2021 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCatInTheHat

Re: 2021 Season Thread

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

azgreg wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:36 pm
TheCatInTheHat wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:50 am By the way, it hasn't escaped my notice that there has been NO apology to the fans
Welp, here you go.

h
Yeah, he also sent out an e-mail with the same verbiage. My reactions are:

o That's what should be done, so no congratulations for it.
o Waiting until Wednesday or Thursday instead of Monday sounds like reacting to continuing heat and/or a Robbins order.
o Not a huge fan of making a list of excuses, followed by: "Please don’t misinterpret these as excuses."

Successful project management (or ANY kind of successful management) means you have to anticipate and have contingencies in place to address any bad stuff. They had eight months after the last game of 2020 and didn't do that. No me gusta.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:49 am
MountainCat wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:41 am I have the urge to get in a long line with students behind me and write a check to purchase a pack of gum…
Probably should go in the venting thread, but I still now and then get behind some old lady, who after the total is reached, then pulls out her checkbook.

Lady, you can start filling out the check while the cashier rings things up, then all you need is the amount.

Not so bad is people who put in their debit card after the total is reached. You do know you can put the debit card in after the first item is scanned, right?
I try to go out of my way to smile and be pleasant to checkers and folks like that. But, whilst we're venting, here are a few of my gripes about inconsiderate customers and inefficient checkers:

o Somebody poking through 50 coupons and the checker helpfully looking up even more. THEN it's time to write a check.
o The checker being chatty with a customer who's all done while everybody else gets to wait.
o The person going through the fast food drive-thru line with a $300 order for a family of 12 or to feed the whole office

But, other than that...don't worry; be happy.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Tips in cash allows people to avoid taxes.
Stick it to the man!
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I enjoy going to a convenience store and have guy in front of me buy lottery tickets .
Then proceed to scratch them, turn in the winner and buy 2 more tickets.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:10 am Tips in cash allows people to avoid taxes.
Stick it to the man!
The government now estimates your tips and charges you taxes on them… even if you didn’t receive a tip.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Bastards
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:06 am The Microsoft chip that was implanted in me with the Pfizer Covid vaccine allows me to blink my eyes twice to make purchases. So that’s convenient. It also does all my thinking for me, basically replacing my wife.

Go Cats!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:29 pm Lol. Another point that I hear from old people (and my parents) all the time that has no basis in current reality. They insist on using cash for things less than about $20, your tips and "trivial items". It must stem from the days before debit cards were in use (so pre 1996 or so). Cards or digital wallets are always faster and more convenient than cash.
I was in line at the Walmart grocery store today, and the lady checking out ahead of me was trying to use Google Pay with her phone. It was not working. She said she left her purse in her car since she always uses Google Pay there. So then the cashier had to do whatever she had to do to back it out and save the data for later.

Not sure what she was using before, but Walmart does not accept Google Pay or Apple Pay, you have to use the Walmart Pay app. I do have Walmart Pay, but it's so much easier to whip out my debit card.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I love using Google pay wherever it is accepted. The fastest way to pay for sure.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I prefer Lougle Pay.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

0–12?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

0-12 for sure

I actually about 25% bought into the hope and new coach hype too. Shame on me. We are 2010s Kansas bad. 1980s Oregon State bad. Pre Bill Snyder Kansas State bad. Maybe worse.

I've watched more college football the last 3 weeks overall than I have the last 2 or 3 years. That is going to end for sure. I finish my woefully short parental leave with my wife and almost 2 month old daughter next week. When I'm back to working full time and my wife goes back to work part time in November, Saturday will be my only full day with my family. So that's probably it for me this year.

Oh well.
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

scumdevils86 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:23 pm 0-12 for sure

I actually about 25% bought into the hope and new coach hype too. Shame on me. We are 2010s Kansas bad. 1980s Oregon State bad. Pre Bill Snyder Kansas State bad. Maybe worse.

I've watched more college football the last 3 weeks overall than I have the last 2 or 3 years. That is going to end for sure. I finish my woefully short parental leave with my wife and almost 2 month old daughter next week. When I'm back to working full time and my wife goes back to work part time in November, Saturday will be my only full day with my family. So that's probably it for me this year.

Oh well.
I haven't watched college football since Sumlin was hired. Between having 2 kids and being in way too many NFL fantasy football leagues my football time basically was tilted towards the NFL. I was beginning to have some hope that maybe Fisch was going to build a winning program but I turned on the 4th quarter of this game and it was pure garbage.

