DC hot board

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

AV8RCAT

Re: DC hot board

Post by AV8RCAT »

I'm not sure I really care who gets hired. I don't see anyone who can save this program from 20,000 attendance next year. Has a major program ever had to drop football because it couldn't pay for itself?
Hell, the great Dr Blitz Doom was a fired coach when we hired him.
Last edited by AV8RCAT on Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Wish he'd do the same on the offensive side of the ball.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:47 pm As far as I know, we have never had an alum as more than a position coach.
We are what? 1-25 over 3 years? Fuck it. I'm ready to try something we haven't tried before.
I’ve never banged a supermodel but I’m not about to cut my dick off just to “shake things up”.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:22 pm Has a major program ever had to drop football because it couldn't pay for
Not major programs, but many years ago U Pacific (Stockton) and UCSB both dropped football. Cal Poly SLO was going to but a student referendum upped the fees to keep the program.

Looks like 15 or so mid majors since 2000. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... ball_teams
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Chicat wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:07 pm
AV8RCAT wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:47 pm As far as I know, we have never had an alum as more than a position coach.
We are what? 1-25 over 3 years? Fuck it. I'm ready to try something we haven't tried before.
I’ve never banged a supermodel but I’m not about to cut my dick off just to “shake things up”.
A better negative comparison is to just bang an ugly chick you already know.
Not a hill I'm dying on. Turning off till next season. I really don't care if they fire everyone and hire Antoine Cason or Jeff Scurran.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Someone posted this on Facebook. Any fired HCs that were good DCs?

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Keep your eye on Bert Watts at Auburn. Former DC at Fresno St who had a couple of top 10 defenses while there
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We have a DC. Announcement sometime today I have heard from Fisch
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

DL coach from UCLA and he’s Samoan so that might open up that pipeline for us.

A very under the radar candidate. Not sure I’m all that impressed.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

hmm, are we supposed to be excited about this?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

DrWildcat wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:36 am hmm, are we supposed to be excited about this?
Seems underwhelming
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

1998 Cabrillo HS (CA) (DC)
1999 Louisville (GA)
2000 Montana State (RB)
2001–2002 Idaho State (CB)
2003 Idaho State (DB)
2004–2006 Idaho (LB/ST)
2007–2008 Idaho (DL/ST)
2009–2011 Washington (DL/ST)
2012–2013 Washington (RB/ST/AHC)
2014–2015 USC (RB/ST/AHC)
2016–2018 USC (LB/AHC)
2019 USC (ILB)
2020–2021 UCLA (DL)
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My sincerest hope is that this guy was hired because he is some kind of underrated defensive whiz and because he will bring a bunch of recruits with him immediately, but I’ll settle for one or the other.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sarks drinking buddy, fantastic recruiter, solid position coach but Rhodes was probably a better DC. Hate to lose him
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

azgreg wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:43 am Here's his all time recruit list.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Johnny-Nans ... eRecruits/
Those 4 and 5 star guys are likely not coming to Arizona if he was recruiting them here. So what is he really at a program like ours? I guess time will tell.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Seems like a big reach for a team that struggles with football knowledge and when it was reported that we were willing to make Brown the highest paid DC in the Pac 12. If we are saving money to hire a OC to call plays and replace Cecil then maybe I can get behind it. But I don't see how this helps us. Seems like a big role for someone to open up recruiting pipelines.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:43 am 2012–2013 Washington (RB/ST/AHC)

AHC but never a DC? Did he ever call any defensive plays? I thought that was the one criteria.
azgreg wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:43 am Here's his all time recruit list.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Johnny-Nans ... eRecruits/
Definitely a few Polys on that list.
Last edited by Merkin on Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If we win 2 games next year he’s responsible for a 100% win increase
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Maybe Bug will give us a hint of how good he is or could be? Doesn’t sound like Bruin fans are happy about losing him

Edit: saw bugs response above
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Just looked over at the BRO board and more guys are disappointed he's leaving than not.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I was disappointed when we lost Pasternak, Archie, Jay John, Romar, etc. but that does not mean I would have wanted them as our head BB coach. I would guess that those same fans would not have been happy if he was made their DC.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think the sentiment is the run defense and DLine outperformed while the defense overall (especially that secondary) sucked.

He also is a really strong recruiter and well liked in the poly community so that’s a big loss for them.

Like with Fisch, nothing we can do but support him and see what we get the next three years
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

I'm good with the hire.

He's been at USC and UCLA for the past eight years and maybe a commitment not to move around and much as others in the past we have dealt with. Possible Poly-Line and knows current West Cost Recruiting which is a must, hoping to keep current commits intact and maybe adding to it. Good to see Jedd to make this hire about as quick as he could. Hopefully Nansen can be as vocal as Brown was and carry his own identity as we move forward.

The only concern I have is him never being a Defensive Coordinator before on his own and how the players will respond, BUT I don't think we have that luxury this go-around due to the current state of Arizona Football; and believe we were fortunate to have Brown this past year.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He was hired so quickly that I hope this means he’s going to hit the ground running and that we’ll see some immediate dividends in recruiting.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think keeping Sterling Lane away from Cincy/ND is a huge priority. He also has a really good looking DEnd he recruited out of Washington committed to UCLA. The hope is that maybe he follows him.
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I have no problem with this hire. One of the biggest complaints I see in here is that we always hire retreads and people lament about how we need to hire someone young and hungry. Well it seems that's what we got. He's coached every position on the D side of the ball and most on the O side as well. He's been successful it seems. He's been a recruiting coordinator at three PAC12 schools that recruit successfully. He's been a run defense coordinator (whatever that does) and I'm sure he's called plays on the D side of the ball. My guess is he wants to be a head coach and he isn't coming here to mess up or fool around. An added bonus is his Polynesian contacts and now we have that on both sides of the ball. I'm curious about what sort of scheme he runs and will he be as aggressive as Brown. We'll find out soon enough.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Hmm. If were not promoting from within, you would think we were looking for an established coordinator. Walker, Cecil and Hunley have all been D coordinators, and this guy hasn't.
Maybe there are intangibles we're not aware of. Hopefully he brings some big Poly linemen in.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

An excellent hire. Too many people on this board are confusing play calling with the lack of talent to execute the plays. Nansen appears to be an excellent recruiter, which should be #1 on the priority list for ANY UA football coaching hire. The UA needs talent, period.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:07 am Seems like a big reach for a team that struggles with football knowledge and when it was reported that we were willing to make Brown the highest paid DC in the Pac 12. If we are saving money to hire a OC to call plays and replace Cecil then maybe I can get behind it. But I don't see how this helps us. Seems like a big role for someone to open up recruiting pipelines.
You think Cecil should be replaced?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Yogi loves him some Jedd Lasso.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

AV8RCAT wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:11 pm
gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:07 am Seems like a big reach for a team that struggles with football knowledge and when it was reported that we were willing to make Brown the highest paid DC in the Pac 12. If we are saving money to hire a OC to call plays and replace Cecil then maybe I can get behind it. But I don't see how this helps us. Seems like a big role for someone to open up recruiting pipelines.
Absolutely, his position was the worst on the team and always out of position which is not due to talent, he does not recruit, he is here solely based on nepotism and to appease fans who think him coaching will bring back the glory days.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Yeah Ok then.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Talent alone does not win football games. If it did, USC would not have had to replace Helton. Talent certainly helps, but Don Brown had arguably less talent on D than we did last year with the transfers, and improved the D significantly. That's coaching. And now, we've replaced him with a guy who has never called a set of defensive plays at the college level? Color me less than enthused.

Difficult to see this hire as an upgrade. Maybe it's even if Nansen can seriously upgrade the talent. But when has Arizona ever recruited well consistently? Never. And we still have major issues on O with Fisch and Carrol.

If the D takes a step back next year and the O continues to struggle scoring in the red zone, we're looking at another 2-win season maximum. How is that going to work out for Fisch if he's recruiting with a record of 3-21? If this happens, and the losing continues in year three, then we may have officially become the Kansas of the PAC, where football coaches go to add up the Ls and die.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:03 pm Talent alone does not win football games. If it did, USC would not have had to replace Helton. Talent certainly helps, but Don Brown had arguably less talent on D than we did last year with the transfers, and improved the D significantly. That's coaching. And now, we've replaced him with a guy who has never called a set of defensive plays at the college level? Color me less than enthused.

Difficult to see this hire as an upgrade. Maybe it's even if Nansen can seriously upgrade the talent. But when has Arizona ever recruited well consistently? Never. And we still have major issues on O with Fisch and Carrol.

If the D takes a step back next year and the O continues to struggle scoring in the red zone, we're looking at another 2-win season maximum. How is that going to work out for Fisch if he's recruiting with a record of 3-21? If this happens, and the losing continues in year three, then we may have officially become the Kansas of the PAC, where football coaches go to add up the Ls and die.

Kansas was actually semi-respectable this year. We are already worse than them.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:03 pm where football coaches go to add up the Ls and die.
Well, to be fair UA has been that way for quite some time. Only Dick Tomey and now RichRod have ever worked again as head coaches since Larry Smith left. All coaches since him have been fired. Tomey went to CSU SJSU, and RichRod Jax State which is FCS on the way to FBS. Tomey retired in lieu of getting fired at SJSU after a 2-10 season.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yes our defense was statistically better but it benefited from the offensive styles. We hardly ran tempo and we had a pretty good TOP along with a lot of first downs.

We committed 8 to the box and at still had trouble stopping the run in key spots. I think Fisch saw that and went after a recruiter and a guy who put UCLA #1 in yards per run attempt.

No one needs to be doing cartwheels but I think it is far from a bad hire
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:08 pm An excellent hire. Too many people on this board are confusing play calling with the lack of talent to execute the plays.
+10
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:41 pm Yes our defense was statistically better but it benefited from the offensive styles. We hardly ran tempo and we had a pretty good TOP along with a lot of first downs.

We committed 8 to the box and at still had trouble stopping the run in key spots. I think Fisch saw that and went after a recruiter and a guy who put UCLA #1 in yards per run attempt.

No one needs to be doing cartwheels but I think it is far from a bad hire
I was thinking about this after a game when Brown was touting the stats, but I guess there's no stat for allowing opponent after opponent big play after big play whenever they need one the most.

If Fisch is pulling something like the rumored "Name Salavea a coordinator and pay him more so he will stay and recruit big Island guys" and give Walker or someone a raise to help him "coordinate" then maybe that's what we need most.

Seriously, maybe our talent level was just so bad that Urban Meyer, Nick Sabin, Knute Rockne and Bear Bryant couldn't have coached them to much better, although I'd spot them all the NAU game. I'll set aside everything else, since BYU and SDSU turned out to be pretty damn good teams, but first year head coach learning curve? talent? injuries? blah, blah, blah, who cares? nothing less than severe teamwide food poisoning or the like can ever excuse that turd of a performance.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:43 pm
AV8RCAT wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:11 pm
Absolutely, his position was the worst on the team and always out of position which is not due to talent, he does not recruit, he is here solely based on nepotism and to appease fans who think him coaching will bring back the glory days.
Does not recruit? So Fisch gave him a Casteel exemption? Please elaborate. I have not heard this. As for the rest, I don't have enough information. I wouldn't know if someone is out of position because their position coach sucks or because the coordinator called the wrong play.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Cecil was just in Houston hitting up HS coaches and recruiting. I wouldn’t call him a great recruiter but he isn’t exempt from doing it.

His group was the weakest but I do think it was because Brown put his safeties into man coverage so much. There is a reason those guys play safety and not corner.

The new guy will incorporate more zone and two high safety play which Cecil is much more familiar with. I do think we need a huge upgrade in talent back there but that can be said about the whole roster
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

I do remember Chuck saying he runs what he's told to and Brown likes to run a lot of single high safety looks which Chuck wasn't familiar with.

I believe there are just too many possible reasons for lack of success when new coaches come into a winless program that I just won't judge them on their first year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Position coaches always run the system the DC and HC implements. It’s their job to teach the techniques that will make the players most successful in those systems. So it wasn’t on Chuck to decide where the secondary was positioned and their assignments, but it was his job to teach them what to react to and how to react.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

I don't know what Chuck's aspirations are anyway, or if he is a terrible coach, or if he is unemployable anywhere else, like some seem to claim, but what they all inherited was an unprecedented, smoking wreck and I will reserve judgement on the entire staff this year.

I don't remember who said it, but I'm also considering 2022 year one.

I might as well, because there isn't going to be a new staff anytime soon and I see no logic in doing other than allowing for the possibility that they could get better and hoping for that.