PAC 12 Media Days

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

PAC 12 Media Days

Post by ANGCatFan »

Media Days will b July 30 and 31 and Seniors Will Parks and David Richards will represent the Wildcats.

Image Image
azcat49

Re: PAC 12 Media Days

Post by azcat49 »

I like taking Sr's who have given so much to the program say over a Cayleb Jones or Scooby Wright
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

P12 Media Day is one week from today. Schedule:
Scheduled appearances from college football media personalities including: FOX Sports’ Bruce Feldman, San Jose Mercury News’ Jon Wilner and Sports Illustrated Senior Writer Pete Thamel.

Day 1 (Thursday, July 30)

Host: Mike Yam; Analysts: Yogi Roth, Curtis Conway, Nick Aliotti

Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott’s live remarks from podium
Interviews with head coaches Mike MacIntyre (Colorado), Todd Graham (Arizona State), Gary Andersen (Oregon State), Jim Mora (UCLA), Chris Petersen (Washington) and David Shaw (Stanford).
Student-athletes duos from Colorado (Stephane Nembot, Kenneth Olugbode), Arizona State (Mike Bercovici, Jordan Simone), Oregon State (Storm Barrs-Woods, Larry Scott), UCLA (Jake Brendel, Fabian Moreau), Washington (Deontae Cooper, Travis Feeney) and Stanford (Kyle Murphy, Blake Martinez) share their expectations heading into the 2015 season.
Yam, Conway and Roth discuss the state of college football with Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott

Day 2 (Friday, July 31)

Host: Mike Yam; Analysts: Yogi Roth, Curtis Conway, Matt Leinart

Pac-12 Networks president Lydia Murphy-Stephans’ live remarks from podium
Interviews with head coaches Kyle Whittingham (Utah), Rich Rodriguez (Arizona), Sonny Dykes (California), Steve Sarkisian (USC), Mark Helfrich (Oregon) and Mike Leach (Washington State).
Review of the new rules and points of emphasis with Pac-12 Vice President of Officiating David Coleman.
Student-athletes Devontae Booker and Jared Norris of Utah, Arizona’s David Richards and Will Parks, Jared Goff and Hardy Nickerson of California, Trojans’ Cody Kessler and Su’a Cravens, Royce Freeman and Rodney Hardrick of Oregon, and Washington State’s Joe Dahl and Jeremiah Allison weigh in on the state of their teams.
Also, the world's very first bikini was unveiled on this day 69 years ago (1946).

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Haller at azcentral.com has the first media poll I've seen.

Here is his South prediction:
SOUTH DIVISION

1. Arizona State

Eyes rolling over the hometown reporter picking the local team? I get it. (For the record, I’ve picked ASU to win the South only once -- 2013, the year it won.) But here’s the deal: Not much went right for ASU last season. The quarterback missed three games with a broken foot. The defense needed half the season to figure things out -- and the Sun Devils still won 10 games.

Don’t worry about the offense. Even with the uncertainty at tackle, this group will score. No, this season’s success depends on the defense. Last year, ASU was average on that side. This season, with nine starters returning, the Sun Devils will be better. And it will get them to the conference championship game.

2. Arizona

Remember last year’s Territorial Cup, the one that decided the South? Good. Because this year’s showdown at Sun Devil Stadium will have similar stakes. The Wildcats return their starting quarterback, leading rusher, leading receiver and the best linebacker in the country in Scooby Wright.

True, the schedule doesn’t include an off-week, but overall, it’s not bad. UA’s downfall: Final-month road games against USC and ASU.

3. USC

The Trojans are the national favorite and without question, there is much to like. Quarterback Cody Kessler is efficient and the offensive line shapes up as one of the best in the country. Even so, the defense must improve, and that won’t be easy without All-America defensive end Leonard Williams and leading tackler Hayes Pullard.

4. UCLA

The Bruins are loaded everywhere expect for where it matters most -- quarterback. Josh Rosen is expected to win the job. He’s talented, but relying on a true freshman to navigate a division this tough is far from ideal.

5. Utah

The Utes last season won nine games, the first time they have done so as a member of the Pac-12. Duplicating such efforts will be difficult.

6. Colorado

The Buffaloes lost their final eight to end last season, but four were decided by a touchdown or less (two coming in overtime). Mike MacIntyre’s group is improving, but so is the rest of the division.
I think it is easy to make a case for any of the top 4 teams in the south. Utah, I believe, is a step back if for no other reason than the off season coaching issues.

If I am right and the top 4 teams are real close, it could come down to the individual P12 schedules. USC misses Wash St and Oregon St, Ucla misses Oregon and Washington, and ASSu misses Stanford and Oregon St while Arizona misses Oregon and Cal. Just based on schedule I would give the easiest P12 path to Arizona, Ucla, ASSu, and then USC who has to face the north's top 3 teams.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here are Gabe Encinas', SB Nation, P12 predictions for media day.

Probably one of the more optimistic Wildcat predictions we will see this week since he expects us to beat ucla and Stanford early in the year, but fall to USC and ASSu in November. USC has the toughest P12 schedule having to play the top 3 teams in the north. I expect the Trojans to lose to at least one north school and also drop one to a south school. So, if Encinas is correct on Arizona, we would once again be playing the scummies where a win would guarantee a P12 south title. We are not losing that game.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gabe is a pretty big homer.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Bloguin.com has a roundtable of writers making their case for who will win the P12. Five different perspectives, but they all think it will be Oregon or USC. There are a couple Arizona shout outs including this brilliant piece of analysis:
Bart Doan:

On Twitter @TheCoachBart

Trying to pick the Pac 12 champ is like going to a restaurant out of state that you’ve always heard great things about. You get one meal there and about 15 on the menu look better than anything you’ve eaten in the last 10 years. But you’ve got to get on the road, so it’s one and out.

Oregon looks stout and the north appears to be an easier trek to navigate than the south, plus you get Southern Cal at home. Arizona just smells like they have a potential title run in them for whatever reason.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here is the Devil's Digest P12 football ballot FWIW. ASSu #1 and Arizona #4 in the south and each team's schedule plays a large part in their analysis.

What I found strange is they failed to notice that ASSu has a home game against Oregon and must travel to Cal to finish the season. The 2 teams Devil's Digest rank as the best of the north and Arizona won't play either team this year. Also, ASSu's bye is the week before Oregon when the Ducks also have a bye, so they gain no advantage.

I much prefer Arizona's schedule over ASSu's. Missing what may be the 2 best teams in the north division is a huge advantage and more than offsets playing 12 weeks straight.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Coach Rod's espn schedule for Wednesday, 29 July. Hard to believe espn will be able to take much time off of deflate gate to talk Wildcat football.

FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

RichRod and Graham are about to talk on Sportscenter RIGHT NOW if you are near a tv or computer
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm sure the majority of questions will be about Tom Brady's deflated balls...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
FightWildcatsFight

FightWildcatsFight wrote:RichRod and Graham are about to talk on Sportscenter RIGHT NOW if you are near a tv or computer
Well that went smoothly
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:
FightWildcatsFight wrote:RichRod and Graham are about to talk on Sportscenter RIGHT NOW if you are near a tv or computer
Well that went smoothly
What'd I miss?
FightWildcatsFight

azgreg wrote:
FightWildcatsFight wrote:
Well that went smoothly
What'd I miss?
Not much, it was friendly. They both promoted the state of Arizona and the rivalry, and went over their past relationships. Nothing highlight worthy or really informative as far as football goes.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FightWildcatsFight

azgreg wrote:BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty much. I'm digging RichRod's apple watch, though.
FightWildcatsFight

The ESPN Pac-12 blog writers unanimously pick Arizona to barely edge out Colorado for #5 in the South. Just downright disrespect.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... media-poll
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:The ESPN Pac-12 blog writers unanimously pick Arizona to barely edge out Colorado for #5 in the South.

Wow...

Glad to know everyone still underestimates RichRod.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

seriously...consensus 5th place behind everyone but colorado. shit.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well considering that all five teams in the South besides Colorado will probably ranked preseason itdoesn't bother me..what bothers me is that we barely edge out Colorado and it's unanimous at 5th.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
FightWildcatsFight

ASUHATER! wrote:Well considering that all five teams in the South besides Colorado will probably ranked preseason itdoesn't bother me..what bothers me is that we barely edge out Colorado and it's unanimous at 5th.
What bothers me is that when we win the South this year they are all gonna act like they knew it all along.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:The ESPN Pac-12 blog writers unanimously pick Arizona to barely edge out Colorado for #5 in the South. Just downright disrespect.

Ahh, AZ in great shape then. ESPN Blog writers picked AZ to finish 4th last year. Experts...

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... ll-ballots
FightWildcatsFight

How can you have ASU and Arizona so for apart? One of the writers even has them winning the PAC12.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So Utah ahead of the cats? That makes little sense to me if our offense stays healthy.

Oh well, greater motivation never hurts. I do think our final game decides it for one or both of us
FightWildcatsFight

azcat49 wrote:So Utah ahead of the cats? That makes little sense to me if our offense stays healthy.

Oh well, greater motivation never hurts. I do think our final game decides it for one or both of us
Yep. I'm not buying the "it's a crapshoot" angle either because if it really was that unpredictable, Arizona wouldn't have been a unanimous #5 pick.

I hope the team sees this stuff and sees the popularity contest over at the pac12 site that is picking us #5 too, with ASU #1.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Arizona's never finished behind Utah since the Utes joined the conference. Why would a team with everything back from its Pac-12 South championship team start now?

The ESPN Blog writers obviously just watched the last two games and concluded the Cats were the suckiest, flukiest team ever to be considered for a national title game. :roll:

And how many times does ASU have to choke under greater expectations to teach these writers?

Gregg Doyel never even made a pick that ridiculous. Not falling for the clickbait.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Good...good....let the hate flow through us....every little bit of motivation helps.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Yup, out of all the years I expect Rich to finish worse than 4th in the south division, it would be this year.......
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well Oregon didn't think we could repeat our success against them either.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

P12 Media poll is out. Arizona is 4th in the south with USC (32), ASSu (7), and UCLA (6) ahead of them and all seeing some first place votes.

PAC-12 TITLE GAME CHAMPION: USC (21 votes)

Others receiving votes: Oregon (17), Arizona State (3), UCLA (2), Stanford (1)
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I suppose SC's talent level will eventually surpass Sark's coaching ability
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Larry Scott's opening remarks: Blah, blah, blah,
for the first time this year fans in stadiums will be able to watch the replays while plays are being reviewed,
blah, blah, blah
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

No news on how the ATT purchase of Direct TV will effect the P12 Network, but Larry is optimistic.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Is THAT all he had to say?

Who the hell lets this man keep his job?

I should've booed him out of the MGM Grand Garden Arena, not stopped for breath.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

For me, that was all the news in Scott's opening remarks. To his credit he used a lot of buzz words and was great at keeping his fingertips together.

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good talk by Scott with the media guys on the head of officials. Media guys loved the hire of David Colemon as the full time head of officials. Scott said they were going to have more transparency with their officials including having Colemon on the P12 network explaining any officiating issues.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah, that should be hilarious, especially explaining charging and non-traveling calls at ASU. He may sound one level above Gary Payton at best.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

This is for Stoops lover uacats, wherever he is:

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

President of the P12 Network just told me that you are able to watch the P12 network anywhere in the world and that allows their viewers to rush the field on line. So what are you guys bitchin' about not being able to get the network?

She did it all with very practiced, media tested hand motions and left immediately, not taking any questions. If you are really proud of your network and its global reach you stand there and take questions. This gal, not so much.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

for the president of a TV network, she didn't look comfortable talking. It wasn't like it was a packed room.

How can we "rush the field on line?"
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
FightWildcatsFight

Coach Rod's interviews went well. There wasn't anything revealing about football, it was mostly just cracking jokes. He says he will open the playbook more for Anu this season but nothing was said that wasn't already known.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I thought it was interesting that Coach Rod mentioned that in one game they passed the ball 71 times, but 42 of those plays were run plays, but the defense showed the numbers to pass.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

OSUCat wrote:I thought it was interesting that Coach Rod mentioned that in one game they passed the ball 71 times, but 42 of those plays were run plays, but the defense showed the numbers to pass.
It's my understanding that just about every play in the book is run/pass.
FightWildcatsFight

OSUCat wrote:I thought it was interesting that Coach Rod mentioned that in one game they passed the ball 71 times, but 42 of those plays were run plays, but the defense showed the numbers to pass.
Kinda like this:

Gotta watch the ineligible man downfield penalties though, especially since the NCAA is emphasizing that this year.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... rules-2015
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Fox Sports with a story on Coach Rod winning media day. Even did Larry's job and made sure everyone knew this was the 100th Anniversary of the conference.

Here is the video where he sits down with the P12 talking heads on the outside stage.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just love RR. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. We are very lucky. I think this year our offense does some incredible things