Jedd Fisch is the next David Beaty and hopefully he'll get less than 4 seasons to win 6 games.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Well, I believed in Fisch, I gave him a pass on SDSU, but losing to NAU at home is the deathnell of this program. Might as well drop football and bulldoze the stadium. There's no coming back from this. I threw the dice and lost 300 bucks.
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:40 pm Well, I believed in Fisch, I gave him a pass on SDSU, but losing to NAU at home is the deathnell of this program. Might as well drop football and bulldoze the stadium. There's no coming back from this. I threw the dice and lost 300 bucks.
I've resigned to about 10 years of bad football due to this. No reason to watch the rest of this season for sure. Hopefully we will lose to ASU by less than 63 this season.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ztonyg wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:48 pm
AV8RCAT wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:40 pm Well, I believed in Fisch, I gave him a pass on SDSU, but losing to NAU at home is the deathnell of this program. Might as well drop football and bulldoze the stadium. There's no coming back from this. I threw the dice and lost 300 bucks.
I've resigned to about 10 years of bad football due to this. No reason to watch the rest of this season for sure. Hopefully we will lose to ASU by less than 63 this season.
That's my only expectation the rest of the year. Just lose to ASU by less than 9 touchdowns.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

IrishAzCat wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:04 pm Image
I don't blame Fisch.

I blame the last 2 coaches who couldn't recruit their way out of a wet paper bag. RRod employed multiple drinking buddies who wouldn't even leave Tucson to recruit. Thats death to a program like AZ, which is not exactly sitting in a hotbed of HS football talent.

BTW, I have attended every single UA home game since 1972 (I don't count the 2020 Covid mess) and that is the worst single loss I have ever witnessed. This team simply has a severe lack of talent.

That said I would not be shocked if the UA wins at least 1 game this season. The PAC12 is really, really bad.
Sid

Post by Sid »

I would swap the entire team (Fresno State) for what we have.

Gutsy win against the Ruins tonight. I’m envious.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

dmjcat wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:28 pm
IrishAzCat wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:04 pm Image
BTW, I have attended every single UA home game since 1972
I'm sorry
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

The worst thing about a loss like this is that any recruiting momentum we might have gained is burnt toast. Would guess some decommits start soon if we can't gain any semblance of a functional on field product. This was always the big worry regarding the Fisch hire. Great salesman, seems to work hard, but never had proved himself to be a good Assistant anywhere he had been. Most offenses he was associated with actually regressed during his coaching stints. Now Bobbins and Reek thought things would change with him as a head man. Well..... I feel dumb for feeling an inkling of hope when I knew there was a good chance this could be the result.

Honestly could not believe anybody thought Plummer should have been a starter either. He was terrible in his outings last year, so I am not sure how anybody thought the outcome would be different.

Also, the O-Line should be the number 1 priority in recruiting if we are going to do anything next year. Not that it will likely matter much after a loss like this.

I'm pretty much gutted like a Fisch. NAU? Not even our worst coaches would lose this game. That's frightening.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

This team had the talent to go toe to toe with BYU, who kicked the devils ass today. There's no excuse for what happened today. This isn't rock bottom, this team is furiously trying to dig itself below rock bottom. I honestly think this loss is the most damaging one loss this program has ever sustained. All I ever asked for was moderate improvement, Instead, I got a decomp juice leaking, dog shit smeared, flaming dumpster. Every shred of excitement, fan interest, momentum, lies smoldering at the bottom of a smoking crater. There's not even a point in Fisch stepping down. There is nothing to salvage, Fuck this entire staff including Cecil and Hunley until further notice. Fuck Fisch, he is a huckster and fraud until further notice. Fuck anyone who even looks like them.

Fuck all
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

As we’ve watched Robbins and Heeke hires make Arizona Football historically wretched, my thoughts now turn to their other recent coaching hires…. I’d love to yell and scream that this had better not be the same trajectory for UofA basketball, but what can we do if it is? I’ve no idea what can be done to get Robbins and Heeke out of Tucson, but that is priority one.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

Sid wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:30 pm I would swap the entire team (Fresno State) for what we have.

Gutsy win against the Ruins tonight. I’m envious.
At least we didn’t get shutout like Colorado :shock:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The smallest home crowd in the UA’s Pac-10/12 history—33,481
It’s why Arizona had to pay NAU $500,000 just to play this game

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... k-fcs-2021
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Siempre Verde wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:44 am As we’ve watched Robbins and Heeke hires make Arizona Football historically wretched, my thoughts now turn to their other recent coaching hires…. I’d love to yell and scream that this had better not be the same trajectory for UofA basketball, but what can we do if it is? I’ve no idea what can be done to get Robbins and Heeke out of Tucson, but that is priority one.
I’m very concerned with the long term health of the softball and baseball programs. I think Lloyd will work out for Arizona fwiw.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:45 am I’m very concerned with the long term health of the softball and baseball programs. I think Lloyd will work out for Arizona fwiw.

Soccer too. The Heeke/Robbins MO of hiring people who have never been a head coach is causing all kinds of negative issues in the AD.

Also think Lloyd will be fine too, the exception here.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It's Robbins. Heeke is just his henchman. He's running every corner of the university into the ground. There's nobody to check him because the system he took over is so top-down, and Crowe controls ABOR and has the ear of the legislators.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Haha! Well done Irish.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Oh my gosh, I hope basketball does better!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Thanks Irish. God knows we all needed a laugh.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:45 am
Siempre Verde wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:44 am As we’ve watched Robbins and Heeke hires make Arizona Football historically wretched, my thoughts now turn to their other recent coaching hires…. I’d love to yell and scream that this had better not be the same trajectory for UofA basketball, but what can we do if it is? I’ve no idea what can be done to get Robbins and Heeke out of Tucson, but that is priority one.
I’m very concerned with the long term health of the softball and baseball programs. I think Lloyd will work out for Arizona fwiw.
I am not worried about the baseball program, I believe Chip will do fine. I am a little concerned about softball. Caitlin was not my first pick. I would of chosen Fox as the next coach. I believe Candrea will be helping Caitlin, so it probably won't be too bad. The team is going to be young and if Caitlin can get Dolcini to transfer here, she will have a solid #1 pitcher.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:03 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:45 am I’m very concerned with the long term health of the softball and baseball programs. I think Lloyd will work out for Arizona fwiw.

Soccer too. The Heeke/Robbins MO of hiring people who have never been a head coach is causing all kinds of negative issues in the AD.

Also think Lloyd will be fine too, the exception here.
Yeah, but soccer is whatever. We have excellence in basketball, softball, and baseball. The only 3 sports whose performance matters on a national level. It’s truly idiotic to be taking such huge risks for these 3 sports on campus. Lloyd is understandable though due to the current restraints on the job. Lowe is understandable, but I don’t like it at all as we could land any coach we wanted for the most part. Hale is inexcusable on all levels.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Irish27 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:49 am
I am not worried about the baseball program, I believe Chip will do fine. I am a little concerned about softball. Caitlin was not my first pick. I would of chosen Fox as the next coach. I believe Candrea will be helping Caitlin, so it probably won't be too bad. The team is going to be young and if Caitlin can get Dolcini to transfer here, she will have a solid #1 pitcher.
Hale’s recruiting to this point has been very concerning IMO.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

www.firejeddfisch.com

...and Robbins/Heeke
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAdevil wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:26 am www.firejeddfisch.com
:lol:
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:56 am
Irish27 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:49 am
Hale’s recruiting to this point has been very concerning IMO.
I believe it's way to early to judge. He has only been on the job since the summer. Let's wait and give him at least a year.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'm sooo excited my mom bought tickets to the UCLA game and that I get to go
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Irish27 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:35 am
I believe it's way to early to judge. He has only been on the job since the summer. Let's wait and give him at least a year.

He was hired in december 2020. That is quite a bit before summer. Even quite a bit before spring
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

There's no doubt this is the worst moment in UArizona football history, and considering the magnitude of college football, that pretty much makes it the worst moment in UArizona sports history. We follow an historically bad loss to our rival with: the longest losing streak in the country, the event management fiasco, the smallest crowd we've had in the Pac-10/12, and a loss to the in-state FCS school for the first time since 1932. It's amazingly even worse than Bob Weber, John Mackovic, or Kevin Sumlin. All presided over by Robbins and his meddling. I actually believe the guy wants to win, but he's overly political, beyond arrogant, and contrary to his supreme confidence in himself, he's completely clueless about college athletics. The only way to recover from this is to do what they refuse to do. That's get into a bidding war for a name coach, pay him something like $5M a year, give him incentives, and get out of the way. Call it the Lute Olson Model. Players ignore how bad the school currently is or has been, and they just want to play for that coach. College football is supposed to be fun, and this isn't.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Fisch should have been fired before noon today
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Have they even finished paying off RichRod yet? They owed him $5M. Still have what's left of Sumlin's $7.5M buyout too.

Miller was only owed $1.5M, but that's still something.

And with the PAC-12 Network not paying like it was supposed to, and low attendance setting new records, we are stuck for quite a long time.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:42 pm Have they even finished paying off RichRod yet? They owed him $5M. Still have what's left of Sumlin's $7.5M buyout too.

Miller was only owed $1.5M, but that's still something.

And with the PAC-12 Network not paying like it was supposed to, and low attendance setting new records, we are stuck for quite a long time.
That's exactly why he wasn't fired before noon. Mishandling of Rich Rod. Hiring Sumlin (WTF?). Hiring Fisch (WTFF?). Complete and total mismanagement results in being stuck overpaying an unqualified head coach for the long haul. Can you imagine how fast these players want to get out of here? When will accountability for this completely home made mess arrive? When you can point to literally nothing good in exchange for such terrible administration, how much longer does it take to stop the bleeding?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

For what it's worth, the defense has played well enough for the Cats to be 2-1. With a mildly competent OL we'd be there.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

JT Hand's dad and past Wildcat.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »