THE Washington Huskies Discussion & Predictions Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: THE Washington Huskies Discussion & Predictions Thread

Post by Merkin »

In the 1990s UA was second in number of conference victories.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Is that chump even playing?
Hale started last game due to Marcus Peters dismissal from pgm. Hale been getting PT this season.
Hale stats:
10 GP Tackles
5 Solo Tackles
4 Asst Tackles
9 Total Tackles
Pass Defense BU 1
Pass Defense BD 1

I give the kid a pass for being a douchebag his senior year in high school. I can only imagine how big my head would have gotten if I was being recruiting by D1 programs. 8-)
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

azgreg wrote:
HELL YES... I am gonna DVR that for sure. Best football announcer in my opinion. Every game he announces sounds like the most exciting game ever.
AZMoon

Post by AZMoon »

I have an under 30' tailgate pass for this game and the ASU game that I cannot use. Will sell for $100. PM me if interested.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Hale got bumped back to backup. Still will get PT time. Huskies moved John Ross to CB this week to see more of him there. Shaq Thompson moved back to LB instead of RB for this game

Link to Chris Petersen press conference transcript and video.
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/huskyfoot ... st-we-can/
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote: Hale got bumped back to backup. Still will get PT time. Huskies moved John Ross to CB this week to see more of him there. Shaq Thompson moved back to LB instead of RB for this game

Link to Chris Petersen press conference transcript and video.
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/huskyfoot ... st-we-can/
Is "obnoxiously shiny helmet" the trend these days?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:In the 1990s UA was second in number of conference victories.
UW and UofA faded. Replaced by Oregon and Stanford.
Right where I want to be.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

RondaeShimmy wrote:An inexperienced secondary, but we have a Qb who routinely overthrows balls and makes bad throws. As usual like every game this season, need the run game (Wilson) to open up the passing game and make it easier for Solomon.
He's a RS Frosh playing his first season and that's all you can say about our QB? Let me help you out with some stats courtesy of AG:

He is the national leader among freshmen in completions (239), attempts (402), yards (2,816), yards per game (312.9) and touchdowns (25). He has four games with at least four touchdown passes.

When Solomon has been down, he hasn't been turnover-prone. He has thrown only five interceptions -- his 5-to-1 TD-to-INT ratio is one of the best in the nation -- and he has not fumbled. For a 7-2 team that has played so many close games, Solomon's contribution to a 59-3 edge in points off turnovers has been critical.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... man-111014
Last edited by dc4azcats on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I dont think there is any. question that Anu value's those posessions and if he is going to make an error it is likely to be a long throw incomplete. I think he learned that as a freshman to not beat himself and it has worked well
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

As has been stated many times before - rule #1 for a QB is take care of the football. One reason Denker did as well as he did was that, despite not being a tremendous talent, he want turning the ball over much at all. If the QB can take care of the ball then you can build the rest from there. Solomon has the QB job because he has far fewer of those "oh no" moments than the other QBs. As his accuracy and reads improve, he's going to be something really special. As it is he's already having a damn good year.

Again, UW feasts on turnovers and scores a lot of defensive TDs. Take care of the ball and you make them move the ball on offense. If you do that then your chances are good.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Rich Rod said today Anu Solomon is not the fastest, not the best arm but he can make all the throws and he's not perfect. He added that Solomon's two greatest strengths is his intelligence and decision making capabilities. That the offensive scheme is complicated and it takes time and practice to make reads, build intuition and make a decision.

Said Solomon's biggest struggle is trusting the system and trusting what he's reading. A Natural struggle for his QB's in his system

The intelligence part was that Solomon self-diagnoses his mistakes often before he can tell Solomon himself. Which is a big key in improving. Rich Rod praised Solomon's decision making for a Freshman. Said Solomon is as good if not better freshman QB he's ever coached (includes Pat White and Denard Robinson who played as Freshman but were not the full-time QB). That he believes Solomon will only improve.

I believe Rich Rod. Don't think he's blowing all smoke. He and Rod Smith have coach some pretty damn good college QB's. Seen how QB's progress in their system. Solomon has had a really great year for a FRESHMAN. He's got what (5) INT's? Just in context to other QB's in Arizona history, Solomon is already listing on some of the CAREER school QB record lists. Not even thru the 1st season.

I Believe what Rich Rod is saying about him.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

25 tds and 5 ints 75% of the way through a regular season...with 7 wins is pretty damn awesome in my book for an Arizona qb. But for a freshman qb? That's amazing.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

illcat wrote:Agree gladiator cat this team isn't rolling anyone. The Cats my beat washington but they wont roll them.
I predict we roll them.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Back at the fall scrimmage before last season, I got my first chance to see Solomon in action. It was clear to me and the guy I was watching with right away - Solomon's got "it." RR knows what he's got with him and what he turns Solomon into can be a statement that Rodriguez is one of the best coaches around.

As for learning the system and the reads and trusting what you're doing... Randall said learning this system is the hardest thing he's ever done.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Last edited by azgreg on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

scumdevils86 wrote:25 tds and 5 ints 75% of the way through a regular season...with 7 wins is pretty damn awesome in my book for an Arizona qb. But for a freshman qb? That's amazing.
It is. We have issues, but this isn't one of them. He is way beyond "Arizona good" as a QB.

It's all about line play and getting stronger. And special teams.
Right where I want to be.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

From ESPN's PAC-12 blog;
Washington WR Kasen Williams needs 12 catches to tie Paul Skansi for third on the school's all-time receptions list.

Washington OLB Hau'oli Kikaha has more sacks (16.5) than 15 Power 5 teams.

Arizona LB Scooby Wright III has forced more fumbles (5) than 27 FBS teams.

Washington has gone three-and-out 24 times in conference play, the most in the Pac-12.

Arizona is averaging 88.5 plays per game in Pac-12 play, the second most in the conference.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Excited for this day game. Washington is a good team and if their offense can muster up some points it'll be a tough game.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Sad to see that this game isn't a sell out, I see plenty of seats available online. God, we are 7-2 overall, 4-2 in conference play, ranked 14th in the CFP, and playing a conference game against a worthy UW. I mean, we are a missed field goal away from still being in the NC discussion....and then it wasn't until ASU beat ND that we sold out the ASU game out. I'm afraid there will be plenty of scummies annoying the hell out of us on Black Friday. I know it is a "chicken or the egg" discussion but we really ought to be better than that if we expect to be perennial winners. :|
WildcatLouis

Post by WildcatLouis »

UALoco wrote:Sad to see that this game isn't a sell out, I see plenty of seats available online. God, we are 7-2 overall, 4-2 in conference play, ranked 14th in the CFP, and playing a conference game against a worthy UW. I mean, we are a missed field goal away from still being in the NC discussion....and then it wasn't until ASU beat ND that we sold out the ASU game out. I'm afraid there will be plenty of scummies annoying the hell out of us on Black Friday. I know it is a "chicken or the egg" discussion but we really ought to be better than that if we expect to be perennial winners. :|
Not to take this thread off-topic, but football attendance is the one issue that makes me worried about the ability to keep Byrne and RichRod for the long haul. Byrne has bent over backwards to get fans in the stands - lowered ticket prices, installed new video boards, given out prizes, enhanced the wireless signals, etc. At times Byrne seems like he doesn't know what else to do to appease fans. This game shouldn't have as many tickets available as it does - good opponent on what should be a beautiful Tucson day with a lot still at stake for a team ranked 14th in the nation. We cannot complain about not getting enough 4-5 star athletes when we as fans are not doing our part. Just ask Sean Miller how much it helps his cause when games are consistently sold-out.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

There is a large contingent of the fanbase (myself included by and large) that are hesitant to completely buy in until the program can prove it's not just 'the same old Cats'. The Cats that get your hopes up, just to lose to the LA schools and throw a bucket of cold water all over our hopes and dreams. :-)
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

if they held the games in phoenix this wouldn't be an issue...
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

UAdevil wrote:There is a large contingent of the fanbase (myself included by and large) that are hesitant to completely buy in until the program can prove it's not just 'the same old Cats'. The Cats that get your hopes up, just to lose to the LA schools and throw a bucket of cold water all over our hopes and dreams. :-)
So when will these fans start showing up then? When the team runs the table? What happens when the team has a couple of good years and then has a 8-5 season with a disappointing loss thrown in? Are all of you guys just going to say "eh, same ol' Cats" and go back to not showing up?

RichRod and these guys have been busting it trying to build this program up. Yes, they lost a couple of games and that sucked. They also smacked down Oregon and are 7-2, and still are not out of the race for the South. So, what really is it going to take to get people to show up?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

If we played a 3-4 defense we would fill the joint!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

How many tickets have sold for the UW game? I don't know where to get that data.

Anyhow....
azpenguin wrote: So when will these fans start showing up then? When the team runs the table? What happens when the team has a couple of good years and then has a 8-5 season with a disappointing loss thrown in? Are all of you guys just going to say "eh, same ol' Cats" and go back to not showing up?
This is a silly argument/statement/question. First of all, you propose some hypothetical that hasn't happened in...how long...if ever? Also, what exactly defines a "good year"? You don't think that multiple years of a high level of success wouldn't mean sustained higher attendance numbers compared with the numbers before that level of success? Anyhow...here's some attendance numbers for this year.

Attendance for Cal game = 45595
Attendance for USC game = 56754
Attendance for CU game = 50177

Given the crapping all over ourselves on offense that occurred against UCLA, I'd say that attendance number for CU was pretty darn good.

Also, I don't think it's all that surprising that fans aren't excited about facing a bad UW team. Yes, I called them bad. They're 2-4 in pac12 play and have beaten nobody. Of course, other than Oregon, the same could be said for us....
azpenguin wrote: RichRod and these guys have been busting it trying to build this program up. Yes, they lost a couple of games and that sucked. They also smacked down Oregon and are 7-2, and still are not out of the race for the South. So, what really is it going to take to get people to show up?
First, while you are technically correct that we're not "out of the race for the South" the reality is that most fans feel that we are, because it takes a chain of events that we don't control, to actually happen, on top of us running the table. So, we're not out of it, but we're really close to that.

Second, the fan base is going to be reactionary until they see sustained &/or big results. Especially when the cost of going to a Basketball game is factored against Football (and don't argue that they shouldn't compete against each other, the reality is that they do in Tucson). Oh, and did beating Oregon happen at AZ stadium? Or did just beating some bad teams and losing to the only good team we've seen yet at home actually happen? The fans are going to factor that in when they look at their wallets.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

UAdevil wrote:There is a large contingent of the fanbase (myself included by and large) that are hesitant to completely buy in until the program can prove it's not just 'the same old Cats'. The Cats that get your hopes up, just to lose to the LA schools and throw a bucket of cold water all over our hopes and dreams. :-)
I know it's true and there's plenty of you on the board buts it's still embarrassing. Put on the big boy pants and support your freaking school. I went to every freaking game when Wacko was the coach and I didn't go because I expected us to win. I went because of everything associated with a Saturday football game. Tailgating with friends and family, then watching the game, bitching about the game afterwards. It sucked big time but it never changed how I felt about the school or the team.

Since RR has been coach I can't tell you how many great games I've sat through that are games I will talk about for a long time to come. Start with the Ok St game in '12 - azcat49 and I were lamenting at the Cats being down 17-0 with the ball and what happens if we go 3 and out? We go down and score and put up 34 unanswered. It was awesome!! I can promise you this - we didn't sit there and say if we lose this game we're not coming back until they can show us that they're for real this time.

The Oregon game last year - we spent 3 quarter of that game waiting for Oregon to come back and beat us. We spent the entire halftime debating how many points we still needed to put up to have a chance at winning the game. It was awesome to have been there and witnessed that W. At that point the L to Wazzu didn't mean squat because we had just beaten a top 5 team.

This year against Cal - we were upset the entire game because Cal was moving the ball at will and we couldn't get the stop that would get us over the hump. Then we hit the Hail Mary and it was total bedlam where we sit. One of our friends almost killed both azcat49 and myself as he practically tackled us with excitement. Meanwhile you're sitting at home and turned the game off at halftime. Let's see, azcat49 and I get to tell people how crazy of a game it was and how awesome it was to be there and you get to tell people that you didn't go to the game because your just not sure if they're for real or not and you don't want to be let down again.

I'm a long time season ticket holder and have seen the lowest of the lows with Arizona football and the highest of the highs. RR's team(s) are unlike any other team(s) we've ever had for the simple reason that we can win any game. We walk into that stadium on Saturdays knowing that no matter who we're playing we can win the game and it's going to be a fun game to watch. The SC game was gut wrenching. Walking out of that stadium was maybe the worse ever because everybody stayed till the end and thus it took a long time to get out of the stadium. It was a silent march as nobody wanted to talk about the game. But I remember azcat49 and I talking about how it sucked but it was amazing that we were even in it at the end as we had missed the 2 pt conversion and the game should've ended right then. You and the large fan base that wants to know if we're for real missed all of the above.

You and your large contingent also missed the greatest RB in Arizona history in KaDeem Carey and your missing the QB in Anu Solomon who, if he stays healthy, will shatter every QB record on the books, as you're waiting to find out if this team is real or not. Don't go to the games and continue to wonder and when you realize that while you were "wondering" you will have missed a ton of incredible games that you can't talk about because you weren't freaking there. Life is way, way, to short to spend time wondering if I should or shouldn't because they might let me down again.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Wow. I can't believe folks defend those "observers" who refuse to support the team. I call them observers because they are not "fans" in my book. Fan is short for fanatic, which to me means you support your team. If you've played or even supported someone who played football, you know how much of a committment it it is. These kids deserve support even if they racked up a couple of losses. I understand, it is tough to get emotionally vested to be dissappointed. Even when UA is bad, I'll support the team and look for things that might provide hope, "are we improving?, are some of the younger guys stepping up?" There is a such thing as a good loss. "did the team play their hearts out or give up?" I have yet to see this team give up and to me, that is a huge victory. If you are still on the fence, stop writing on the board and show up. Otherwise, do us a favor and somehow notate start your posts with "observer here" so I can move along to the next post....and yes I am calling out the Tuscon folks who don't show. UW will be tough, they are one of the bigger teams in the PAC and we have struggled against big, physical teams. This game is not a lock and if you don't know that, you haven't been paying attention. Ok..I'm done..I usually wont read a post longer than 2 or 3 lines. It just pissed me off to see Byrne practically begging folks in twitter and emails to buy tickets and drag friends to the game..just embarrassing.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

UALoco wrote:Wow. I can't believe folks defend those "observers" who refuse to support the team. I call them observers because they are not "fans" in my book. Fan is short for fanatic, which to me means you support your team. If you've played or even supported someone who played football, you know how much of a committment it it is. These kids deserve support even if they racked up a couple of losses. I understand, it is tough to get emotionally vested to be dissappointed. Even when UA is bad, I'll support the team and look for things that might provide hope, "are we improving?, are some of the younger guys stepping up?" There is a such thing as a good loss. "did the team play their hearts out or give up?" I have yet to see this team give up and to me, that is a huge victory. If you are still on the fence, stop writing on the board and show up. Otherwise, do us a favor and somehow notate start your posts with "observer here" so I can move along to the next post....and yes I am calling out the Tuscon folks who don't show. UW will be tough, they are one of the bigger teams in the PAC and we have struggled against big, physical teams. This game is not a lock and if you don't know that, you haven't been paying attention. Ok..I'm done..I usually wont read a post longer than 2 or 3 lines. It just pissed me off to see Byrne practically begging folks in twitter and emails to buy tickets and drag friends to the game..just embarrassing.
Preach it brother!!
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

dc4azcats wrote:
I know it's true and there's plenty of you on the board buts it's still embarrassing. Put on the big boy pants and support your freaking school. I went to every freaking game when Wacko was the coach and I didn't go because I expected us to win. I went because of everything associated with a Saturday football game. Tailgating with friends and family, then watching the game, bitching about the game afterwards. It sucked big time but it never changed how I felt about the school or the team.

Since RR has been coach I can't tell you how many great games I've sat through that are games I will talk about for a long time to come. Start with the Ok St game in '12 - azcat49 and I were lamenting at the Cats being down 17-0 with the ball and what happens if we go 3 and out? We go down and score and put up 34 unanswered. It was awesome!! I can promise you this - we didn't sit there and say if we lose this game we're not coming back until they can show us that they're for real this time.

The Oregon game last year - we spent 3 quarter of that game waiting for Oregon to come back and beat us. We spent the entire halftime debating how many points we still needed to put up to have a chance at winning the game. It was awesome to have been there and witnessed that W. At that point the L to Wazzu didn't mean squat because we had just beaten a top 5 team.

This year against Cal - we were upset the entire game because Cal was moving the ball at will and we couldn't get the stop that would get us over the hump. Then we hit the Hail Mary and it was total bedlam where we sit. One of our friends almost killed both azcat49 and myself as he practically tackled us with excitement. Meanwhile you're sitting at home and turned the game off at halftime. Let's see, azcat49 and I get to tell people how crazy of a game it was and how awesome it was to be there and you get to tell people that you didn't go to the game because your just not sure if they're for real or not and you don't want to be let down again.

I'm a long time season ticket holder and have seen the lowest of the lows with Arizona football and the highest of the highs. RR's team(s) are unlike any other team(s) we've ever had for the simple reason that we can win any game. We walk into that stadium on Saturdays knowing that no matter who we're playing we can win the game and it's going to be a fun game to watch. The SC game was gut wrenching. Walking out of that stadium was maybe the worse ever because everybody stayed till the end and thus it took a long time to get out of the stadium. It was a silent march as nobody wanted to talk about the game. But I remember azcat49 and I talking about how it sucked but it was amazing that we were even in it at the end as we had missed the 2 pt conversion and the game should've ended right then. You and the large fan base that wants to know if we're for real missed all of the above.

You and your large contingent also missed the greatest RB in Arizona history in KaDeem Carey and your missing the QB in Anu Solomon who, if he stays healthy, will shatter every QB record on the books, as you're waiting to find out if this team is real or not. Don't go to the games and continue to wonder and when you realize that while you were "wondering" you will have missed a ton of incredible games that you can't talk about because you weren't freaking there. Life is way, way, to short to spend time wondering if I should or shouldn't because they might let me down again.

Lol. No. I go to 3 or 4 games a year. I've seen many of those moments. Just not compelled to go to EVERY game for a product that much of the time is less than entertaining.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

UAdevil wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

Lol. No. I go to 3 or 4 games a year. I've seen many of those moments. Just not compelled to go to EVERY game for a product that much of the time is less than entertaining.
Less than entertaining? You're better off sticking to the "wondering if they will let me down again". Talk about Lol.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

:roll:
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

I go to all the games but now do it with a little bit of resentment. The UA has totally dropped the ball getting people to the game and getting away after the game. The parking department is filled with idiots, they stopped driving in buses from El Con and other places, no coordination using the light rail, every year for the past five years they screwed up my parking pass. I could go on. I gave up trying to get someone rational to deal with the issue and now no longer buy a parking permit. Parking in garages that take 45 minutes to get out of is not a solution.

I have talked with many fans that do not go to games because of parking. It would also help to get an announcer that has a sense of the game.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Not an attempt to make comment on attendance (or lack of) for UDUB game. Just supplying some attendance stats:

This season is showing a good uptick in average per home game attendance. At least when compared to previous Arizona years. LY's avg attendance was 47,619. Which is a very low avg for Arizona. Goes back a decade for low avg.

This year already knowing ASU game sold out, thru six (including ASU) home games, average is 51,000 Plus. If UDUB draws as low as 45,000, this year's avg/game will be roughly 50,000 plus (Cats likely avg more per game this year than 1998 12-1 season - go figure?!)

Compared to other years at Arizona, that's a pretty good avg per game jump. There was a 7,000 plus avg/game jump in Stoops 1st year (2004). Actually, during Stoops tenure, the attendance was solid. Even during Stoops losing record years. That 7,000plus avg jump in 2004 was the LOWEST avg year during his tenure other than 2011 when he was fired.

Know struggling with attendance a general trend nationally. But giving some applause to Byrne and staff trying to work at it. (#BeTheOne, zoo T-shirts, prizes, fan committee and engagement etc.)

year avg/attend record
1998 - 50,206 12-1
1999 - 51,151 6-6
2000 - 49,439 5-6
2001 - 44,383 5-6
2002 - 45,005 4-8
2003 - 42,765 2-10
2004 - 50,111 3-8 Mike Stoops 1st Year
2005 - 53,613 3-8
2006 - 55,798 6-6
2007 - 52,161 5-7
2008 - 52,440 8-5
2009 - 52,555 8-5 Sean Miller Hired
2010 - 55,408 7-6
2011 - 48,953 4-8
2012 - 47,931 8-5 *NEZ Capacity 51811 P12Network Launched / RR 1st Year
2013 - 47,619 8-5
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

dc4azcats wrote:Put on the big boy pants and support your freaking school.

You and the large fan base that wants to know if we're for real missed all of the above.
Forgive the condensed quote, but these two lines I wanted to respond to.

1) apparently if you don't go buy tickets you're not supporting your school. Sucks if you're poor (a.k.a. a huge amount of Tucsonans), guess you're not a real fan!

2) They have this thing now, it's called T.V. Amazingly enough, you can watch sports on it and not miss great comebacks! You can even do it in the presence of other fans!
UALoco wrote:Wow. I can't believe folks defend those "observers" who refuse to support the team. I call them observers because they are not "fans" in my book. Fan is short for fanatic, which to me means you support your team.
So the only way to show real "fan" support is buy buying a ticket? Well fuck, better tell Byrne to turn down all the T.V. money the school gets! Oh, and better stop selling advertisements that are displayed on T.V., etc. etc. etc.

This is stupid. You can be a fanatic and not attend the game. Example: Chicat. He's not in the fucking state of Arizona, uh oh, he can't attend games, he's not a fanatic!

Fucking ridiculous all of this fan-dick-size-measuring based upon buying a ticket. I'm sure Byrne hates the merchandising money too (we all know, there's no money in that!)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Not an attempt to make comment on attendance (or lack of) for UDUB game. Just supplying some attendance stats:

This season is showing a good uptick in average per home game attendance. At least when compared to previous Arizona years. LY's avg attendance was 47,619. Which is a very low avg for Arizona. Goes back a decade for low avg.

This year already knowing ASU game sold out, thru six (including ASU) home games, average is 51,000 Plus. If UDUB draws as low as 45,000, this year's avg/game will be roughly 50,000 plus (Cats likely avg more per game this year than 1998 12-1 season - go figure?!)

Compared to other years at Arizona, that's a pretty good avg per game jump. There was a 7,000 plus avg/game jump in Stoops 1st year (2004). Actually, during Stoops tenure, the attendance was solid. Even during Stoops losing record years. That 7,000plus avg jump in 2004 was the LOWEST avg year during his tenure other than 2011 when he was fired.

Know struggling with attendance a general trend nationally. But giving some applause to Byrne and staff trying to work at it. (#BeTheOne, zoo T-shirts, prizes, fan committee and engagement etc.)

year avg/attend record
1998 - 50,206 12-1
1999 - 51,151 6-6
2000 - 49,439 5-6
2001 - 44,383 5-6
2002 - 45,005 4-8
2003 - 42,765 2-10
2004 - 50,111 3-8 Mike Stoops 1st Year
2005 - 53,613 3-8
2006 - 55,798 6-6
2007 - 52,161 5-7
2008 - 52,440 8-5
2009 - 52,555 8-5 Sean Miller Hired
2010 - 55,408 7-6
2011 - 48,953 4-8
2012 - 47,931 *NEZ Capacity 51811 P12Network Launched / RR 1st Year
2013 - 47,619
Hey now, none of these "facts" and acknowledgement of national trends.

This is an argument where if you don't attend the game, you aren't a real fan!

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Saint James wrote:I go to all the games but now do it with a little bit of resentment. The UA has totally dropped the ball getting people to the game and getting away after the game. The parking department is filled with idiots, they stopped driving in buses from El Con and other places, no coordination using the light rail, every year for the past five years they screwed up my parking pass. I could go on. I gave up trying to get someone rational to deal with the issue and now no longer buy a parking permit. Parking in garages that take 45 minutes to get out of is not a solution.

I have talked with many fans that do not go to games because of parking. It would also help to get an announcer that has a sense of the game.
The bus shuttle is not the school's fault and there's nothing they could have done about it. They had the deal with Sun Tran to run the shuttle. However, over the offseason, a private company submitted a bid to run the shuttle. The bid wasn't workable for the school, however, there's a state law that requires Sun Tran to not compete with private business. Under this law, the simple submission of that bid, no matter how outlandish, is enough to require Sun Tran to cease running the shuttle.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azpenguin wrote:
Saint James wrote:I go to all the games but now do it with a little bit of resentment. The UA has totally dropped the ball getting people to the game and getting away after the game. The parking department is filled with idiots, they stopped driving in buses from El Con and other places, no coordination using the light rail, every year for the past five years they screwed up my parking pass. I could go on. I gave up trying to get someone rational to deal with the issue and now no longer buy a parking permit. Parking in garages that take 45 minutes to get out of is not a solution.

The bus shuttle is not the school's fault and there's nothing they could have done about it. They had the deal with Sun Tran to run the shuttle. However, over the offseason, a private company submitted a bid to run the shuttle. The bid wasn't workable for the school, however, there's a state law that requires Sun Tran to not compete with private business. Under this law, the simple submission of that bid, no matter how outlandish, is enough to require Sun Tran to cease running the shuttle.
that whole situation baffles me.

So, if some guy (say me) offers through a bid, to ferry people around in an minivan, that would preclude SunTran from doing it?

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
azpenguin wrote:

So, if some guy (say me) offers through a bid, to ferry people around in an minivan, that would preclude SunTran from doing it?
It would have to be a realistic bid. You in a minivan? No, because the scope of the job is to be able to ferry a couple of thousand people (I think they said 1600 a game used the shuttle last year.) But if you're able to do the job as the school needs it, then you can preclude the city from doing it. I could be remembering wrong, but I think GB said that they would have had to substantially raise fares to use that bidder.

I do agree that there should be better coordination with the streetcar, though. They need to run more often on the hours before and after the game, because it's a popular option judging from the packed cars.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azpenguin wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
azpenguin wrote:

It would have to be a realistic bid. You in a minivan? No, because the scope of the job is to be able to ferry a couple of thousand people (I think they said 1600 a game used the shuttle last year.) But if you're able to do the job as the school needs it, then you can preclude the city from doing it. I could be remembering wrong, but I think GB said that they would have had to substantially raise fares to use that bidder.

I do agree that there should be better coordination with the streetcar, though. They need to run more often on the hours before and after the game, because it's a popular option judging from the packed cars.
Ah ok, guess it was the "no matter how outlandish" that made me think up something too outlandish :lol:

But still, such a silly thing, that a bid that realistically never had a chance of being accepted could cause SunTran to be unable to compete. Lame.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpenguin wrote:It would have to be a realistic bid. You in a minivan? No
What if POM had 2 minivans? Would that be better? :mrgreen:
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

PAC 12 Blog's unanimous prediction on the game:
Arizona over Washington: Thanks primarily to the running backbone that Shaq Thompson has supplied, Washington showed some improvement offensively last week. But that unit still doesn’t pack enough punch to inspire great confidence, especially when the Huskies’ defense is now limping and unable to provide suffocating support. Anu Solomon, Scooby Wright and the gang simply have more firepower, and the Wildcats will back that advantage up in a critical game for them at home. -- David Lombardi
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Just don't make the same mistake I did - check to see how your advertising looks with the doors open!

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I thought that was an ASSU van. Appropriate no?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I baffles me that more Tucson people don't get season tickets. U of A has a great product. I live a long ways away and have been to at least one game for the last four years and always have a GREAT time.

I'd certainly have season tix if I lived in Tucson.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:
Hmm, I could rent a windowless cargo van or two. Maybe that would work better.....
ANGCatFan wrote:PAC 12 Blog's unanimous prediction on the game:
Arizona over Washington: Thanks primarily to the running backbone that Shaq Thompson has supplied, Washington showed some improvement offensively last week. But that unit still doesn’t pack enough punch to inspire great confidence, especially when the Huskies’ defense is now limping and unable to provide suffocating support. Anu Solomon, Scooby Wright and the gang simply have more firepower, and the Wildcats will back that advantage up in a critical game for them at home. -- David Lombardi
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Just don't make the same mistake I did - check to see how your advertising looks with the doors open!

Good Idea, wouldn't want to be mistaken for...
azcat49 wrote:I thought that was an ASSU van. Appropriate no?
:lol:

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:Put on the big boy pants and support your freaking school.

You and the large fan base that wants to know if we're for real missed all of the above.
Forgive the condensed quote, but these two lines I wanted to respond to.

1) apparently if you don't go buy tickets you're not supporting your school. Sucks if you're poor (a.k.a. a huge amount of Tucsonans), guess you're not a real fan!

2) They have this thing now, it's called T.V. Amazingly enough, you can watch sports on it and not miss great comebacks! You can even do it in the presence of other fans!
UALoco wrote:Wow. I can't believe folks defend those "observers" who refuse to support the team. I call them observers because they are not "fans" in my book. Fan is short for fanatic, which to me means you support your team.
So the only way to show real "fan" support is buy buying a ticket? Well fuck, better tell Byrne to turn down all the T.V. money the school gets! Oh, and better stop selling advertisements that are displayed on T.V., etc. etc. etc.

This is stupid. You can be a fanatic and not attend the game. Example: Chicat. He's not in the fucking state of Arizona, uh oh, he can't attend games, he's not a fanatic!

Fucking ridiculous all of this fan-dick-size-measuring based upon buying a ticket. I'm sure Byrne hates the merchandising money too (we all know, there's no money in that!)

OK. if you are poor and out of state..you are exempted...anymore corner cases we want to get pedantic about? BTW..if you can't afford $20 for a ticket..or less on the secondary market...you got bigger issues and should focus on economics vs farting around on a board. And you forgot to quote the "Tucson" comment. Point is, UW should be a sellout. Don't get defensive. Who care's what I say, I'm a fanatic!
Last edited by UALoco on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azgreg wrote:
Depends. Can we put people on the roof?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpenguin wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Depends. Can we put people on the roof?
Sure, don't tell OSHA.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

7-2, ranked #14 by the committee with 3 games left to play.......and we're going to draw about 45,000. Pathetic.

Call it a dick measuring contest by some of us all you want. If you live in Tucson, are a Cats fan or grad, and you're not dirt ass poor......and you don't go to games......then yeah, you are a bad fan. Sorry. Why is it sacrilege to call some of you bad fans? If you are.....you are. Doesn't make you a bad person, you're just a bad fan.

'The product isn't entertaining enough'. 'Historically, I always get let down'. 'The Washington game is meaningless'. I don't even know where to start with the absurdity of some of these.....so I won't even try.

I know before the season when I saw this game sandwiched between Homecoming and the asu game, that Tucson wouldn't show. It feels exactly like the wsu game last year, that was sandwiched between UCLA and Oregon home games. The stadium was half full with zero energy, and the players came out of the locker room and played with no energy. (And no I'm not saying that players level of effort should be dictated by how many people are in the stands.....but there is some human nature at play there). I sure hope this game turns out better than that one did.

I love how since our chances of winning the South are pretty remote, that suddenly the next two games before assu are 'meaningless'. It's a F*&%ING conference game and we're trying to take a huge jump this year from an 8 win program.....maybe to a 10 win program. Do you not F*&%ING see why that's important for the program moving forward???

Go ahead and just play pocket pool at your house during every home game, unless we're ranked in the Top 4 and are 3 games in front in the Pac South. Sorry that the thought of going to watch your team play an important conference football game in 75 degree sunshiny weather on a Saturday afternoon....is such a chore.