3 out of the last 5?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

chiefzona

Re: 3 out of the last 5?

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:You know the thing that bothers me the most is on the surface everything RR does seems perfect and makes sense.

He comes in and says he wants to retire here, thanking GB and the fans of AZ in giving him a shot.

He make Carey an all American and then Wilson and makes a pedestrian QB look like an all PAC guy at times. He takes mediocre talent and goes to 4 bowls, a south title and 32 wins in 4 years.

But underneath everything is all the rot. He and Rita bitch and complain about his pay, they hate the schedule and them they have the wondering eye for other programs.

All while taking care of his I won't recruit cronies and berating the players in practice and turning over the roster faster then a flap jack turned at IHOP.

Then he recruits Yates and it looks like a genius move except we find out Yates needed out of Boise after many failed business deals.

I hope RR does enough this year to earn more time and see if he can be the guy to do big things. His rope is short and I am not sure they are all pulling it in the same direction. Going to be an interesting fall
You left out his affair.
And the steroids in the program (why do you think they have so many injuries and don't mind smaller guys they can torque up)but some things need to stay below even the rot
And drug use....and....... the show goes on.
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:You know the thing that bothers me the most is on the surface everything RR does seems perfect and makes sense.

He comes in and says he wants to retire here, thanking GB and the fans of AZ in giving him a shot.

He make Carey an all American and then Wilson and makes a pedestrian QB look like an all PAC guy at times. He takes mediocre talent and goes to 4 bowls, a south title and 32 wins in 4 years.

But underneath everything is all the rot. He and Rita bitch and complain about his pay, they hate the schedule and them they have the wondering eye for other programs.

All while taking care of his I won't recruit cronies and berating the players in practice and turning over the roster faster then a flap jack turned at IHOP.

Then he recruits Yates and it looks like a genius move except we find out Yates needed out of Boise after many failed business deals.

I hope RR does enough this year to earn more time and see if he can be the guy to do big things. His rope is short and I am not sure they are all pulling it in the same direction. Going to be an interesting fall
You left out his affair.
And the steroids in the program (why do you think they have so many injuries and don't mind smaller guys they can torque up)but some things need to stay below even the rot
Steroids were common place during the Tomey years, saw that first hand. Nothing new on that front....
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sid wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

You left out his affair.
Steroids were common place during the Tomey years, saw that first hand. Nothing new on that front....
Aw man...most Cat fans like their warm little cocoons where denial flows like wine and lies taste like chocolate. :cry:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Wasn't chief the one that said prove it? Prove it little buddy. Put your money where your mouth is.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Lol chief saying Arizona is a softball school shows he knows jack shit about anything. But he sure does love jerking himself off on this board. Comments like that make me doubt he is even a fan or know where Tucson is on a map.

I live in Tucson. I know the game and see all the denial in the Arizona fan base. Mediocrity has reigned for far too long and excuses are made for it everyday. Sure, Arizona is a basketball school but let's not all fool ourselves. Even Florida has won two NCs within the 20 years Arizona has not and I still call them a football school. But I digress.....
If you have enough resources and hire the right coaches you can win in basketball and football. It's not rocket science Jefe.

Arizona doesn't have enough resources to be excellent at both.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue May 02, 2017 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Btw every college team did steroids in the 80s and 90s. Not like that is a shocker.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I wonder when the break point is where football sucking starts to drain resources from the AD (basketball program)?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:I wonder when the break point is where football sucking starts to drain resources from the AD (basketball program)?
Happened in the Stoops era, which made Lute quite unhappy as the basketball program was already supporting the other 10 money losing programs and now had to support football.

But looking up last fiscal year, the UA football program had a profit of $20M, and the men's basketball a profit of $10M, with an overall profit in the AD of $7M.

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/search" target="_blank
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:I wonder when the break point is where football sucking starts to drain resources from the AD (basketball program)?
I am not okay with not putting in resources needed for football to help basketball when basketball isn't making final fours.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

PHXCATS wrote:I am not okay with not putting in resources needed for football to help basketball when basketball isn't making final fours.
:lol:
Formerly McLurvin
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

PHXCATS wrote:
I am not okay with not putting in resources needed for football to help basketball when basketball isn't making final fours.
Both programs are in the black, so... What is your point exactly?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:

You left out his affair.
Affair? With whom?

Guess I wasn't paying attention.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Puerco wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
I believe more resources are needed for football and we need the fans and the athletic department to help to get those resources to the football program. And I do not think the basketball program should be getting more than needed at this point and shouldn't until they break through with Miller or Miller leaves and those funds are needed to rebuild.

Or simpler terms, I am not okay with football sucking and the AD being okay with it because basketball hasn't done enough to be like Syracuse or Kentucky or Duke or Kansas.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Good article on Yate's failed business deals.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/busi ... 98008.html" target="_blank

and his wife is "estranged"

He said almost his entire Arizona salary goes to pay three mortgages on two homes he owns in Eagle; a rental residence in Arizona; monthly living expenses; an auto lease payment for his estranged wife, Melanie; and attorney fees.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:
This should probably go in the unpopular opinion thread.

Wow.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

PHXCATS wrote:
it all makes sense now, Machina.

kick rocks
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

PHXCATS wrote:
Puerco wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
I believe more resources are needed for football and we need the fans and the athletic department to help to get those resources to the football program. And I do not think the basketball program should be getting more than needed at this point and shouldn't until they break through with Miller or Miller leaves and those funds are needed to rebuild.

Or simpler terms, I am not okay with football sucking and the AD being okay with it because basketball hasn't done enough to be like Syracuse or Kentucky or Duke or Kansas.
So you realize that being 'in the black' means revenue is greater than expense. Both programs have all they need from an operational perspective. Exactly which resources does the football program need and is not getting?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Puerco wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Puerco wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

So you realize that being 'in the black' means revenue is greater than expense. Both programs have all they need from an operational perspective. Exactly which resources does the football program need and is not getting?
Most importantly assistant coaches salaries.

Our "fans" won't show up beyond the die hards for football until we have a winner they say. But to have a winner you need money. Actually that isn't true. You need to spend money. It is great that basketball and football make more money than they spend but that doesn't mean that spending is where it needs to be to be a winner.

CST said draining basketball for football. I am not okay with draining basketball but I do think more additional funds when available should go to football over basketball due to the levels of success or lack there of with football we have seen lately. Do not take money away from assistant coaches for basketball or necessities or needed McKale renovations but if additional non earmarked funds come in and the new revenue that comes in should go to football first. It isn't a joke that when Byrne said the most important thing you can do is buy football tickets, even when there are some season tickets for basketball available and those cost more than football tickets for the most part.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

Merkin wrote:It think 8 P5 schools had no NFL picKS but 7 of then are basketball schools like Duke, Kansas, Arizona and so on.

ASUHATER! wrote:The only player RR has had drafted in the top 4 rounds was Carey.
Who just happened to be a Stoops recruit. RR's 2 recruits drafted were both in the 200s.
FIFY.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

PHXCATS wrote:Most importantly assistant coaches salaries.

Our "fans" won't show up beyond the die hards for football until we have a winner they say. But to have a winner you need money. Actually that isn't true. You need to spend money. It is great that basketball and football make more money than they spend but that doesn't mean that spending is where it needs to be to be a winner.

CST said draining basketball for football. I am not okay with draining basketball but I do think more additional funds when available should go to football over basketball due to the levels of success or lack there of with football we have seen lately. Do not take money away from assistant coaches for basketball or necessities or needed McKale renovations but if additional non earmarked funds come in and the new revenue that comes in should go to football first. It isn't a joke that when Byrne said the most important thing you can do is buy football tickets, even when there are some season tickets for basketball available and those cost more than football tickets for the most part.
You need to pay the assistant coaches what they are worth. So in principle I agree with you. However, I do not see our current stable of football coaches as one which deserves a heck of a lot more money. However, I am all on board with the HC having the financial ability to target top level assistants. The salaries of the coaching staff (minus the HC) is a drop in the bucket of the budget of the program, so the UA admin should be pretty free about it. I know that's not the case because they end up being state employees, but wherever possible you should enable your head coach to hire the very best staff. If success is important to you anyway.

BTW, this does not apply to football only, but to any positive profit sport.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Puerco wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Most importantly assistant coaches salaries.

You need to pay the assistant coaches what they are worth. So in principle I agree with you. However, I do not see our current stable of football coaches as one which deserves a heck of a lot more money. However, I am all on board with the HC having the financial ability to target top level assistants. The salaries of the coaching staff (minus the HC) is a drop in the bucket of the budget of the program, so the UA admin should be pretty free about it. I know that's not the case because they end up being state employees, but wherever possible you should enable your head coach to hire the very best staff. If success is important to you anyway.

BTW, this does not apply to football only, but to any positive profit sport.
I agree completely about the current coaches but I have a feeling we are going to need to be hiring a lot of new coaches after this season including a new head coach (I think RR needs to go 7-5 with beating asu or 8-4 to keep his job). We lost a guy who was recruiting well for us this year when additional money would have kept him. Can't have that happen if we want to be a winner,