18 Derick Mourning

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

18 Derick Mourning

Post by ANGCatFan »

Mourning is a 6-3, 229, Freshman linebacker from Paetow HS, Katy, TX. Last year he had 75 tackles (10 for loss), 7 sacks, 4 break-ups, 3 fumble recoveries, 1 forced fumble, and 1 interception. Mourning had a very unimpressive offer list explained well in Brandon Combs' (AZ Desert Swarm) evaluation:
I can not stress this enough....his offer list DOES NOT reflect his talent. His offer list reflects the worry that programs had about his academics. Now, Arizona would not have offered nor taken the pledge if they didn’t have a plan. WIth that being said he should be good to go.

Now, to his game. Mourning is a football player, plain and simple. He is a disruptive force off the edge. An absolute monster. He is explosive, fast, and effective.

The very first play of his highlights shows him chasing a running back down and making the tackle. Not only is his speed impressive but so is his vision, footbal IQ, and ability to dissect plays.

The rest of his film shows him being an absolute menace to QBs everywhere. His stats say it all: 20 career tackles for loss, nine sacks, and 20 career hurries.

This is a fantastic late get for the ‘Cats. He will benefit greatly from the new system and I can easily see him getting playing time early.
ANGCatFan

Re: 18 Derick Mourning

Post by ANGCatFan »

Bump because his new number is up.

Mourning has had a great camp and is competing to start at linebacker (likely outside). Even if he doesn't start he will be a significant part of our very limited linebacker rotation.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I like the "sound" of his stats and evaluation.

God knows our defense is craving for players that get after people.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We will see a lot of this guy this year. I think his brother plays for Texas
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Into the portal.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wow he either can’t hack the workouts or they like other guys on a thin roster of LB’s
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion