100th Homecoming

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

100th Homecoming

Post by ANGCatFan »

Tomorrow is Arizona's 100th homecoming game. The Star has a great pictorial review of the last 100 years of Arizona football homecomings. Here are some of my favorites:

1922: Florine Pinson, a junior English major from Miami, Ariz, was selected as "Queen of the 1923 Desert" yearbook. It's not Homecoming royalty (though possibly a predecessor), since the first official Homecoming queen was crowned until 1947. Besides, traditional Homecoming royalty typically don't opt for risque poses.
1943: Football was suspended in 1943 and 1944 due to World War II. The Desert yearbook published pages of snapshots of former Wildcats now serving in the military. The campus became home to U.S. Navy cadet pilots, who lived in Yavapai Hall, had classroom instruction campus and flight instruction Gilpin Airfield at Kino and I-10, which is now home to Costco and Walmart.
1958: Kappa Sigma fraternity members won first place in the "Proposition 200" category with a funeral procession in protest to the controversial ballot initiative to change the name of Arizona State College in Tempe to "Arizona State University." Tucsonans took issue, since UA was the defacto state university for 73 years.
1970: Rufus the Wildcat died in October, 1970, before the Homecoming game against Air Force. The Desert Yearbook said the autopsy indicated stress brought on by an ulcerous condition or a virus. The veterinarian was quoted as saying the games "were a terrible stress on the animal." The ASUA Senate passed a resolution abolishing the use of a live animal as mascot. The yearbook went on: "So there will no longer be a Rufus. The only University mascot will have to be Wilbur...."
Merkin

Re: 100th Homecoming

Post by Merkin »

Rey?

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Javier Morales with some great Wildcat history. Today we celebrate 100 years of being Wildcats.

Arizona took the field against Occidental in 1914 as a nondescript program with the nicknames of “Varsity” and “Red and Blue”.

Arizona’s historic game, one in which Henry tabbed the Varsity as having “the fight of wild cats”, could have been a rout for Occidental from the start. That would have changed the course of history. What would Arizona’s nickname be today?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Those guys would be small on a pee wee team now.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

O line is like 6' 165 haha
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.