DL Coach

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

tgrumpy2

DL Coach

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Has anyone heard anything in the rumor mill about a defensive line coach? I wouldn't think they're going to wait very long.
Woodcat

Re: DL Coach

Post by Woodcat »

I wonder if Sumlin was waiting until after the hire of the D-Coordinator, so that that person (Rhoads) would be part of that search process. I would imagine that Sumlin has conducted more than a few interviews. Another thing i wonder about is LB coach. UA just named ex UA LB Hobson as LB coach a couple of months ago. Yet Rhoads mentioned that he himself might be the LB coach. Does the UA completely cut ties with Hobson (and Cecil)? They need to get this stuff straightened out before the final signing period first week of February.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Scheer mentioned that Sumlin's goal is to have them for the first contact period, which is Jan. 16th.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Woodcat wrote:I wonder if Sumlin was waiting until after the hire of the D-Coordinator, so that that person (Rhoads) would be part of that search process. I would imagine that Sumlin has conducted more than a few interviews. Another thing i wonder about is LB coach. UA just named ex UA LB Hobson as LB coach a couple of months ago. Yet Rhoads mentioned that he himself might be the LB coach. Does the UA completely cut ties with Hobson (and Cecil)? They need to get this stuff straightened out before the final signing period first week of February.
I didn't want Cecil to be the DC but I do hope they retain him at his previous position. Hobson as well.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Can’t believe they haven’t sh#t canned the special teams coach and they should get rid of little Mazzone and add a defensive coach.

Would like to see Hobson retained as he looks like he could be a capable recruiter. No guys on the all PAC teams and I doubt we see and NFL draftees so we need better players

Mediocre talent with mediocre coaching is a bad recipe for any kind of success
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The fact that we still don’t have a DL coach is real fucking troubling. How are we supposed to reel in a kid like Jason Harris without one?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

The likely hiring of New Mexico defensive line coach Stan Eggen is a solid one and it remains to be seen if Rhoads will hire a safeties coach or another linebackers coach.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/A ... 141265164/" target="_blank
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Does anyone know anything about a defensive line coach. I would think if they were hiring the guy from NM some official announcement would have been made by now. Come on Sumlin, throw us a bone, tell us something even if its a damn lie.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

It just came to me who we need to get. EMFM!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

whatisee wrote:It just came to me who we need to get. EMFM!

Just resigned with the Niners

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dude is old!

https://golobos.com/coaches.aspx?rc=504" target="_blank

Stan Eggen Profile:
Born February 23, 1953
Hometown Philadelphia, Pa.
Alma Mater B.S., Education - Moorhead State, 1977; M.S., Education - North Dakota, 1981
Playing Experience Moorhead State 1972-76
Family Wife: Tina; Children: Sloane, Paige and Shelby
Coaching Experience:
2016-present New Mexico (Defensive Line)
2014-15 Iowa State (Defensive Line)
2009-13 Louisiana Tech (Defensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator)
2008 Louisiana Tech (Defensive Line)
2003-07 Texas A&M (Defensive Line)
2001-02 Alabama (Defensive Line)
1998-00 TCU (Defensive Line)
1997 New Mexico (Defensive Line)
1994-96 UNLV (Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers)
1993 Nevada (Inside Linebackers)
1991-92 UNLV (Defensive Ends/Linebackers)
1986-90 Utah State (Recruiting Coordinator/Inside Linebackers)
1984-85 Drake (Outside Linebackers)
1982-83 Memphis (Inside Linebackers)
1981 Southeast Missouri State (Linebackers)
1979-80 North Dakota (Defensive Backs Coach)
Postseason Coached (corresponding to the season, not the actual year of game):
2016 Gildan New Mexico Bowl
2011 Poinsettia Bowl
2008 Independence Bowl
2007 Alamo Bowl
2006 Alamo Bowl
2005 Holiday Bowl
2001 Cotton Bowl
2000 Independence Bowl
1999 Mobile Bowl
1998 Mobile Bowl
1997 Insight.com Bowl

1994 Las Vegas Bowl
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m sure he’ll do great on the recruiting trail and really connect with these 17 year olds.

“Son, are you on the Facebook?”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:I’m sure he’ll do great on the recruiting trail and really connect with these 17 year olds.

Nice way to ease into your retirement in sunny Tucson.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I like the hire. Maybe he can land Aaron Blackwell, a grad transfer from NM. The kid was a all MWC DT from New Mexico.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Everyone will be fired by December anyway. So yea, get one last paycheck and retire with your social security at age 67!
Sid

Post by Sid »

scumdevils86 wrote:Everyone will be fired by December anyway. So yea, get one last paycheck and retire with your social security at age 67!
Or....grant plays his arse off as QB #1 and Noel gets this offense humming and we get to a minor bowl. Odds aren’t in our favor, but stranger things have happened.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I get the hire. Sumlin needs experienced coaches as he likely has 1 year to show something. Getting a great recruiter (if there is such a thing for Arizona) that can't coach will do nothing for the 1 year he has to save his job. Got to coach up the guys we currently have.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No worse than that POS Iona that Sumlin hired. Guy couldn’t recruit and he couldn’t coach. This guy has to be better
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Scheer is saying the old boy had extensive JUCO contacts that could pay off immediately.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

wyo-cat wrote:Scheer is saying the old boy had extensive JUCO contacts that could pay off immediately.
let's hope so.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Chicat wrote:I’m sure he’ll do great on the recruiting trail and really connect with these 17 year olds.

Quit being an asshat. Herm up the road in Tempe is older than dirt and he connects with the kids. This probably is the best hire we could have made. This fella has actually coached and recruited at Power5 schools.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:

Quit being an asshat. Herm up the road in Tempe is older than dirt and he connects with the kids. This probably is the best hire we could have made. This fella has actually coached and recruited at Power5 schools.
You think Herm is doing the majority of the recruiting legwork?

Bless your heart...
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Chicat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

Bless your heart...
You think he's not doing any of it? Bless your heart right back. One of ASU's top recruits they got this year said Herm reminds him of his Dad and loves the guy. You're not even giving Eggen a chance. You're on him before he even hits town. Who did you think we were going to hire? Were you one of the ones thinking Big Joe would come back if we just asked him.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

Bless your heart...
You think he's not doing any of it? Bless your heart right back. One of ASU's top recruits they got this year said Herm reminds him of his Dad and loves the guy. You're not even giving Eggen a chance. You're on him before he even hits town. Who did you think we were going to hire? Were you one of the ones thinking Big Joe would come back if we just asked him.
If this hire makes your pecker move, I hope you’re right and I’m wrong.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Chicat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

Bless your heart...
If this hire makes your pecker move, I hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

Its not a matter of anyone's pecker moving here Chicat. I'm just a realist. Who the heck are you going to get to come here and take a position under a head coach that's firmly in the hot seat and may very well be gone next year? At this point, to be honest its probably not even about recruiting. Sumlin needs some defensive coaches that can get the most out of the recruits he already has. Then and only then if we manage to get to a bowl game next year and that hot seat cools off a bit, then start carping about the recruiting again. As far as I'm concerned the guy is our defensive line coach and I'm going to root for him. I'm not going to try and cut him off at the knees on this blog before I even see what he can do.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:At this point, to be honest its probably not even about recruiting.
Jason Harris would probably agree with you there.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Chicat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:At this point, to be honest its probably not even about recruiting.
Jason Harris would probably agree with you there.
Well gripers are gonna gripe and rooters are gonna root. That's what makes up a fan base and neither one has any control over much of anything.