I just didn't see enough of that improvement watching last night. The secondary is completely lost and would've looked even worse if it weren't for the effort of the LBs. The DL was surprising ineffective. The gameplan on offense seemed a little off too. Most of this goes back to coaching.
Sumlin is too drunk 95% of the time to fix anything. Collect that paycheck though man.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merkin wrote:Not sure who that announcer was, the big guy, but he predicted the Hawaii plays based on their formation much better than Yates did. Same with his frustration with Yates rushing 3 when Hawaii had the empty backfield formation. Also with not bumping the Hawaii WRs when they got off the line, giving them a much better running start.

That was Rick Neuheisel and he wasn't the big guy.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Carcassdragger wrote:
Merkin wrote:Not sure who that announcer was, the big guy, but he predicted the Hawaii plays based on their formation much better than Yates did. Same with his frustration with Yates rushing 3 when Hawaii had the empty backfield formation. Also with not bumping the Hawaii WRs when they got off the line, giving them a much better running start.

That was Rick Neuheisel and he wasn't the big guy.
I think it was Aaron Taylor
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

scumdevils86 wrote:I mean...good for you that you want to spend time and money on watching...that.

Evidently, neither do you......you spend quite a bit of time on the football board whining and pissing. When do you plan on going away and stop posting about something you claim to have no interest in?? :lol:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dmjcat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:I mean...good for you that you want to spend time and money on watching...that.

Evidently, neither do you......you spend quite a bit of time on the football board whining and pissing. When do you plan on going away and stop posting about something you claim to have no interest in?? :lol:
You can have interest in the program but also refuse to spend money supporting a piss poor product. Honestly it shows far more true fandom and intelligence and self awareness to boycott a bad product than to blindly and dumbly support crap like you do.

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

For everyone who wants to throw the assistants (and Sumlin) under the bus I would point out that the talent level probably had more to do with yesterdays outcome than the coaching did.

247Sports PAC12 Recruiting Rankings for the past 5 years

9,9,10,11,10,11............I would say that we are playing at our talent level.

The loss of PJ Johnson to the draft (early entrant) was especially damaging to this years defense. It would have been nice yesterday to have 1 DT who could collapse the pocket. I suspect the outcome may have been different.

My biggest concern is that the recruiting shows no signs of improvement under Sumlin thus far.

Current 2020 Pac12 ranking - 11

Sumlin needs to turn this recruiting trend around ASAP or he needs to seek alternative employment. As for the current season we have to realize that he is largely still playing with a bunch of OKG's from RRods reign.
Last edited by dmjcat on Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

You can have interest in the program but also refuse to spend money supporting a piss poor product. Honestly it shows far more true fandom and intelligence and self awareness to boycott a bad product than to blindly and dumbly support crap like you do.

So you believe that boycotting AZ football (and depriving it of funds and fan support) and leaving the stands empty will help the UA????????????? I suppose you think that football recruits are attracted to empty stadiums???

Idiot.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dmjcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

So you believe that boycotting AZ football (and depriving it of funds and fan support) and leaving the stands empty will help the UA????????????? I suppose you think that football recruits are attracted to empty stadiums???

Idiot.
Actually I do. It will force the school to make changes and take things seriously to actually improve things. If the stands are full every week supporting an awful program...what incentive is there to change or win? You're truly the blind idiot here.

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

So you believe that boycotting AZ football (and depriving it of funds and fan support) and leaving the stands empty will help the UA????????????? I suppose you think that football recruits are attracted to empty stadium
Idiot.
Actually I do. It will force the school to make changes and take things seriously to actually improve things. If the stands are full every week supporting an awful program...what incentive is there to change or win? You're truly the blind idiot here.
You are truly clueless. The UA isn't going to do anything about Sumlin anytime soon.......they can't afford to (A problem which your boycotting directly contributes to). I suppose when Lute Olson won 11 games in his first season you were boycotting McKale Center/UA to "force" the UA to get rid of Olson??

Its no wonder we can't build a stable program with "Fans" like you.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

dmjcat wrote:For everyone who wants to throw the assistants (and Sumlin) under the bus I would point out that the talent level probably had more to do with yesterdays outcome than the coaching did.

The loss of PJ Johnson to the draft (early entrant) was especially damaging to this years defense. It would have been nice yesterday to have 1 DT who could collapse the pocket. I suspect the outcome may have been different.

My biggest concern is that the recruiting shows no signs of improvement under Sumlin thus far.

Sumlin needs to turn this recruiting trend around ASAP or he needs to seek alternative employment. As for the current season we have to realize that he is largely still playing with a bunch of OKG's from RRods reign.
Do you honestly think Hawaii has more talent than us?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Alieberman wrote:
dmjcat wrote:For everyone who wants to throw the assistants (and Sumlin) under the bus I would point out that the talent level probably had more to do with yesterdays outcome than the coaching did.

Do you honestly believe that we have a defensive back that was capable of covering Byrd last night?? Think about it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dmjcat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

Do you honestly believe that we have a defensive back that was capable of covering Byrd last night?? Think about it.
That didn't answer questions.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If we are already at “no, YOU’RE the bad fan!!!”, then this season is already an unmitigated disaster.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azgreg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

Yes, it did,

If you believe that the UA has vastly superior talent then why don't we have a single DB that could cover a 2 Star receiver??
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

dmjcat wrote:You are truly clueless. The UA isn't going to do anything about Sumlin anytime soon.......they can't afford to (A problem which your boycotting directly contributes to). I suppose when Lute Olson won 11 games in his first season you were boycotting McKale Center/UA to "force" the UA to get rid of Olson??

