Week 4: California scout/discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

qwertyus

Re: Week 4: California scout/discussion

Post by qwertyus »

btfd16 wrote:
UALoco wrote:
azgreg wrote:For those interested here is a Arizona thread on one of their boards.

http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthrea ... what-long)

Funny.... their posts all use statistics and are very insightful. They are hopeful and not overly critical of their team that was ofer last year in the Pac 12. In our forum we can't bash the defense enough and can't get over the uniform/whiteout situation.
Agree 100%. I really enjoyed reading their board. They all seemed to really use their heads and stats to provide actual info rather than focus on silly little things, like us, or automatically assume every game is a win and their shit doesn't stink.... looking at you DD.
Their board is full of crazy amounts of optimism, that's what I've read. While on here we'll lament about our defense, and continue harping about our problems, the people on that board focus on talking about the positive things. Anything negative, like their own defense, is talked about only briefly, long enough for them to reaffirm their undying faith in their exceptional coaching staff. Did you guys read the "Nobody will believe me, but..." thread where that guy talked about having a good chance to win the PAC? I know the weed's generally of higher quality there, and they must be smoking quite a bit of it there.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I wonder how much this storm is going to effect the practice for this game.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

azgreg wrote:I wonder how much this storm is going to effect the practice for this game.
I don't even think it's going to be hot by the time Saturday rolls around. Boo, this rain, boo.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azgreg wrote:CAL vs. ARIZONA: Keys to the Game

http://california.scout.com/story/14516 ... game?s=166
So, these guys think that Cal has the best receivers in the Pac-12 and maybe the nation? Heh.
devilswin99

Post by devilswin99 »

I really am enjoying the resurgence of the Cal Bears and I think that they will surprise many this season! GO BEARS!!!

Cal - 42
UA - 17
Last edited by devilswin99 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it's a great time to be a pothead - Chicat
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Going to be an offensive explosion. Cal has a good passing offense and we're stacked. We should be the favorites, but how we do depends on how the D dials it in. The 3-3-5 should match well for what we want to do, but we've been shaky.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

devilswin99 wrote:I really an enjoying the resurgence of the Cal Bears and I think that they will surprise many this season! GO BEARS!!!

Cal - 42
UA - 17
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

catinfl

Post by catinfl »

devilswin99 wrote:I really am enjoying the resurgence of the Cal Bears and I think that they will surprise many this season! GO BEARS!!!

Cal - 42
UA - 17
Someone is feeling a bit insecure after TK went down isn't he. It's ok we all get scared sometimes.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

devilswin99

Post by devilswin99 »

catinfl wrote:
devilswin99 wrote:I really am enjoying the resurgence of the Cal Bears and I think that they will surprise many this season! GO BEARS!!!

Cal - 42
UA - 17
Someone is feeling a bit insecure after TK went down isn't he. It's ok we all get scared sometimes.

I know Berco will step up and be a leader for the time he is given. Been around the program a long time and knows the system. Not worried at all......

I would be biting fingernails if I was a Cats fan. Cal looks dominant....glad to see Sonny turn around the ship so quickly!!
it's a great time to be a pothead - Chicat
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'd be worried as an Asu fan with 4 straight losses coming.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

devilswin99 wrote:
catinfl wrote:

Cal - 42
UA - 17

I know Berco will step up and be a leader for the time he is given. Been around the program a long time and knows the system. Not worried at all......

I would be biting fingernails if I was a Cats fan. Cal looks dominant....glad to see Sonny turn around the ship so quickly!!
Lots of guys know the system - question is if he was that good he would be starting. Nice effort though.

How's that swiss cheese of a D doing? What did CU have for total yards against the greatest D in assu history according to TG? 232 rushing yards at over 6 yards a pop and 313 passing yards. The same CU that lost to CSU and had all of 17 points and 373 total yards. The same CU that struggled to beat UMass. If I was you I would be worried about your sorry ass D with the meat of your schedule coming up and playing your back-up QB.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Line now down to -9.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Their prediction thread. I get the idea that a number of them haven't seen us play.

http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthrea ... ion-thread
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I said it before the season, I don't think Cal is going to be anywhere near the dumpster fire they were last year. People think that they're going to have a 2-3 win season, but I think they are better, 5 wins, maybe not a bowl team, but they'll fight. I figure Arizona will win this one, it won't be the shootout everyone expects, and Cal will play well enough to turn a few heads. Weird things happen when Arizona plays Cal.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Home team has won something like 7 of the last 8 games in this series.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

California at Arizona 9/20/14 - College Football Picks & Predictions

http://freepicks.picksandparlays.net/mo ... edictions/

The Pac 12 is set to feature a marquee match-up between Cal and Arizona. Cal is scheduled to head out on the road to Arizona Stadium, but they have proven that they can win. After a lopsided 55-14 win over Sacramento State, Cal is 2-0. The Golden Bears have excelled in passing, ranking 27th in college football with an average of 313 yards per game.

Cal Quarterback Jared Goff is 38-52 during his passing attempts. He has set 510 passing yards and recorded 7 passing touchdowns as well. Daniel Lasco has been an undeniable asset for Cal as well. He has rushed 17 times, but has quickly accumulated 116 yards and a touchdown as well.

Arizona is 3-0 and ready to prove that they are ready to compete in the Pac 12. This will be their first meeting against a conference opponent. They had a narrow 35-28 win over the Nevada Wolf Pack during their last game.

Head coach Rich Rodriguez is leading the Wildcats this year. Anu Solomon has played the quarterback position masterfully, already throwing for 938 yards and 8 touchdowns. Nick Wilson has been an indisputable asset as a running back. He has carried 66 times, producing 449 yards along the way. Wilson has also added 4 rushing touchdowns to the mix.

Recent Betting Trends:

Home team is 6-1 ATS in their last 7 meetings.

Golden Bears are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 meetings.

Under is 6-2 in the last 8 meetings.

Under is 4-0 in Wildcats last 4 games in September.

Wildcats are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games in September.

Free Betting Pick: Cal Golden Bears +12.5

Last year Cal wasn't very good but fans saw a glimpse of what Coach Sunny Dykes was doing as Bears nearly pulled home upset of Arizona. Wildcats ended up winning 33-28 but not before Cal sent message that things are changing in and around their program. The improvement has continues in 2014 as Cal went on road to open year and beat Northwestern and then followed it up with blowout of Sacramento State. Now Cal is coming in off week of rest and could be ready to pull big upset. In the end Cal comes up just short, final score prediction, Arizona Wildcats win but fall short of ATS Cover 31-28.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:Coach Sunny Dykes
Sunny?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
Sunny?
It is California. :lol:
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azgreg wrote:Their prediction thread. I get the idea that a number of them haven't seen us play.

http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthrea ... ion-thread
Well at least "bearister" is somewhat familiar with Southern Arizona attractions:

"I predict that after the game Sonny goes to Li'l Abner's for some BBQ and cervezas and then he takes a road trip to Nogales to blow smoke on an iguana until it passes out."

:lol:
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ESPN Blog story on the game.
Arizona is aiming to become the least glamorous 4-0 team in the nation this weekend. There's only a remote shot the Wildcats will earn a top-25 ranking with a victory. A loss? They'd immediately be voted off Relevancy Island by the unforgiving college football cognoscenti.

Cal will land in Tucson with a lot of confidence. The Bears view last year as an unfortunate alignment of the football planets, one that created an injury-plagued disastrous anomaly. Even then, they played Arizona tough a year ago, using a late touchdown to only lose at home by five points, their closest conference game.

We don't yet know a lot about Arizona. Cal's visit might prove to be a more revealing matchup that it appeared to be in the preseason.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Random fact from the azcentral.com that doesn't have anywhere else to go. We are doing a nice job keeping Arizona players in Arizona.
Colleges with more than 1 Arizonan on roster:

Arizona, 40; ASU, 38; Oregon, 8; Stanford, 8; Wyoming, 6; Utah State, 6; Navy, 6; Army, 6; UCLA, 5; New Mexico, 5; New Mexico State, 5; San Jose State, 5; Utah, 4; San Diego State, 4; UNLV, 4; Idaho 4; Washington, 3; California, 3; Boise State, 3; Tulane, 3; Fresno State, 3; Hawaii, 3; SMU, 2; Louisville, 2; TCU, 2; UTEP, 2; BYU, 2; Arkansas, 2; Texas A&M, 2.
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sorry, but these guys are unlistenable.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Sunny?
Will Sunny come home with a vengeance?
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

azgreg wrote:Sorry, but these guys are unlistenable.

Not too shitty.

Clear homerism, but that's to be expected/ They said AS makes "alot of boneheaded mistakes", but forgot to mention that he's got a grand total on 1 interception, which when coupled with his other stats, would seem to fly in the face of that statement...

Other than that, the ridiculous fedora, and the other guy's accent being weird as hell, not horrible. Nothing that anyone else hasn't been saying.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

qwertyus wrote:

Not too shitty.

Clear homerism, but that's to be expected/ They said AS makes "alot of boneheaded mistakes", but forgot to mention that he's got a grand total on 1 interception, which when coupled with his other stats, would seem to fly in the face of that statement...

Other than that, the ridiculous fedora, and the other guy's accent being weird as hell, not horrible. Nothing that anyone else hasn't been saying.
I'm with Greg. Unlistenable. I could only take it for about 3 minutes. Must be their first effort. Berk and Finley are far more polished in their presentation.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BearDown89 wrote:I'm with Greg. Unlistenable. I could only take it for about 3 minutes. Must be their first effort. Berk and Finley are far more polished in their presentation.
That's what I thought. It comes off as first try at high school audio club.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Not quite sure I understand the "bone-headed mistakes" based on Anu's passing efficiency. It's clearly documented in the stats that he has 1 INT and his total yards is very respectable. I assume they haven't watched our games.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Anybody have any injury updates?
prh

Post by prh »

azgreg wrote:Anybody have any injury updates?
Samajie didn't practice Tuesday. Sounds like he might not play. Injury report should come out today I believe.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

prh wrote:
Samajie didn't practice Tuesday. Sounds like he might not play. Injury report should come out today I believe.
Berk tweeted that Grant is out. Worthy is guy we need back in the lineup...any news there? I also noted in the Star today that Fuimaono has been fully practicing and might get into the DL rotation on Saturday which is good to hear.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Line now at -7.5 some places. I can't recall the last time I saw a line move this much.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

BMalo wrote:Not quite sure I understand the "bone-headed mistakes" based on Anu's passing efficiency. It's clearly documented in the stats that he has 1 INT and his total yards is very respectable. I assume they haven't watched our games.
He did have two glaring ones Saturday. It's almost like he's a freshman or something.

I'm curious if Wildcat DBs are going to be able to jump any of those quick-out routes that Dykes likes to call.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UPSET SPECIAL

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... ate-091814
CAL (+9) at ARIZONA (10, Pac-12 Network)

Mandel: It’s still early, but Sonny Dykes’ Bears seem to be playing with much more confidence than you’d expect from a team coming off a 1-11 season. Sophomore quarterback Jared Goff is a Top 10-rated passer who has a much better grasp of the offense than he did as a true freshman starter. Arizona’s speedy skill players will likely bust more than a few big plays against the Bears’ defense, but they’re better prepared than most for Arizona’s style of play. Cal 37, Arizona 34.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

azpenguin wrote: He did have two glaring ones Saturday. It's almost like he's a freshman or something.

I'm curious if Wildcat DBs are going to be able to jump any of those quick-out routes that Dykes likes to call.
True, however I would call those "freshman errors" as opposed to bone headed mistakes. Symantics.

I recently started following you on twitter, btw :geek:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Haha nice, the cat popping out of the bush to scare the bear away is one of my favorite videos.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Pop McKale wrote:
prh wrote:
Berk tweeted that Grant is out. Worthy is guy we need back in the lineup...any news there? I also noted in the Star today that Fuimaono has been fully practicing and might get into the DL rotation on Saturday which is good to hear.
Worthy tweeted earlier in the week that he would be playing against Cal FWIW.
-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:
Heard Rome had Furyk on today as well.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

catinfl

Post by catinfl »

wow. that was difficult. It's clear they're both homers and haven't seen Arizona play at all this season.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

BearDown89 wrote: I'm with Greg. Unlistenable. I could only take it for about 3 minutes. Must be their first effort. Berk and Finley are far more polished in their presentation.
You listened to more of it than I could.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Man I think this is going to be a high scoring game as our defense can't stop anyone. The over/under is 70 but it wouldn't surprise me if it was 80+
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion