44 Shontrail Key

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

44 Shontrail Key

Post by ANGCatFan »

Key is a 6-5, 261, Freshman defensive lineman from Morgan Park HS, Chicago, IL. He joined the team last year, but did not play. He used last year to add 19 more pounds to his frame and, you would hope, work on his football fundamentals. He was primarily a basketball player in high school, but was talked in to giving football a 2nd chance as a Senior. After just 12 games of football Key had offers from Illinois, S. Illinois and Arizona. He are the AZ Desert Swarm evaluations from signing day last year:
Brandon Combs’s Thoughts: Key is another former basketball player who has recently started playing football. And I think the he found his calling.

Much like Paris Shand, he is raw and will need some work. He has inconsistent pad level and will need to work on using his hands better. But don’t let that fool you. He has immense potential.

He has fantastic size and can easily add more muscle and still keep the speed he already possesses.

Key is already a strong individual and the more he hits the weight room, the better. I really like his ability to make his way through the opposing offensive line and take on blocks. He does have a knack to shed blocks and get into the backfield to make plays.

Once he is able to refine his technique, play with consistent pad level, and add muscle mass, Key is going to be even more dangerous.

Gabe Encina’s Thoughts: I just watched his film and knew nothing about him prior to writing this. Immediately on film I saw he was a raw athlete and Brandon’s background knowledge confirms this for me.

Absolutely huge frame, has some good strength and just needs some time developing. Not only is he raw but I think he can be used in a lot of different ways on the defensive line. Depending on how the staff fills out his frame, he could be used in packages where he plays 0-3 tech or move a little outside to the 5 tech.

I think he’s appropriately ranked in the 1,700 range. At this point in the cycle you have to take all the big bodies that have upside.