College Football Playoff Rankings

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: College Football Playoff Rankings

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
azgreg wrote:The only thing I can think of is this game control stat. We've played a lot of close games (trailed in some) while Sparty has mostly blowout wins (except for Nebraska), their 2 loses are to #2 and #6 while our 2 loses are to #8 and UR.
well our second loss shouldn't be UR after this last weekend, I'd think.

But, still, they're also discounting (heavily) our previous Oregon victory due to "injury"...while ignoring OUR injuries in our losses.
I don't disagree, but we will have to wait until Tuesday to find out.
prh

Post by prh »

MountainCat wrote:
prh wrote:We jump a bunch of people with a win against Oregon. I'm just curious about this week. We should be the top ranked 2 loss team, although MSU could be ahead. That would be #7 or 8. Beat Oregon and I think that gets us to...where we want ;)
Sorry - But this is where our win against Oregon on the road should put us over Michigan State as they lost to Oregon on the road. Period. I think the selection committee will agree.
I should have been more clear, I was referring to Miss State, not Mich St. Polls have us ahead of them, which makes me feel good.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Up to 7. ESPN was told we're not automatically in if we beat Oregon. One or two upsets and I love our chances.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Should mean no worse then 11 if we dont get it but we will
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Why not Arizona. Go cats
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Part of me cant believe we are ahead Sec 2 loss teams.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

If Arizona wins, Wisky wins, we are looking good...if Kstate also wins, we are a lock.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

All possible.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

AZCatGirl wrote:Up to 7. ESPN was told we're not automatically in if we beat Oregon. One or two upsets and I love our chances.
I know you're just relaying what happened so thank u for that and no offense, but I don't trust a damn thing someone at ESPN says. The committee is taking this thing strictly week to week. Maybe a win versus Oregon doesn't get us in without upsets, but I don't see why someone from the committee would speculate and if they are speculating, it is simply that, speculation. I love where we're at. We need to handle business and I'm sure someone else will get upset to make it easier on the committee...there are always upsets, college football is crazy at the end of the year.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

UALoco wrote:If Arizona wins, Wisky wins, we are looking good...if Kstate also wins, we are a lock.
If Arizona and Wisky win, we jump Oregon and OSU. I am still convinced there is no way the committee takes 2 Big 12 teams, especially if we have the best victories of any remaining teams. That means we go from 7 to 4. Surprised, and a little concerned, that TCU went all the way to 3. I figured TCU is odd man out if Baylor beats KSU.

Of course, none of this means anything if we don't do the toughest thing of all: beat Oregon!

Go Cats!!

Oh, and 6 Pac 12 teams in top 25.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Is Oregon 1 or 2. Ranking says 2 but my espn notification said 1
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

UALoco wrote:If Arizona wins, Wisky wins, we are looking good...if Kstate also wins, we are a lock.
And Georgia Tech could beat Florida State. With the Seminoles dropping to #4 I would assume we would jump them if they lost to the Yellow Jackets.

Just looking at where we are and all the games that are going on this weekend, if we win we certainly have a legitimate potential path to the playoff.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

I still believe if we win we are in. We will have the best possible win of people playing for the last spot and will jump to at least 4 if nobody else loses. We will need help to get to 3 and play in the Rose Bowl.

Why not Arizona? Bear Down and beat the Ducks one more time!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

AZCatGirl wrote:Up to 7. ESPN was told we're not automatically in if we beat Oregon. One or two upsets and I love our chances.

Interesting.

I wonder if we'd get in above a 2 loss bama team?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

SCCat

Post by SCCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

Interesting.

A two loss Bama team that didn't win their conference title game and thus didn't win their conference? By the metrics they've talked about it is very possible. The nice thing is there's a whole bunch of other things that could happen as well, and we probably only need like one of them (and ANGCatfan has talked about the possibility of not needing any of them: we auto jump Oregon, Ohio State gets pushed aside due to injury and horrible loss issues, and committee doesn't take two Big 12 teams so we jump Baylor) to happen for a potential spot to be created.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

SCCat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

Interesting.

A two loss Bama team that didn't win their conference title game and thus didn't win their conference? By the metrics they've talked about it is very possible. The nice thing is there's a whole bunch of other things that could happen as well, and we probably only need like one of them (and ANGCatfan has talked about the possibility of not needing any of them: we auto jump Oregon, Ohio State gets pushed aside due to injury and horrible loss issues, and committee doesn't take two Big 12 teams so we jump Baylor) to happen for a potential spot to be created.
has the committee ever stated they won't take 2 teams from the same division? I've not seen it, if they have.

Also, i'm really surprised FSU dropped to #4. what a slap in their face. guess winning isn't the most important thing if you don't do it pretty. If we were fsu fans, we'd all be screaming our head off at that.

Anyhow, I'm just trying to think most likely scenarios.
I think wiscy can beat ohio st.
I think kansas st. can beat baylor
I think missouri can beat bama

That would put all of them at 2 losses, and assuming we beat Oregon, I wonder if we'd jump all of them. Specifically, I wonder if we'd jump past bama. I'm assuming we'd jump past the other two teams, but I feel it's a safe assumption. Bama though...I mean yeah they wouldn't have won their conference....I wonder if the committee would stick to what they've said about conference championships mattering that much.

I also think georgia tech can beat fsu...and since they slipped to #4...I'd have to believe we'd jump them too, even though I think it's a slap in their face :lol:

So.... GO CATS and then I'll be rooting for some underdogs!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:has the committee ever stated they won't take 2 teams from the same division? I've not seen it, if they have.
No. The only thing that they said that had anything to do with conferences is championships. Other than that they said they won't even look at conferences.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:has the committee ever stated they won't take 2 teams from the same division? I've not seen it, if they have.
No. The only thing that they said that had anything to do with conferences is championships. Other than that they said they won't even look at conferences.
yeah, and that's where the big10's craptastic (but I can't blame them for doing it) "co-champions" comes into play.

prh

Post by prh »

I kind of feel like this week's rankings are all about setting themselves up for next week and rationalization. FSU at 4 means if they lose to GT, the committee won't have to explain why they dropped out of the top 4. Baylor at 6 sets it up to keep TCU and gives them a plausible way to avoid putting 2 Big12 teams in (which I think they would never do). If OSU loses and we win, it's pretty easy to see us jump Baylor and be at the 4. Heck, with how little they like FSU they could slide us in at 3, which would put us in the Rose Bowl. I am under the assumption that the Rose will be the 2/3 game, unless Oregon jumps Bama (boo!) or everyone loses and we jump to 1 (yay!).

Still, gotta take care of our business. I sure hope this is the best week they've had all year and not having any distractions *cough* Samajie *cough*
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I think Baylor has a much more difficult path to get in than we do. A lot of things would have to go wrong for them to even be considered. There would have to be some blowout games for TCU and Baylor to get in.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
yeah, and that's where the big10's craptastic (but I can't blame them for doing it) "co-champions" comes into play.
You think the Big 12 will be screaming co champs if Kansas St beats Baylor and ties with TCU?
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
SCCat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

Interesting.

has the committee ever stated they won't take 2 teams from the same division? I've not seen it, if they have.

Also, i'm really surprised FSU dropped to #4. what a slap in their face. guess winning isn't the most important thing if you don't do it pretty. If we were fsu fans, we'd all be screaming our head off at that.

Anyhow, I'm just trying to think most likely scenarios.
I think wiscy can beat ohio st.
I think kansas st. can beat baylor
I think missouri can beat bama

That would put all of them at 2 losses, and assuming we beat Oregon, I wonder if we'd jump all of them. Specifically, I wonder if we'd jump past bama. I'm assuming we'd jump past the other two teams, but I feel it's a safe assumption. Bama though...I mean yeah they wouldn't have won their conference....I wonder if the committee would stick to what they've said about conference championships mattering that much.

I also think georgia tech can beat fsu...and since they slipped to #4...I'd have to believe we'd jump them too, even though I think it's a slap in their face :lol:

So.... GO CATS and then I'll be rooting for some underdogs!
It's always nice to dream. ;)
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
You think the Big 12 will be screaming co champs if Kansas St beats Baylor and ties with TCU?
tcu has (and will have, after saturday) 1 loss, kansas st. has 2 losses, so, no I don't think they'll be screaming co champs if kansas st wins

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
tcu has (and will have, after saturday) 1 loss, kansas st. has 2 losses, so, no I don't think they'll be screaming co champs if kansas st wins
I was being facetious. However, according to the Big-12 website only conference records count towards determining the conference champion.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle. ... ID=1546006

Nowhere in there does it say anything about co-champions.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote: I was being facetious. However, according to the Big-12 website only conference records count towards determining the conference champion.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle. ... ID=1546006

Nowhere in there does it say anything about co-champions.
Ah, wasn't ware they didn't count overall record. And no, it won't say anything there, it's a new thing the conference commish just pulled out of his ass.

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Everything they want is still in front of them. And now with the Pac-12 South title in their pocket.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

So much for a weak SOS. Fuck you ASSu.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

All of these ESPN College football experts are talking about all the different scenarios involving the top 6... no one is talking about the possibility of #7.

I sooooooooo want to make them all look foolish.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

All we need is a win vs. Oregon and one of Ohio state, tcu, fsu, or Alabama to lose and we're in.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:All we need is a win vs. Oregon and we're in.
Fyp
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Fyp

?? You're predicting a two loss Arizona over an undefeated Florida St.?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

No but I am predicting one over osu, tcu, or Baylor.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

the real dill wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Fyp

?? You're predicting a two loss Arizona over an undefeated Florida St.?
I think those who subscribe to the "win and we're in" philosophy are looking at it like this:

Assuming everyone else wins....(and of course assuming we beat Oregon, which we won't, they've already taken the Pac-12 trophy home I think)

Bama
FSU
TCU/ Baylor
Arizona

Arizona over OSU on the basis of their injured QB
Arizona over TCU/Baylor on the basis of body of work/not wanting to take 2 teams from the Big12

Personally, I think that COULD happen but I wouldn't bank on it.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

CalStateTempe wrote:No but I am predicting one over osu, tcu, or Baylor.
Florida St. is the one that matters. They aren't leapfrogging TCU, and jumping Baylor and tOSU doesn't really help you.

Arizona absolutely needs one of the top 4 to lose this weekend.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

the real dill wrote:
Florida St. is the one that matters. They aren't leapfrogging TCU, and jumping Baylor and tOSU doesn't really help you.

Yeah we'll take care of that.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Yea exactly don't forget Oregon possibly losing.

We could leapfrog TCU too...the committee is taking this week to week folks. Just because TCU is 3 now doesn't mean all that much just yet. Their resume will be weakened playing a scrub ISU while our resume could be strengthened more than anyone's pretty much playing Oregon. When the committee reconvenes next week these rankings will be much different. This isn't a bullshit AP poll where teams stay pretty static.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

the real dill wrote:

Not True.

Florida St WILL leapfrog TCU with a win vs #11 Georgia Tech while TCU plays a shitty 2-9 Iowa St team.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Alieberman wrote:
the real dill wrote:

Not True.

Florida St WILL leapfrog TCU with a win vs #11 Georgia Tech while TCU plays a shitty 2-9 Iowa St team.
I understand the optimism, but I don't see it. Beating Oregon 3 times in a row would be crazy, but not enough to start jumping undefeated and one loss teams.

As for jumping TCU....TCU lost to the #6 team. Arizona has two losses to #15 and #25.

I guess Fla St. could jump TCU if they pull off a 63-0 win at Ga Tech, but the committee was pretty clear this week on how they feel about Fla St. v TCU.

I'm just saying I would hope for a loss Saturday and not book plane tickets after a win Friday night as CST was suggesting.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

the real dill wrote:
I understand the optimism, but I don't see it. Beating Oregon 3 times in a row would be crazy, but not enough to start jumping undefeated and one loss teams.

As for jumping TCU....TCU lost to the #6 team. Arizona has two losses to #15 and #25.

I guess Fla St. could jump TCU if they pull off a 63-0 win at Ga Tech, but the committee was pretty clear this week on how they feel about Fla St. v TCU.

I'm just saying I would hope for a loss Saturday and not book plane tickets after a win Friday night as CST was suggesting.
This is what I think-

Florida St. will finish no lower than #3 with a win

We could jump 1 loss team with 2 wins over the #2 team in the country. Not saying we will, but it is possible.

Do not see a scenario in which TCU and Baylor both make playoff (unless numerous losses in top 4) This committee value's conference champs and they will pick 1 as the Big 12 champ.

OSU's qb needs to look good in order for OSU to move into the playoff
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

This is all speculation, which fuels the interest this year like no other. Here is my speculation for the final four: Alabama (Even if Missouri beats them, Alabama still gets in. SEC will have a rep.); TCU/Baylor (one or the other, but not both); Oregon/Arizona (Pac will have a rep); FSU/OSU (Would not be surprised to see both lose. If so, FSU!).

Go Cats!!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Catstatic wrote:This is all speculation, which fuels the interest this year like no other. Here is my speculation for the final four: Alabama (Even if Missouri beats them, Alabama still gets in. SEC will have a rep.); TCU/Baylor (one or the other, but not both); Oregon/Arizona (Pac will have a rep); FSU/OSU (Would not be surprised to see both lose. If so, FSU!).

Go Cats!!

This. The best division along with at worst, the second best conference won't be left out.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Alieberman wrote:
the real dill wrote:

This is what I think-

Florida St. will finish no lower than #3 with a win

We could jump 1 loss team with 2 wins over the #2 team in the country. Not saying we will, but it is possible.

Do not see a scenario in which TCU and Baylor both make playoff (unless numerous losses in top 4) This committee value's conference champs and they will pick 1 as the Big 12 champ.

OSU's qb needs to look good in order for OSU to move into the playoff
So I'm an idiot. I wasn't thinking about the fact that Oregon would be out in that scenario. Forgive my stupidity. I can see Arizona over Baylor and tOSU. Not TCU (even though I think Baylor should be in over TCU due to conference title).
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Bowl Eligible Teams Beaten
Alabama - 8
Ohio State - 8
Arizona - 7
FSU - 7
Oregon - 5
TCU - 5
Baylor - 3
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

the real dill wrote:Bowl Eligible Teams Beaten
Alabama - 8
Ohio State - 8
Arizona - 7
FSU - 7
Oregon - 5
TCU - 5
Baylor - 3
Is that as of today or based on winning this weekend?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

It is no stretch, or maybe even no upset, to have both Baylor and Ohio State losing this weekend.

Once that happens, the Pac-12 champion is a lock for the national playoff, regardless of any other considerations. Florida State losing on top of that would just ensure the champion would be playing in the Rose Bowl.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Alieberman wrote:All of these ESPN College football experts are talking about all the different scenarios involving the top 6... no one is talking about the possibility of #7.

I sooooooooo want to make them all look foolish.

CBS Sports too; except some guy named Chip.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Catstatic wrote:This is all speculation, which fuels the interest this year like no other. Here is my speculation for the final four: Alabama (Even if Missouri beats them, Alabama still gets in. SEC will have a rep.); TCU/Baylor (one or the other, but not both); Oregon/Arizona (Pac will have a rep); FSU/OSU (Would not be surprised to see both lose. If so, FSU!).

Go Cats!!
This was my thought as well, but I've become less optimistic about Arizona's chances as the week has progressed.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Chi, we will play our best game of the year. We have not peaked. People are going to be shocked by how Anu plays Friday night.

This team will rise to the greatest of heights andmake a mockery of having 1 player on the first team all conference.

It's OUR time, we got this.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:Chi, we will play our best game of the year. We have not peaked. People are going to be shocked by how Anu plays Friday night.

This team will rise to the greatest of heights andmake a mockery of having 1 player on the first team all conference.

It's OUR time, we got this.
I 100% believe this to be true. But would a dominating win be enough to push us into the playoff?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

IMO, yes. They can't ignore a team with as many quality wins from the toughest division in the country and no bad losses.

The committee knows whats up. The PAC will be repped. #Shocktheworld