Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:I learn so much from the interactions between Scum / Hater and Machina.
Especially from the ramblings of machina.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I learn so much from the interactions between Scum / Hater and Machina.
Remember in that other thread where you questioned why people would believe something everyone else knows not to be true and I said it was because people refused to admit they are wrong?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Alieberman wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Remember in that other thread where you questioned why people would believe something everyone else knows not to be true and I said it was because people refused to admit they are wrong?
Unfortunately you're getting people confused with one another
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
I did indeed.

My mistake, sorry. (see how easy that is?!)
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

We sound the same over the phone too.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
I did indeed.

My mistake, sorry. (see how easy that is?!)
Awesome, but still doesn't make what I said wrong.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

UALoco wrote:I would be happy to debate at the Southern Utah or USC tailgate (debating under the influence is the funnest).

I'll be traveling Labor Day weekend and miss the BYU game, I know, "bad fan."

At half-time, I will be focused on grabbing some of the new cuisine they have to offer this year. :D
I have a bachelor party the same weekend as the USC game which was the one I was targeting...thinking now Colorado or ASU and more then likely ASU game.

Happy to buy Machina and ASUHater and UALoco's all chicken tenders wrapped in a Waffle Cone too while they debate
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Newportcat wrote: I have a bachelor party the same weekend as the USC game
Ouch. :o No doubt you'll have great time but I feel like the USC game is "the game to be at" this year. I will have all my boys in Tucson for that game and it will be a "de facto" bachelor party. :twisted: I reserved my room at the ALOFT the day the schedule came out. :ugeek:
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UALoco wrote:
Ouch. :o No doubt you'll have great time but I feel like the USC game is "the game to be at" this year. I will have all my boys in Tucson for that game and it will be a "de facto" bachelor party. :twisted: I reserved my room at the ALOFT the day the schedule came out. :ugeek:
Just hit the year where I no longer know anyone well enough that I can stay with on a couch... the worst feeling.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

btfd16 wrote:
UALoco wrote:
Just hit the year where I no longer know anyone well enough that I can stay with on a couch... the worst feeling.
Like a good pair of shoes, I don't ever skimp on where I am gonna crash. Sleep, convenience, comfort, and privacy are worth the premium.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I just moved back to Tucson after being away for 26 (Jesus) years. Gonna try to be at all the games this year. Let’s hope we exceed expectations this year.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I just moved back to Tucson after being away for 26 (Jesus) years. Gonna try to be at all the games this year. Let’s hope we exceed expectations this year.
Have you been to a game in the last 26 years? If not, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the game day experience compared to what you remember.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

btfd16 wrote:
UALoco wrote:
I remember that feeling...it is very sad
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

UALoco wrote:
That game is going to be awesome especially if we are 4-0 going into it. But a Bachelor Party is never bad!

Will let you know what game I decide on
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

UALoco wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:I just moved back to Tucson after being away for 26 (Jesus) years. Gonna try to be at all the games this year. Let’s hope we exceed expectations this year.
Have you been to a game in the last 26 years? If not, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the game day experience compared to what you remember.
I’ve been to a handful of games. Watched us spank highly ranked UCLA squads a couple of times. The main difference that I can recall is the better sound system, the video board and the strange tradition of fans leaving at halftime. I don’t recall that being the case when I was in school.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... all-games/" target="_blank
UConn AD calls out Huskies fan base to “be accountable” and show up for football games
By Bryan FischerJul 27, 2018, 5:47 PM EDT

UConn football has not been good recently, to put it mildly. The Huskies have played in only one bowl game the past seven seasons and won more than five games just once since they miraculously made that Fiesta Bowl in 2010. Ever since joining the AAC in 2013, the program’s highest finish has been tied for third in a six-team division.

So yeah, not good.

As you can expect, this has led to even smaller crowds at home over the years. The NCAA officially says UConn averaged 20,335 (in a 40,000 seat stadium) per home game in 2017, a figure smaller than some FCS schools like James Madison and Montana and a bit inflated given one of the “home” games was against Boston College at Fenway Park.

Well, it seems that the athletic director at the school is not all that happy at fans staying home when their team needs them and proceeded to call them out a bit this week at the AAC’s annual media day/clambake.

“We need our fan base to step up and be accountable if they want to have a quality football program and quality programs in general,” David Benedict told the Journal Inquirer. “You’ve got support the programs through thick and thin. That’s what great programs do. We have to try to re-engage our fan base and get them to start buying into that.

“But it’s really about creating an accountability with our fan base to have them take some ownership, just like coach (Randy Edsall) is trying to get his team to take some ownership and be accountable for what they’re doing.”

We’re sure all the fans are thrilled at being questioned about coming out to watch a sub-par product on the field and will quickly buy some season tickets as a result of these comments…
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

:lol: keep fighting that uphill battle big mach.

if our AD said that I would absolutely refuse to buy tickets at all. less than the once-ish a year i have the last 3-4 seasons.
prh

Post by prh »

Their attendance is going to really drop after that. Also, if fans are going to take ownership, then shouldn't they get some of the profits from football? This isn't the Green Bay Packers, and ownership is an awful word to use there. Also funny to say how the fans need to take accountability, just like the coach. What about accountability for the AD, considering that he is ultimately the CEO of athletics. If the football teams sucks for years, across multiple coaches, well, that's his problem to fix.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

prh wrote:Their attendance is going to really drop after that. Also, if fans are going to take ownership, then shouldn't they get some of the profits from football? This isn't the Green Bay Packers, and ownership is an awful word to use there. Also funny to say how the fans need to take accountability, just like the coach. What about accountability for the AD, considering that he is ultimately the CEO of athletics. If the football teams sucks for years, across multiple coaches, well, that's his problem to fix.
bingo.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

prh wrote:Their attendance is going to really drop after that. Also, if fans are going to take ownership, then shouldn't they get some of the profits from football? This isn't the Green Bay Packers, and ownership is an awful word to use there. Also funny to say how the fans need to take accountability, just like the coach. What about accountability for the AD, considering that he is ultimately the CEO of athletics. If the football teams sucks for years, across multiple coaches, well, that's his problem to fix.
How do you get the best coaches? Money
How do you get the best facilities? Money
How do you get the best players? Best coaches and facilities. So money and money
How do college programs get money? Conference splits-uncontrollable by the program and fans. Conference TV deals-uncontrollable by the program and fans for the most part. Donations-controllable Ticket sales-controllable

Probably really dumb he said it, but it is the truth and Heeke feels the exact same way
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

he just doesn't get it. provide all the logical reasoning, facts, and true nature of public opinion (not just the 12 diehards who will gladly show up to a game and buy season tickets even if we've lost 50 games in a row) and he still doesn't get it.

this isn't 1984 anymore.
prh

Post by prh »

If Heeke thinks he doesn't to answer for a shitty football program, then he's worse than Byrne. Something makes me think that's not the case. If Sumlin thinks he can't build a winner until the fans show up, well that goes against what he's repeatedly said since arriving.

You sounded smarter when were trashing Newport for leaving football, which is saying something
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

prh wrote:If Heeke thinks he doesn't to answer for a shitty football program, then he's worse than Byrne. Something makes me think that's not the case. If Sumlin thinks he can't build a winner until the fans show up, well that goes against what he's repeatedly said since arriving.

You sounded smarter when were trashing Newport for leaving football, which is saying something

I have never once said that fans are NEEDED to win. I have always said it makes the job of winning EASIER.

And I never trashed Newport for leaving so cool lie bro.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

All lower level seats and most upper level seats are sold for a practice for the basketball team, yet the football games still have plenty of seats available. Not a good look for the Arizona Athletics Program as a whole.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I think maybe it is because our basketball team has been objectively much better to watch and much more worth your average fan's money for the last 35 years. I could be wrong, but that's a reasonable thought most semi-intelligent people would have.

:lol:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Even the huge programs are reducing capacity.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/fsu-sem ... g-alabama/" target="_blank

The Rays aren't the only team looking to downsize their stadium capacity.

It's becoming a trend in college football, too.

The latest one is mighty Alabama. As part of the Bryant-Denny Stadium renovations expected to be announced today, the Crimson Tide will reduce its seating capacity from the current 101,821, according to the Tuscaloosa News.

Florida State already did so, dropping Doak Campbell Stadium from 82,300 to 79,560 before the start of the 2016 season. Miami's new-look Hard Rock Stadium dropped capacity to about 65,000 seats. Penn State is planning to eliminate seating at Beaver Stadium, too.

And so on.

College football attendance is decreasing across the country, so maybe the extra seats aren't necessary. Depending on the specific amenities and details, schools might make more money with fewer seats by charging more for a better experience.

Regardless, when mighty 'Bama is reducing its seating capacity, it's time to start looking at the issue much more seriously.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:All lower level seats and most upper level seats are sold for a practice for the basketball team, yet the football games still have plenty of seats available. Not a good look for the Arizona Athletics Program as a whole.

I think it also comes down to time management. Football is an all day thing while basketball is 2 hours tops.

No tailgating at bball games in general and you are home and in bed by 10pm mostly. College football sold its soul to TV and now has to live with it. That drum you are beating might be loud but for the most part isn't going to change anytime soon for any school West of the rockies
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:All lower level seats and most upper level seats are sold for a practice for the basketball team, yet the football games still have plenty of seats available. Not a good look for the Arizona Athletics Program as a whole.

I think it also comes down to time management. Football is an all day thing while basketball is 2 hours tops.

No tailgating at bball games in general and you are home and in bed by 10pm mostly. College football sold its soul to TV and now has to live with it. That drum you are beating might be loud but for the most part isn't going to change anytime soon for any school West of the rockies
I am not arguing an actual game for the U of A Basketball team, we are talking about a freaking practice. PRACTICE. People will buy tickets for a practice but cant go to a game that matters.

I dont disagree with anything you are saying, but we have to realize how much of an advantage the fans give the U of A Basketball team and how much being a fair weather fan hurts/doesnt help the football team in terms of winning games
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:Even the huge programs are reducing capacity.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/fsu-sem ... g-alabama/" target="_blank

The Rays aren't the only team looking to downsize their stadium capacity.

It's becoming a trend in college football, too.

The latest one is mighty Alabama. As part of the Bryant-Denny Stadium renovations expected to be announced today, the Crimson Tide will reduce its seating capacity from the current 101,821, according to the Tuscaloosa News.

Florida State already did so, dropping Doak Campbell Stadium from 82,300 to 79,560 before the start of the 2016 season. Miami's new-look Hard Rock Stadium dropped capacity to about 65,000 seats. Penn State is planning to eliminate seating at Beaver Stadium, too.

And so on.

College football attendance is decreasing across the country, so maybe the extra seats aren't necessary. Depending on the specific amenities and details, schools might make more money with fewer seats by charging more for a better experience.

Regardless, when mighty 'Bama is reducing its seating capacity, it's time to start looking at the issue much more seriously.
I remember seeing posts from Alabama fans on a national college football board like 5 years ago bemoaning students showing up late and leaving early and fans leaving at halftime and there being empty patches in the stadium in the 4th quarter.

It's not just an Arizona thing machina. You gotta start harping on Alabama fans too bud.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

"It is okay that we have bad fans and suck because Bama is slightly less than full, dont worry about the absolute embarrassment for our student section being bare every game or how much the lack of attendance negatively impacts recruiting" ASUHATER!
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Sounds like the little lady is holding out on Machina again
Formerly McLurvin
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:"It is okay that we have bad fans and suck because Bama is slightly less than full, dont worry about the absolute embarrassment for our student section being bare every game or how much the lack of attendance negatively impacts recruiting" ASUHATER!
Every program in college football should say the same thing then since it affects everyone.

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

A good way to help fill AZ Stadium would be to make a post here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5274" target="_blank

Could win you a couple of tickets to the BYU game! (or could win someone you know tickets!)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

SORRY FOR FEEDING THE TROLL
PHXCATS wrote:I am not arguing an actual game for the U of A Basketball team, we are talking about a freaking practice. PRACTICE. People will buy tickets for a practice but cant go to a game that matters.
I dont disagree with anything you are saying, but we have to realize how much of an advantage the fans give the U of A Basketball team and how much being a fair weather fan hurts/doesnt help the football team in terms of winning games
Wow. Just wow. Sounds like we should make McKale 4 times the capacity it currently is.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

They want people at the stadium at 7:46 pm next Friday?

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Didn't A&M have rally's in the stadium the night before home games?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Committing 5+ hours on game day is tough enough. Pass.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
prh

Post by prh »

It’s our job to put the product on the field
Someone needs to tell Kevin how this really works...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

prh wrote:
Funny how Sumlin has said multiple times how much of a difference fans make and how he needs everyone to be there.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:
prh wrote:
Funny how Sumlin has said multiple times how much of a difference fans make and how he needs everyone to be there.
Yet the only thing that actually matters is the team and program actually producing. Anymore I honestly think you just stick with this "Tucson fans are evil and to blame for everything ever" schtick just because it's your identity. You can't honestly still be this stupid.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

First 2 home games: 7:45 pm, 8:00 pm.

Too late for us old timers, and many of the students will leave at half time for the clubs and parties.

I'm not even sure I will be up to watch the end of those games in the comfort of my own home.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:First 2 home games: 7:45 pm, 8:00 pm.

Too late for us old timers, and many of the students will leave at half time for the clubs and parties.

I'm not even sure I will be up to watch the end of those games in the comfort of my own home.
Machina will whine something about it being hot, but by then sunset is at like 7 pm or earlier. Still no reason to not have like 6-7 pm games.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I wonder how many times Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida State fans complain about kickoff time. All of which have fanbases that travel much further on a game in and game out basis per capita compared to Arizona
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:

I wonder how many times Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida State fans complain about kickoff time. All of which have fanbases that travel much further on a game in and game out basis per capita compared to Arizona
How many 8 oclock games does Alabama play?

Note their first 3 games: 5 pm, 12:30 pm, 4 pm.

Texas: 9 am, 5 pm, 5 pm

Michigan: 4:30 pm, 9 am, 12:30 pm

Ohio State: 9:30 am, 12:30 pm, 5 pm.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Might want to think about local time for each school
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Just stop while you're behind

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

All those games are played in their own time zone. Most are at home.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

All those games are played in their own time zone. Most are at home.
What does that even mean? Texas does not play at 9am Central (Texas) time. Does Arizona not play in their own time zone and at home 2 of the 3 OOC?

Local times for each school of the times Merkin noted

Bama 7pm 2:30pm 6pm
Texas 11am 7pm 7pm
Michigan 7:30pm noon 3:30pm
Ohio State 12:30pm 3:30om 8pm
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I'm good with the late starts in September. Sun might go down at 6:30, but it's still hot for a while. When Iowa came here in 2010 that game was 95 at kickoff. It's the 8 pm starts in October and November that really suck.