Week 4: California scout/discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Week 4: California scout/discussion

Post by azgreg »

This thread is displaying some great confidence.

http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthrea ... dy-for-cal
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Coach Rod interviewed by USA Today.
Q: It's pretty obvious, talking to you here and the few times in person, that you seem very happy at Arizona. Is it too much to suggest this is a place you'd like to be for a while? Too strong to say this might be where you'd like to end your career?

A: You know, I think we've made a commitment. We moved into a brand-new facility last August. We made a commitment to football. I think as long as we keep that commitment, and I think we will, that I could see … I kind of moved around and done that. I can see myself trying to get with my staff and try to b build the best program in America. It's be fun. We don't have a great, long history, but we do have some good football history in our background here. We've been close before. Just haven't gotten to a Rose Bowl, but we've been close. Maybe with the new facility and a new commitment we can get there. I sure would like to be the guy to help us get there.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Arizona is going to win. I expect a 42-24 Arizona win.

Both Nevada and UTSA would be 2-0 against Cal's schedule. Also, Northwestern is a bad team in a very bad conference. Its not like Cal ran away from this game. I also am not sure if Cal could beat Nevada or UTSA.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ANGCatFan wrote:Coach Rod interviewed by USA Today.
Q: It's pretty obvious, talking to you here and the few times in person, that you seem very happy at Arizona. Is it too much to suggest this is a place you'd like to be for a while? Too strong to say this might be where you'd like to end your career?

A: You know, I think we've made a commitment. We moved into a brand-new facility last August. We made a commitment to football. I think as long as we keep that commitment, and I think we will, that I could see … I kind of moved around and done that. I can see myself trying to get with my staff and try to b build the best program in America. It's be fun. We don't have a great, long history, but we do have some good football history in our background here. We've been close before. Just haven't gotten to a Rose Bowl, but we've been close. Maybe with the new facility and a new commitment we can get there. I sure would like to be the guy to help us get there.
That's even less convincing than what Larry Smith told the Tucson press the day before he took the redeye to LAX.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

OSUCat wrote:Arizona is going to win. I expect a 42-24 Arizona win.

Both Nevada and UTSA would be 2-0 against Cal's schedule. Also, Northwestern is a bad team in a very bad conference. Its not like Cal ran away from this game. I also am not sure if Cal could beat Nevada or UTSA.
I feel pretty similar to you; some people have mentioned Cal coming to Arizona and getting a win and I just don't see that at all.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Sports Guys preview Cal. By far their best episode. Well worth the listen even if it is on Rivals and may put some coin in Mao's pocket.

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

[quote="ANGCatFan"]Sports Guys preview Cal. By far their best episode. Well worth the listen even if it is on Rivals and may put some coin in Mao's pocket.

This is cool. Jake is really good to listen to with his recent insight to the team and the guys that are playing now. He's doing a great job, a natural.

Love the set at An's around the Hibachi grill. All it needs is the hibachi chef with the onion volcano going . . .
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Merkin wrote:That's even less convincing than what Larry Smith told the Tucson press the day before he took the redeye to LAX.
Football business is football business, same as it's ever been. (I think he's here for a while, though; he's not likely to let history repeat itself.)
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

azgreg wrote:This thread is displaying some great confidence.

http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthrea ... dy-for-cal
So weird. Like, I'd expect them to be more like a Utah board. Or a CU board with like half of the crushing depression. They're talking like they're a North powerhouse, not a team that won ZERO goddamn conference games last year. I get it, you've got some talent. So does Colorado and Utah, and neither board starts exploding with South Division dreams of glory after beating down an FCS team and a horrible NU. I mean, Utah, even if they win @ Michigan, will manage their expectations. Sure, they'll talk about how their starting to grow into the PAC-12, how Wilson's underrated, and how they should be bowling this year. Cal's 2-0 and talking North Championship! Maybe I'm frustrated because it's been like a week and a half and an admin hasn't approved my registration so I can't talk to these guys and really get a sense of their community, but they're supremely overconfident, and without an Arizona poster coming on their to dampen their arrogance with things like *facts* and *a different opinion*, it's just running rampant on that board. Like, here, we've got Devil's Win, or whatever, coming on here and saying we blow, classic. Plus, we've got a naturally pessimistic fanbase (not that there's anything wrong with that), so we kind of police our own expectations from within our own community. Cal doesn't even have 'Furd or UCLA trolls, let alone posters that predict Cal losses (after such a stellar previous season, how could they lose?). and the fact that I'm unable to go and debate them just makes it worse.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Javier Morales with 5 off the beaten story lines for the Cal game.

First my favorite part of his Friday stories:

4. It’s called “Air Raid” for a reason.

Like most “Air Raid” offenses. the pass (with a single-, or many times, no-back formation) sets up the run, not the other way around. Cal’s leading rusher in its wins over Northwestern and Sacramento State is junior Daniel Lasco, whose career best mark before this season was 74 yards rushing against Southern Utah in 2012. Somehow, Lasco is listed as a Doak Walker Award candidate this season, according to Cal. In that case, Anu Solomon is a Heisman candidate.

Lasco has 116 yards on 17 carries. The second-leading rusher is true freshman quarterback Luke Rubenzer, who is inserted to off-set the defense with his ability to run. Rubenzer, from Scottsdale Saguaro High School, has gained 82 yards on 17 carries. The 23 rushes by Cal’s quarterbacks — sophomore Jared Goff and Rubenzer — comprises 24.7 percent of the team’s carries.

Arizona freshman running back Nick Wilson surpassed 116 yards — Lasco’s mark — on his eighth carry this season, the first attempt at UTSA when he gained 16 yards. Wilson leads the Wildcats and is the top freshman in the country with 449 yards on 66 attempts.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Merkin wrote:

A: You know, I think we've made a commitment. We moved into a brand-new facility last August. We made a commitment to football. I think as long as we keep that commitment, and I think we will, that I could see … I kind
of moved around and done that. I can see myself trying to get with my staff and try to b build the best program in America. It's be fun. We don't have a great, long history, but we do have some good football history in our background here. We've been close before. Just haven't gotten to a Rose Bowl, but we've been close. Maybe with the new facility and a new commitment we can get there. I sure would like to be the guy to help us get there.
That's even less convincing than what Larry Smith told the Tucson press the day before he took the redeye to LAX.
You know Merk, I was just thinking the same thing. I think he still has his eye on Florida
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I just think this week, with it being a conference game, a California team game, and Cal being 2-0 and getting some praise, the result is a different level of focus/preparation for the Cats. And when talent is compared to Cal's talent, plus home field, add some better focus for an opponent that will cause the needle to flicker a bit...we play our best game of the season (tough to guage what UNLV was).

I say 38-24. Cal scores 2 TDs and 3 FGs with a 2 pt conversion, much like Nevada's 28.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azcat49 wrote: You know Merk, I was just thinking the same thing. I think he still has his eye on Florida
I don't think the timing will be right for Fla. RR hasn't had the success here for Fla. to hire him when they shitcan Muschamp. I don't see that one working out.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ANGCatFan wrote:Javier Morales with 5 off the beaten story lines for the Cal game.

First my favorite part of his Friday stories:

4. It’s called “Air Raid” for a reason.

Like most “Air Raid” offenses. the pass (with a single-, or many times, no-back formation) sets up the run, not the other way around. Cal’s leading rusher in its wins over Northwestern and Sacramento State is junior Daniel Lasco, whose career best mark before this season was 74 yards rushing against Southern Utah in 2012. Somehow, Lasco is listed as a Doak Walker Award candidate this season, according to Cal. In that case, Anu Solomon is a Heisman candidate.

Lasco has 116 yards on 17 carries. The second-leading rusher is true freshman quarterback Luke Rubenzer, who is inserted to off-set the defense with his ability to run. Rubenzer, from Scottsdale Saguaro High School, has gained 82 yards on 17 carries. The 23 rushes by Cal’s quarterbacks — sophomore Jared Goff and Rubenzer — comprises 24.7 percent of the team’s carries.

Arizona freshman running back Nick Wilson surpassed 116 yards — Lasco’s mark — on his eighth carry this season, the first attempt at UTSA when he gained 16 yards. Wilson leads the Wildcats and is the top freshman in the country with 449 yards on 66 attempts.
Rubenezer has 82 yds on 17 carries???? The guys on Bearinsider are saying how innovative Sunny is by using him. Sounds like typical Sunny play calling - obvious as hell. I remember knowing what the O was going to do based on the formation when Sunny was calling the plays here.

Those guys must be getting some real Dakine weed up there to be saying how we have to watch out for Sunny and Rube.

Bring the Rube on!!
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

azcat49 wrote:
Merkin wrote: That's even less convincing than what Larry Smith told the Tucson press the day before he took the redeye to LAX.
You know Merk, I was just thinking the same thing. I think he still has his eye on Florida
If he says "I love Arizona, I'm going to retire here, there's no reason where I would leave" everybody would (rightfully) mock him as sounding just like Todd Graham.

He said exactly what I would have said. He doesn't want to sound like a lying shitbag like CTG if for some reason he leaves in the future, so he doesn't make a silly commitment in a major national interview. That doesn't mean he has one foot out the door.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

As long as Arizona is not in the top tier like the Alabama types, fans will be worried about a good coach leaving, no matter what that coach says. So why fret? If RR leaves, Arizona will move on. I just hope Bryne is still around if the times come.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Cal vs. Arizona Q&A with California Golden Blogs

Nice Q&A w/ the Cal SBNation blog & AZ Desert Swarm about the Cal team and Saturdays game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well if he leaves it would be because he has done well here so we reap those benefits. He has the handcuffs but an SEC school like Florida could make that up easily.

Let's just enjoy the ride that is this year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

POM, time top start the game thread.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azthrillhouse wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
Merkin wrote: That's even less convincing than what Larry Smith told the Tucson press the day before he took the redeye to LAX.
If he says "I love Arizona, I'm going to retire here, there's no reason where I would leave" everybody would (rightfully) mock him as sounding just like Todd Graham.

He said exactly what I would have said. He doesn't want to sound like a lying shitbag like CTG if for some reason he leaves in the future, so he doesn't make a silly commitment in a major national interview. That doesn't mean he has one foot out the door.
He said said he wants to win a Rose Bowl here. Works for me.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Ok, I'll bite on the threadjack... He's said that he was disappointed that he didn't get to finish what he started at Michigan. When he was asked about the season UM was having, he said that those were his guys, that he didn't get to see it through. Brady Hoke took RRs guys and won 11 games his first year. Everyone was hailing the newly hired "Michigan Man" as the one to fix all of the wrongs of the Rich Rodriguez era.

That was 2011. Since then RR has won more games than Hoke. He's building one hell of a program here. The roster is getting deeper every year. The starting backfield and the receiving corp is set up to be great for years. The O-line is set up to be solid for a while now. The defensive depth is improving in most areas. The Cats are set up as a PAC-12 South dark horse this year and are well-positioned to challenge for the league title next year and the ear after. Now - do you think Rodriguez is going to leave and let the next coach get the credit for winning with RR's guys, just so he can go and rebuild his third program in eight years?

I don't think Florida is going to make a run at him anyway. For better or worse, whether it's fair or not, the Michigan years still hang over his reputation and I don't think a SEC school is going to be able to sell the boosters on the 3-3-5 in the SEC. Hell, I could be wrong on all of this, and I know he really likes the state of Florida. But for the reasons listed above, I don't see him leaving any time soon. He might be able to make more money at Florida but he has to win now or get the boot. That's a feeling that would probably bring up some uncomfortable memories for him. He didn't have the full support of the school at UM. He does here. That kind of security is powerful. Maybe I'm wrong. It's just how I'm seeing this after watching things unfold over the last few years.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

azpenguin wrote:Ok, I'll bite on the threadjack... He's said that he was disappointed that he didn't get to finish what he started at Michigan. When he was asked about the season UM was having, he said that those were his guys, that he didn't get to see it through. Brady Hoke took RRs guys and won 11 games his first year. Everyone was hailing the newly hired "Michigan Man" as the one to fix all of the wrongs of the Rich Rodriguez era.

That was 2011. Since then RR has won more games than Hoke. He's building one hell of a program here. The roster is getting deeper every year. The starting backfield and the receiving corp is set up to be great for years. The O-line is set up to be solid for a while now. The defensive depth is improving in most areas. The Cats are set up as a PAC-12 South dark horse this year and are well-positioned to challenge for the league title next year and the ear after. Now - do you think Rodriguez is going to leave and let the next coach get the credit for winning with RR's guys, just so he can go and rebuild his third program in eight years?

I don't think Florida is going to make a run at him anyway. For better or worse, whether it's fair or not, the Michigan years still hang over his reputation and I don't think a SEC school is going to be able to sell the boosters on the 3-3-5 in the SEC. Hell, I could be wrong on all of this, and I know he really likes the state of Florida. But for the reasons listed above, I don't see him leaving any time soon. He might be able to make more money at Florida but he has to win now or get the boot. That's a feeling that would probably bring up some uncomfortable memories for him. He didn't have the full support of the school at UM. He does here. That kind of security is powerful. Maybe I'm wrong. It's just how I'm seeing this after watching things unfold over the last few years.
If Muschamp gets 8 or more wins this year, it's all academic anyway, cause he'll be there at least another year. They've got a decent chance to be pretty good if they can sort out that offense of theirs.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Folks, Neither Florida nor any other big SEC program is going to make a run at RichRod till he accomplishes something here. He's a system guy, and he hasn't proven that system can work in a power conference.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Salty

Post by Salty »

RR may want to leave, but there isn't another program that would be interested in him worth leaving to.

RR won't coach anywhere else in the PAC. RR will never coach in the Big Ten. Texas could be a possibility in the Big 12, but they'd never, ever be interested.

RR would leave for Florida, LSU, maybe Miami, FSU, and maybe another SEC program or two. Thing is... Not one of those programs would be even remotely interested in him.

RR will either retire in Tucson or he will be fired here. There is no chance that he will leave for another program, either because he's not stupid enough to rick his legacy again or because of a lack of interest. Florida fans would riot if they hired him, even if he won a Rose Bowl here. They're sick of Muschamp... RR has a patented 4 year rebuilding process. Florida fans are not patient enough to wait that out.

Hell... RR and Muschamp share pretty similar records. AND MUSCHAMP WENT TO A BCS BOWL!

Honestly, RR needs to focus a lot more on staying off the hot seat than being poached, at this point. 58-21 and 0-2 to your rival, 0-5 vs coaches hired the same year, losing record in the PAC, etc, aren't inspiring. Florida would probably be far more interested in Mora or Graham.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Last edited by ANGCatFan on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

All the posters who talk about RR's next coaching gig neglect to mention the golden handcuffs some wealthy UA booster recently placed on RR, SM, and GB. It is now much, much more difficult for RR to walk .... even when he again becomes attractive.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Line moved up to -9.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

azgreg wrote:Line moved up to -9.
People are probably realizing that Sac State is in fact a FCS school...
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Do we not have prediction threads anymore? Anyway

Arizona Wildcats 45

California Golden Bears 37
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

azcat49 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

A: You know, I think we've made a commitment. We moved into a brand-new facility last August. We made a commitment to football. I think as long as we keep that commitment, and I think we will, that I could see … I kind
of moved around and done that. I can see myself trying to get with my staff and try to b build the best program in America. It's be fun. We don't have a great, long history, but we do have some good football history in our background here. We've been close before. Just haven't gotten to a Rose Bowl, but we've been close. Maybe with the new facility and a new commitment we can get there. I sure would like to be the guy to help us get there.
I'm a hard core Arizona fan but if NCAA football coaching was my chosen profession, why wouldn't I keep my options open? As soon as he says, "I want to retire here" he loses all of his leverage regarding salary and regarding the commitment to football. Also, lets admit it, we are not a football power house. The Tucson audience looks for reasons not to go to the game. Just wait and see how many empty seats you see in the stadium tonight for a 3-0 team opening up their conference schedule. Cal is not the best competition but they are a worthy opponent. There are tens of other programs with much better fan support.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

With greater fan support comes the issue of living under a microscope and having every single mistake over analyzed and so on. He had enough of that at UM, I'm guessing.

30-21 Cats.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

41-28 Cats.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gimino's 5 things to watch today's game.
PREDICTION

Cal was discombobulated in Sonny Dykes' first season as head coach, finishing 1-11, but the former Arizona offensive coordinator is too smart to not get things turned around. The Bears' passing attack is dangerous on any day, and the defense is much healthier than it was all of last season, so the usual caveat applies - the Wildcats can't play poorly and expect to win.

Dangerous game? They all are in the Pac-12. But Arizona's rebuilding effort is further along than Cal's, and a loss to start conference play would be a major disappointment. Shootout expected. Arizona 41, Cal 31.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »