38 Anthony Mariscal

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

38 Anthony Mariscal

Post by ANGCatFan »

38 is another open roster spot, so here is another new player.

Mariscal is a 6-0, 192, Freshman safety from Liberty HS, Bakersfield, CA. His Senior year Mariscal was the All-Area Player of the Year and the Southwest Yosemite League Offensive POY while rushing for 1,252 yards and making 74 tackles and 2 forced fumbles on defense. He was selected to the West Coast Bowl and a PrepStar All-West Region selection, but my favorite honor for Mariscal was he was the team MVP for all 4 years of high school.

Here is the Arizona Desert Storm signing day evaluation of Mariscal;
It's Mariscal's defense, though, that will be the focus at Arizona. Mariscal is a big defensive back with the potential to succeed at either corner or safety. He is an effective run defender who can make tackles in the open field. And with his size and nose for the ball, some are already comparing him to former Arizona safety Jared Tevis:
Coach's evaluation:
“He is a very tenacious, competitive, hard-working young man. He is the type that is willing to put in all on the line for his football family and teammates. I believe undoubtedly that he will bring a lot of tenacity to Arizona football.” – Liberty HS Coach Bryan Nixon

“He was player of the year up in Bakersfield. He’s an excellent hitter, has good speed, ran a 10.8 100 meters as a junior in high school. He’s very aggressive and we have high hopes for him.” – UA Coach Bill Kirelawich

38 is the Arizona record for rushing average in a game. In 1954, against New Mexico St., Art Luppino rushed 6 times for 228 yards. I'm fairly confident this is an offensive record that is going to stand for a long time.
ANGCatFan

Re: 38 Anthony Mariscal

Post by ANGCatFan »

NO. 38

UA caps 8-1-1 season by overpowering ASU 22-13 in Tempe

SCORE: Arizona Wildcats 22, ASU Sun Devils 13

DATE: Nov. 25, 1961
AST's 38 specials of knowledge with Kelvin Eafon, Art Luppino, and Max Zendejas.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Excited about this guy's potential. Think if he "loves" football he could be a big future contributor.

I'd compare him more to a Will Parks than Tevis. Mariscal like Tevis and Parks ran HS track. Coming out of HS, Mariscal much-much faster than Tevis was in 100m, 200m, 400m. Mariscal might be little faster than Parks was coming out of HS.

Mariscal closer to Parks current build.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Either way. If I have a chance to have another Tevis or Parks on the field I'll take it.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

AZ Desert Storm: 38 days, Jared Tevis stays home to lift program to new heights

Good article by Jason Bartel on what Tucson good Jared Tevis has meant to the Wildcats. Not mentioned in the article is that as Tevis rose from walk-on to starter to star, he took former 4 star recruit Adam Hall's position.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Whatever happened to Adam Hall? I recall after his 2nd ACL tear that he left the team due to poor communication with RR and staff. That he had a year left to play somewhere.
Fendicent4ever

Post by Fendicent4ever »

IIRC Adam spent his final season of eligibility posting weird conspiracy theories on Facebook. No NAU, UNM, anywhere really. All while Uacats lamented that his talent wasn't properly utilized. Sad ending.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

He was so negative and going off all the time on facebook that I unfriended him. I know several of his friends and I don't think they associate with him any more.