Who will be our QB?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Carcassdragger

Who will be our QB?

Post by Carcassdragger »

Assuming we have a season next year, who will it be?

Gunnell is going to be great. It's a shame we lost him.

I think Plummer has a high ceiling. Never seen Doyle, but considering what I've heard about him, its curious that he hasnt taken any snaps. The new kid, Millen, looks good on tape.

Whoever it is, he will get pummeled unless our line improves by alot.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
DrWildcat

Re: Who will be our QB?

Post by DrWildcat »

Gunnell would have been a fine college QB, nothing special IMO. I mean he did transfer to a group of 5 school, which seems about right to me as he is physically limited. I really think Plummer had better physical tools than Gunnell but his decision making seems questionable. Although, it is hard to judge a true freshman behind that Oline.

Anyway, it seems like the coaching staff is looking at the portal for the a QB. Not sure how successful they will be but I guess we will see. Either way, we need to improve the Oline.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I would say no player would succeed behind that OLine last year do I give GG a pass. I also think he can be very good and get to the league but he did show he is a little bit of a spoiled brat.

I like Plummer but I think it is important to bring in a guy who has more experience do Plummer can sit and use the year to learn.

I really like the film on Millan so hopefully we sign him. He seems very poised in the pocket and has a good arm
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I know this is supposed to be about the QB but three folks brought up the O line and I have to agree. Supposedly it was supposed to be a strength so I don't know what went wrong. No QB is going to succeed if the O line keeps playing like they did last year. Do we need another center since Congel left?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Bumping this thread.

We have a lot more additions to consider now. I would be interested to hear what folks think about the QB position in 2021.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Gunnell, to me, came off as a sour player. He pouted when things started to go bad, and wasn't a leader. I say good riddance. GG has the height and vision, but not the intangibles to be a successful QB, especially when adversity hits.

Plummer, on the other hand, showed fight. He was raw last year, for sure, but maybe a good spring ball will help. He should be in the mix.

Hard to say what Cruz from WSU will do, because we have little tape of him playing college ball. McCloud is an interesting player, and he put up some decent numbers on a bad S. Florida team. He's also athletic, which will come in handy considering the the O-line struggles we anticipate to have. McCloud also has the most college football experience "under center" than anyone else on the roster. I think this will give him the edge coming out of camp, but that's just pure speculation.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If you made me bet I say McCloud will start game 1.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hard to argue with McCloud. If we are going to see a Sunday offense and it has a lot of Seattle Seahawk driven plays, he looks the part with his throws and feet.

I think with Plummer Cruz and McCloud that we certainly have increased the depth and talent of that position. Going to be fun
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

It doesn't help that McCloud will miss spring ball, but I agree he'll provide some useful options if our QB has to run for his life. Fisch will call the plays, and I think he tends to favor a fairly typical NFL drop-back type, which would seem to favor Cruz down the line, if he can produce. Plummer seems like a nice mix between the two. Not to cop-out, but I think it's a three-way dead heat, and Fisch really means it when he says it'll be whoever can score the most points in scrimmages. Hard to argue with that.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Doyle

Signed,
chief
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion