33 Scooby Wright III

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: 33 Scooby Wright III

Post by Merkin »

Scooby said he felt his knee was even stronger than before the injury. Didn't read the article but I don't think he mentioned that.

Scooby was just a bit out of game shape, and with a bum knee he had over compensate on his other leg which is pretty typical.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

I've talked to Scooby's dad twice in the past four days -- once before the game and again yesterday after we found out about Scooby's new injury.

At neither time did Phil Wright express concern that the coaches were rushing Scooby back and, trust me, the family knows exactly what is at stake here. The family felt the knee was 100 percent -- and it still is. Papa Scoob called the new injury "just a freak thing." Neither he or Scooby (from he told his dad) thinks the new injury is the result of any "over-compensation." It's football. Injuries happen.

As far as I can tell, based on info from Phil, Scooby hurt the foot late in the third quarter. At that point, maybe the damage was done, but Scooby, in my opinion, erred in trying to play through the injury and not telling the coaches.

For more info on, check out my story at tucsonnewsnow.com
Last edited by Gimino on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Futhermore, does this sound like a dad who thought RichRod and the medical staff were playing fast and loose with his son?

"It's first-class," Philip said of the Lowell-Stevens Football Facility. "Everything in that training room, and the doctors, were awesome. I knew they were taking care of him."
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thank you AG. Really appreciate you dropping in and giving us that info.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Chief will find something wrong. We didn't recruit enough high level staff people to evaluate his injury.

Thanks AG
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

AG,

Heard you say this on 1290 today and was going to post something much less eloquent here.

Thanks.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Chief will find something wrong. We didn't recruit enough high level staff people to evaluate his injury.

Thanks AG

Good one buddy. See if I ever invite you again to meet Lance Briggs and all the ex Cat football players. :lol:
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well I wouldn't come if all you did was speak negatively about our program. You were so much more knowledgabe when you showed balance in what is good and bad.

Now we lose and it's all bad and while not saying it you incite the masses that maybe we should put RR on notice
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Well I wouldn't come if all you did was speak negatively about our program. You were so much more knowledgabe when you showed balance in what is good and bad.

Now we lose and it's all bad and while not saying it you incite the masses that maybe we should put RR on notice

I've gotten into with ex Cat football players. It's not all negative buddy but I look at things differently than some. I hold back in this board a lot cause I am more of an X and Os and recruiting guy. Some guys just hate to hear a counter point. But those are the ones who fall the hardest when the truth reveals itself. RR is a good coach but he has made some big mistakes. He's trying to dig out of it. His coaching abilities will be tested to the brim this season. Let's see how he rises to the challenge.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

You said the same last year about RR coaching abilities being challenged and then we rang up 10 wins with a banner and you never came back to give credit where credit was due.

Look alot of us can agree that the 3-3-5 sucks but RR is loyal to Casteel so he comes with the package. I am sure more than one ex cat deensive p.Ayer has told you the scheme sucks.

As for recruiting he has done better than any coach we have had probably since Larry Smith so not sure how anyone looks at that except when you lose you always need and want better players
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks AG, I appreciate you sharing the info here.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I can honestly say that I haven't been irritated at all by Rich Rod at all until this past Saturday.

I don't think he has ever and will never be careless with a player's health.

UCLA fucking pisses me off, why do they think it's okay to run out at the same time as our squad? They do it every time they come here. Is this something they do at other stadiums? It's a real cock sucking move.

Back to Rich Rod irritating me... Late in the game, when its basically been long over, and he feels the need to go all Mike Stoops on Jerrard Randall.. Poor form Rich, very poor form. That kid is giving you everything he's got, in shitty circumstances no less... He has no touch, he never will. Going berzerk on him at that point was just gross.

I hope someone like Bill Belichick(sp?) gets JR in camp and teaches him how to return kicks,take handoffs, and or catch passes. Kid has world class speed (in the football sense).

We really need to start recruiting better on defense, the fact we have two starters (Wright III, and Parks) who are truly Pac-12 level defenders, and a bunch of backups starting, and a transplant in Neal god bless him. Is really annoying at this point. No depth, no size, not much speed... ouch... The 3-3-5 blows but I've come to accept it, I guess I have to. The recruiting doesn't have to though. I'm not of the thinking that our next class is going to fix this issue much. Of course we can talk about player development on that side of the ball all day too. Of course, Rich Rod will probably start the walk on anyways, lol amirite?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He does love him some walk ons. I really think kids hatecthst scheme and it mskes it easy for other recruiters to yse negative tactics about playing in such a holey scheme.

One would think though that LB'S and safeties would flock yo this defense. Stats galore to be had. My biggest question, why the belief in such a scheme? RR is a smart coach, he has to know defense pretty well at least.

Hopefully this Saturday we get it right and get off the field on third downs. If we can upset we get the 4 bottom feeders in a row argueably
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

azcat49 wrote:Look alot of us can agree that the 3-3-5 sucks but RR is loyal to Casteel so he comes with the package. I am sure more than one ex cat deensive p.Ayer has told you the scheme sucks.
azcat49 wrote:One would think though that LB'S and safeties would flock yo this defense. Stats galore to be had. My biggest question, why the belief in such a scheme? RR is a smart coach, he has to know defense pretty well at least.
Sure, RR likely loyal to Casteel as a person. Like many of his other assistants who he's had on his staff for years. Assistants loyal to RR.
But, the reminder is that RR is the one loyal to the 3-3-5. RR likes Casteel because Casteel an expert at it.

It was RR that wanted the 3-3-5. He started it the 2nd year at WV. Had CTG and Casteel run it as CO-DC's. Changed when the 2001 DC under RR "left". RR took his coaches on a tour to other schools that ran version of 3-3-5 and built in their own tweaks.

Without Casteel, RR took it to Michigan, "forced" a couple of his DC's there to implement it. Like Greg Robinson who never coached a 3-3-5 and failed. Robinson hinted at times he was not a fan. But it was RR.

Unless RR changes his defensive philosophy, and Casteel ever left, indications RR would still run the 3-3-5.

Guesses at RR 3-3-5 scheme belief:
- it's not common much like his offenses were back in the day. Different, unique, unpredictable harder to plan for. Just RR's overall philosophy at football.
-Attack the spread, including his own offenses that would have to attack it and learn/improve from it in practice (speed vs. speed, ath vs ath). Knew spread would grow in CFB
-Recruits offense heavy. Recruit heavy on "Athletes". Better chance to be able to convert to defense side of ball (DB, safeties) when/if needed.
-Fill field with speed (his philosophy), sideline to sideline and athletes.
-Confuse opponents offense blocking assignments (unpredictable)
-When you have good defensive depth, blitz from anywhere (athletes on the field, unpredictable). Harder for Opponents know where coming from
-Interchangeability and conditioning. Defensive adjustments in theory are fast, players (athletes) more interchangeable - players or interchange while on field. Need slightly less "depth" recruits on defense (take from offense depth, interchange if needed offense or defense, don't need big DLs or LBs, sometimes walk-ons will do based on what's needed in their roles) and can offer slightly more schollys on offense to fit bread and butter RR offense. Beat opponents by scoring more.

Unpredictable, interchangeable, blitz, athletes, fast, feed, build offense depth a bit more heavy. Lots of reasons that just fit RR philosophy on football. My guess. (not defending the 3-3-5 btw)

-
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:Back to Rich Rod irritating me... Late in the game, when its basically been long over, and he feels the need to go all Mike Stoops on Jerrard Randall.. Poor form Rich, very poor form. That kid is giving you everything he's got, in shitty circumstances no less... He has no touch, he never will. Going berzerk on him at that point was just gross.
I dont know, there's always a teaching moment when we turn it over on downs. Im trying to remember the exact play. Didn't he throw it when he could have just as easily ran it for 1st down/TD?
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Jefe wrote:
BibbysTowelDude wrote:Back to Rich Rod irritating me... Late in the game, when its basically been long over, and he feels the need to go all Mike Stoops on Jerrard Randall.. Poor form Rich, very poor form. That kid is giving you everything he's got, in shitty circumstances no less... He has no touch, he never will. Going berzerk on him at that point was just gross.
I dont know, there's always a teaching moment when we turn it over on downs. Im trying to remember the exact play. Didn't he throw it when he could have just as easily ran it for 1st down/TD?
That's just how he is though. Every moment is a teaching moment. During the UTSA game, in the final minute after the game was already in hand, Anu made a wrong read and coach was livid. Personally, I like the attention to detail. Applaud the kids for giving their all, sure but applaud the coaches for doing the same.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Kid throws a laser, hopefully he can get double or triple the completions next time. Teams wont know how to play him :lol:

OK back to Scoob. Too late for that redshirt now?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I think Scobby is gone, well at least I know he was for sure planning on leaving after this year before the season started. Maybe this injury causes him to return, have no insight into what he is thinking about there and now. Gut would tell me he would leave and pull a gronk on us with only two healthy seasons at Arizona
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Who's Scobby?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Newportcat wrote:I think Scobby is gone, well at least I know he was for sure planning on leaving after this year before the season started. Maybe this injury causes him to return, have no insight into what he is thinking about there and now. Gut would tell me he would leave and pull a gronk on us with only two healthy seasons at Arizona
His choice but if he wants to pull a Brandon Ashley go for it. 5th round pick at best if he leaves this year
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

This is pretty much an "if" question, but had this week been a bye week, would Scooby have played against UCLA?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I think so, if he was medically cleared. I'm sure he was chomping at the bit ever since starting his rehab. Guy just wants to play.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

MrBug708 wrote:This is pretty much an "if" question, but had this week been a bye week, would Scooby have played against UCLA?

Some very epic trolling with this post, Turd.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Fishclamps wrote:I think so, if he was medically cleared. I'm sure he was chomping at the bit ever since starting his rehab. Guy just wants to play.
Got it. I was reading another thread about the no bye and was thinking had he had a bye this week, would RichRod would have kept him sat for one more week, to get to the bye? It really doesn't matter since it was a "what if" question.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Thanks for the informative post and link to your article, Gimino
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

catinfl

Post by catinfl »

:( I miss you
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Scooby, Turituri and Ippolito. We're badly missing all three of them.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

azpenguin wrote:Scooby, Turituri and Ippolito. We're badly missing all three of them.
Seriously. And this D relies so heavily on the LBs.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

azpenguin wrote:Scooby, Turituri and Ippolito. We're badly missing all three of them.
This defense needs LB's to make plays and rotating 2nd and 3rd string guys isn't cutting it. Ippollitto was a big hit, but man it just hurts even more with all of these LB's injured.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Haven't heard too much on his status. Did hear RR say today on radio that Scooby could come back in a "few" weeks. (UDUB USC??). Made it sound it was still more than 2 more weeks.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I think he said a few weeks. These foot injuries are hard to predict how they'll heal, although he has had a little too much experience with them lately. He said Tyrell Johnson might play this week but Griffey is still out another week or two. Both foot injuries. Even when Scooby does come back I highly doubt he'll be anywhere near in game shape. I don't think there's much you can do conditioning-wise with a bad foot other than maybe pool work.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Who knows...
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

The one factor that I think could keep him from turning pro after this year is his draft position being affected by missing half the season. Where you're drafted matters quite a bit. The flip side is that he might want to get in the league before another injury happens. I have no inside info but I think that had to be a factor when Ashley went pro despite little hope of being drafted into the NBA; the foot injury easily could have made him decide to go make money as soon as he could, be it the NBA, European leagues, whatever. The first injury is tough but a second one could be catastrophic for a career.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Really couple ways to "logic" it out having his injuries. Assuming (big assumption) family and Scooby decided to shut it down last couple of weeks. Took a couple weeks off with cleanup meniscus surgery. Miss more than that for sprained ankle (if that what it is). Know it wasn't broken per RR.

Depends on the final draft position speculation. Could be Scooby comes back 3-4 games left in season, minimize time/games he could be re-injured (shut down), demonstrate he can put up the stats final games, see what the Draft position speculation is. If good enough, NFL peeps buy he is 100%, go from there. If late 1st or early to mid-2nd. Go.... Later than that, evaluate...
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

IIRC, the NFL now only gives draft grades of first round, second round, or no grade. If you're a first or second round lock, you get while the gettin's good. If they give you a no grade, then it's really murky.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

It's pretty simple really. Does Scooby have anything to gain by coming back next season? I would argue no. There is plenty of tape showing what he is capable of.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Scooby in an NFL draft is at best a late 2nd rounder and probably a 3rd rounder. Some people will hate to hear that but them's just the odds.

He's a tweener by NFL standards that has capitalized magnificently as he should have on the college scheme he operates in. That is not a knock on him, that's a huge kudo because he made himself a great college LB'r by profound hard work, grit, will-power and determination.

I would say he has a lot of Tedy Bruschi in him.

If he goes after this season, great. I hope all the best for Scooby, he's a winner. No need in beating your body to a pulp so everyone else around you can make millions.

Scooby's window of opportunity is small in today's game and there are no guarantees so take the leap if that window opens.
Last edited by Gladiator Cat on Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:It's pretty simple really. Does Scooby have anything to gain by coming back next season? I would argue no. There is plenty of tape showing what he is capable of.
A bachelor's degree and playing on a top 15-20 preseason team?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Scummy Dick Douglas

ASUHATER! wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:It's pretty simple really. Does Scooby have anything to gain by coming back next season? I would argue no. There is plenty of tape showing what he is capable of.
A bachelor's degree and playing on a top 15-20 preseason team?
You are looking at this through the eyes of a fan. Does another year in any way improve his draft stock? No. Again, there is plenty of film on Scooby. So coming back he risks another injury, plus racking up more hits to his body while not getting paid. He can always go back and finish school. The smart move is going pro and cashing in (regardless of where he is drafted).

Staying in school is the right move for the guys who are borderline at getting a shot in the league. Scooby will get a shot. That is not a question.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I know it was a terrible decision for Luck to stay and graduate. :lol:

I have one general problem with the "His draft stock wont improve with another season." Its the difference between physical attributes vs mental attributes. How many stars get drafted in the first round for their talents, but flame out due to mental/maturity issues? These could potentially be improved during that additional season but often disregarded.

I have no idea where Scooby sits on this scale (I would tend to believe the more mature side) but if he did stay I would expect a large insurance policy covered by the university. Oregon's Ifo Ekpre-Olomu recieved 3 million for his loss of value.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Scooby in an NFL draft is at best a late 2nd rounder and probably a 3rd rounder. Some people will hate to hear that but them's just the odds.

He's a tweener by NFL standards that has capitalized magnificently as he should have on the college scheme he operates in. That is not a knock on him, that's a huge kudo because he made himself a great college LB'r by profound hard work, grit, will-power and determination.

I would say he has a lot of Tedy Bruschi in him.

If he goes after this season, great. I hope all the best for Scooby, he's a winner. No need in beating your body to a pulp so everyone else around you can make millions.

Scooby's window of opportunity is small in today's game and there are no guarantees so take the leap if that window opens.
Exactly why I can see New England grabbing him. I would bet the house that TB will lobby for him. We shall see................
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I heard Jim Mora said there's more than enough film on Scooby and he should definitely go pro.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Scummy Dick Douglas

OSUCat wrote:I know it was a terrible decision for Luck to stay and graduate. :lol:

I have one general problem with the "His draft stock wont improve with another season." Its the difference between physical attributes vs mental attributes. How many stars get drafted in the first round for their talents, but flame out due to mental/maturity issues? These could potentially be improved during that additional season but often disregarded.

I have no idea where Scooby sits on this scale (I would tend to believe the more mature side) but if he did stay I would expect a large insurance policy covered by the university. Oregon's Ifo Ekpre-Olomu recieved 3 million for his loss of value.
And it was a great decision for Leinart and Hundley to stay another year? One thing you are not considering in your comparison to Luck is the position they play. Luck is not taking a beating on each and every play. He was going to be #1 overall regardless of when he turned pro. Scooby is basically hitting someone on almost every play. His style of play is going to wear on his body at a faster rate. Similar to a power running back, there is no upside to staying in college another year.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

He should go pro if he's a first or second round lock. Otherwise there's some thinking to do. Staying the extra year often works out badly for someone who is supposed to be in the top of the draft, but it's really really hard to make it in the NFL, so if you're not a first or second round grade then you have to do a risk/reward analysis. If the school can get him loss of value insurance, that might tilt the scales if he's not getting a draft grade. But again, he has to do what he has to do and the one thing that anyone can hope for is that he gets sound advice.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

PHXCATS wrote:
the real dill wrote:
Merkin wrote:Injury has to be season ending in order to get a medical redshirt.
Interesting decision. Show you are healthy for the draft by playing last couple weeks and/or bowl, or do you risk another injury by coming back?
Even if he plays well for Utah and Asu and the bowl game he is at best a 3rd rounder. He comes back one more year I think.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016_1.php" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
And it was a great decision for Leinart and Hundley to stay another year? One thing you are not considering in your comparison to Luck is the position they play. Luck is not taking a beating on each and every play. He was going to be #1 overall regardless of when he turned pro. Scooby is basically hitting someone on almost every play. His style of play is going to wear on his body at a faster rate. Similar to a power running back, there is no upside to staying in college another year.

Agree 100%, and why Ka'Deem made the right choice. I forgot what huge NFL bust it was, maybe Brian Bosworth, but when he retired some reporter asked him if he was going to miss football. Boz' response: "Would you miss running into a brick wall every day?"
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

azpenguin wrote:He should go pro if he's a first or second round lock. Otherwise there's some thinking to do. Staying the extra year often works out badly for someone who is supposed to be in the top of the draft, but it's really really hard to make it in the NFL, so if you're not a first or second round grade then you have to do a risk/reward analysis. If the school can get him loss of value insurance, that might tilt the scales if he's not getting a draft grade. But again, he has to do what he has to do and the one thing that anyone can hope for is that he gets sound advice.
like everyone else, i'd love to see scoob back in tucson next year but it's understandable how this season's injuries could spook him to the pros. it's also very difficult for players to collect on loss of value insurance policies, so i wonder if the UofA would spring for it, given scooby's draft projections. doesn't usc have a couple of players suing the school over denied claims?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

The loss of value insurance is becoming a hot topic. It's going to have to be more easily collectible if it's going to be seen as a viable benefit. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu did manage to collect on his this week, so there's that. We'll see what happens.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Think there's two that have collected on loss of value (Silas Redd) the other. Both as projected 1st rounders, then collected i believe . Think the way it works (not 100%) the student borrows against school fund for premiums that school pays. If ever used / collected, student repays full/partial premium costs.

Not sure precedent for Seniors and/or 1st round grades or not. Byrne has tweeted and discussed before some skepticism on insurance because of difficulty on collecting.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Scooby should come out this year so he can fall to Arizona and become the white, non-abusive, non-pothead Daryl Washington. He would be a hell of a fit in our defensive scheme.