Remember how much hype and fan interest there was when Sumlin got here? Hire a good coach and that will come back. If fans unite in their disgust at what's going on it'll move things along that much faster.

Also, I'm sure boosters are just as disgusted and will help pay to fix this mess. I just hope the next hire has more thought put into it.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZCatGirl wrote:
dmjcat wrote:You are truly clueless. The UA isn't going to do anything about Sumlin anytime soon.......they can't afford to (A problem which your boycotting directly contributes to). I suppose when Lute Olson won 11 games in his first season you were boycotting McKale Center/UA to "force" the UA to get rid of Olson??

Remember how much hype and fan interest there was when Sumlin got here? Hire a good coach and that will come back. If fans unite in their disgust at what's going on it'll move things along that much faster.

Also, I'm sure boosters are just as disgusted and will help pay to fix this mess. I just hope the next hire has more thought put into it.
Yes I do remember.

I'm just of the opinion that if the UA had a much larger base of true "Fans" that showed up consistently we could actually attract better coaches/recruits.

Imagine if the UA football stadium was consistently as full as McKale center?? The millions in additional revenue would go a long way towards allowing the UA to hire better coaches and assistants.........and it would definitely attract a better brand of recruits.
prh

Post by prh »

Thinking Hawaii won because they have more talent than us is about the most clueless, head in the sand take there could possibly be.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

dmjcat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

Do I think Byrd is better than any of our DB's? Yes.

Do I think we could have altered our defensive scheme to help slow down this offense? FUCK YES.

Now again I ask... Do you think Hawaii has more talent than Arizona.

I answered your question, you can certainly answer mine, no?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

prh wrote:Thinking Hawaii won because they have more talent than us is about the most clueless, head in the sand take there could possibly be.
Older, more experienced starting roster and better coaches.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

dmjcat wrote:
Yes I do remember.

I'm just of the opinion that if the UA had a much larger base of true "Fans" that showed up consistently we could actually attract better coaches/recruits.

Imagine if the UA football stadium was consistently as full as McKale center?? The millions in additional revenue would go a long way towards allowing the UA to hire better coaches and assistants.........and it would definitely attract a better brand of recruits.
What were the attendance figures at McKale during the Lindsey years and Lute’s 11 win season?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dmjcat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

Yes, it did,

If you believe that the UA has vastly superior talent then why don't we have a single DB that could cover a 2 Star receiver??
No it didn't. Any receiver can get away from any DB if you give the QB the time that Hawaii QBs had last night.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Seems like a lot more people are thinking like me now. LOL
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BBQ wildcat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Seems like a lot more people are thinking like me now. LOL
I've been with you BBQ.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:

Yes I do remember.

There's only so long you can perform at or below mediocrity and have fans show. Arizona has been at or below medocrity pretty much the entire history of the school except for a few years here and there.

I'd argue our fan support is generally better than the play on the field. Of course it could be better, but the reality is that fans aren't going to consistently show up without signs of something to justify being there.

Arizona football might be one of the least exciting programs in the nation from a historical perspective. Like this year, where everything is screaming 4-6 wins or so. You don't build rabid fan bases off that, and a ton of our history is like that.

We have 3 ten win seasons in an 86 year school history.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
This is so pathetic and untrue
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

dmjcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Idiot.
It is amazing people actually believe this
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:We have 3 ten win seasons in an 86 year school history.
And no sole football conference championships ever in the WAC and PAC eras. Last sole conference championship was in the 1940's Border Conference. No NC ever. Duke has been to 2 Rose Bowls, the UA none.

Nick Foles is the only UA QB in the PAC era to take a snap in an UA game to take a snap in a NFL regular season game. 1 QB in 40 years, and he wasn't originally an UA recruit as he played for Michigan State.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

AZCatGirl wrote:

Ah the great "I am unhappy but someone else needs to pay to fix it"
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

You know who has the most losses against non power 5 schools the last decade? Kansas. You know who is #2? Yep you guessed it, Arizona. Now that is impressive.

You can bash the brothers all you want but they are not the fans the cats are losing. It’s guys like me who didn’t renew my 3 season tickets and many others who have gone to games for years.

Can we be replaced, sure. But who’s going to invest in the current product who is 0-5 against non power 5 schools in just the last 4 years
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PHXCATS wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:

Yea you, go right ahead.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

azcat49 wrote:You know who has the most losses against non power 5 schools the last decade? Kansas. You know who is #2? Yep you guessed it, Arizona. Now that is impressive.

You can bash the brothers all you want but they are not the fans the cats are losing. It’s guys like me who didn’t renew my 3 season tickets and many others who have gone to games for years.

Can we be replaced, sure. But who’s going to invest in the current product who is 0-5 against non power 5 schools in just the last 4 years
I went from 10 years ago buying 3 or 4 home game tickets, taking at least one road game a year (UCLA, Colorado, ASU), and buying merchandise directly from the school etc to now where I literally contribute nothing.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:You know who has the most losses against non power 5 schools the last decade? Kansas. You know who is #2? Yep you guessed it, Arizona. Now that is impressive.

It is a snowball. The more fans leave the bigger the problem will become. It is just a fact. NO, I repeat, NO coaches want to coach in front of no fans and no players want to play in front of no fans. Additionally no coaches want tp coach for less money. The best way to fix this is more money, not less. The big boosters have tapped more than they should have been. Need the fans to continue to show up and show up who havent if you want the best chance to make the changes you wish.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:

Yea you, go right ahead.
I am still donating, still going, and told Heeke to his face Saturday my thoughts.