Fall Camp 2016

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

HaCats

Fall Camp 2016

Post by HaCats »

Anyone know when Freshman report, first day of full drills will be etc.? Getting to that point in the Summer when I'm starting to get sick of the monotony of baseball, golf majors, tennis majors and Triple Crown races. Little League World Series in August is always about the point where I'm ready to jump off a cliff.
prh

Re: Fall Camp 2016

Post by prh »

I don't have any answers, but I am right there with you on the monotony of summer. My TV has been on Netflix instead of satellite almost entirely since the CWS ended.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

They typically make an announcement not too long beforehand. Last year it started on August 5th. I don't think we're more than three weeks away from the start of camp, that light at the end of the long offseason tunnel.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

well august 5th is in only 11 days. latest camp will start is 2 weeks from today. could even start next weekend
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

According to Michael Lev camp starts on Aug 4th.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Camp starts next week. Here's one of the things the guys have been doing to be ready.

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Figures. Exactly why DL recruiting matters. Grades take out one of the Cats' top recruits practically annually now.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Here's an article I wrote on how JUCO recruiting has been subpar and we need Magilore and Cruickshank to play well this year or were in trouble . (Completely forgot Tellas Jones and McCall in it but we need them to perform well too)
http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... ce=twitter" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:Here's an article I wrote on how JUCO recruiting has been subpar and we need Magilore and Cruickshank to play well this year or were in trouble . (Completely forgot Tellas Jones and McCall in it but we need them to perform well too)
http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... ce=twitter" target="_blank

Good article CFL. I think Poindexter, Cruickshank, and Magloire will change the momentum of the JUCOs for Arizona. I expect all three to have big seasons.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

And it begins. They're reporting today, and one month from today the season kicks off.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Who is all gonna be in Glendale
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

This guy!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I'll be there
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

More actual information in this 7 minutes than we have gotten all offseason. From AZDS.

Another interview.

First media interviews of the year. It is almost Christmas!

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I's gonna be there.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Wow. Those boys were respectful, but the old staff sounds like the GOP. Old, out of it, lacking in any sort of creativity or energy. Very telling.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

The season starts today! Lots of position battles and sweat. Hopefully, not any injuries.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Cody looks like he's 37.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

More interviews recorded by AZDS with some receivers. Griffey actually does talk about football once the fan boy reporters get over his time with dad at Cooperstown.

Sid

Post by Sid »

ANGCatFan wrote:More actual information in this 7 minutes than we have gotten all offseason. From AZDS.

Another interview.

First media interviews of the year. It is almost Christmas!

Thanks Ang!!!!!!

Those that are not optimistic that we will be very much improved on D need to listen carefully to what Bruno is saying.

Predictable. Not a word you want your defense to be associated with. I'm disgusted it took this long to make the change, but God damn I'm fired up to see these kids play under our new defensive staff.

BTFD!
ANGCatFan

1st Practice

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here are the free reports from the first practice. This is only 1 of 2 practices fully open to the media.

Takeaways from the Wildcats' first fall practice - AZDS

The splitting of first team reps between quarterbacks is real. Anu Solomon and Brandon Dawkins were the only two in red non-contact jerseys, and they were taking a pretty equal share of the snaps with the first and second team offensive lines.

If you want an early frontrunner for the starting center job, it’s Zach Hemmila

If you want a player on the defensive side of the ball that’s going to be a breakout-type guy, it’s corner Dane Cruikshank.

Cal transfer Michael Barton will make a significant impact at linebacker.

As far as receiver, the guy that stood out to me was Shawn Poindexter, and not just because he’s 6-foot-6.

Both Francisco Nelson and Jalen Cochran are listed as linebackers, but were going through all of the defensive line drills. Also mislisted is Paul Magloire, who is listed as a safety, but played linebacker.
David Kelly, Ch 13, with a video recap.

Michael Lev's recap for the Star.
Smith said the worst thing Solomon did last season was get hurt. It wasn’t his fault, obviously, but he doesn’t necessarily see it that way.

“I really just need to toughen up,” Solomon said. “I thought I could have pushed through those two concussions.”

Solomon has the edge in experience. Dawkins has the stronger arm. They’re close, on and off the field.

“They don’t like each other — they love each other,” Smith said.

So what will it come down to in the end?

“Execution,” Smith said. “A lot of times the guy who executes best is the guy who will play.”
Release from Arizona Athletics.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Picture day video hosted by Zach Werlinger. Pretty great!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Some guy named Gimino with a story on Samajie Grant. Some great stuff from Samajie and his post grad aspirations, but this really caught my eye:
"Everybody who is supposed to be so diehard Arizona fans were like, 'I don't think I will watch a game this season. I'm disgusted,'" Grant said.

"That doesn't make me feel good that they're saying it, but it does give me a huge chip on my shoulder. For everybody to not think anything of us, that is what we like. That is exactly what happened my sophomore year."
ANGCatFan

1st Practice

Post by ANGCatFan »

More notes from Michael Lev at the Star:
Remember what defensive lineman Luca Bruno said the other day about the defense moving around before the snap and throwing different looks at the offense? That was readily evident during 11-on-11 drills, and it was extremely effective. The defensive front generated consistent pressure, often forcing the quarterbacks to flee the pocket. Linebackers DeAndre’ Miller and Jake Matthews registered sacks. The defense “won” the practice by a score of 62-56. The offense, including UA coach Rich Rodriguez, did pushups afterward.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ANGCatFan wrote:Picture day video hosted by Zach Werlinger. Pretty great!
That was awesome. Nice work by Werlinger.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ANGCatFan

Practice 2

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here is the official release on the 2nd practice. Here is the only actual football news:
Play of the Day:
Freshman running back J.J. Taylor provided the biggest highlight on offense for the Wildcats on Friday. The Corona, Calif., native took a handoff from quarterback Brandon Dawkins during the team's 11-on-11 portion of the practice and sprinted up the middle for a 60-plus yard touchdown. Taylor was active throughout the practice, showcasing the speed that made him a highly recruited threat out of Centennial High School in California.
. . .
Amey welcomes back a healthy mix of veterans and newcomers on the line and has already been impressed with a pair of freshmen, Jalen Cochran and Francisco Nelson, as defensive ends.
Sid

Re: Practice 2

Post by Sid »

ANGCatFan wrote:Here is the official release on the 2nd practice. Here is the only actual football news:
Play of the Day:
Freshman running back J.J. Taylor provided the biggest highlight on offense for the Wildcats on Friday. The Corona, Calif., native took a handoff from quarterback Brandon Dawkins during the team's 11-on-11 portion of the practice and sprinted up the middle for a 60-plus yard touchdown. Taylor was active throughout the practice, showcasing the speed that made him a highly recruited threat out of Centennial High School in California.
. . .
Amey welcomes back a healthy mix of veterans and newcomers on the line and has already been impressed with a pair of freshmen, Jalen Cochran and Francisco Nelson, as defensive ends.
Redshirt him.

:lol:
ANGCatFan

Practice 2

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Practice 3 - First time in shoulder pads

Post by ANGCatFan »

From the official site:
Play of the Day: Werlinger to Cooper
Late in practice during the 11-on-11 portion, quarterback Zach Werlinger hooked up with freshman receiver Devaughn Cooper for the top play of practice. Werlinger found Cooper streaking across the middle and hit him for a sure first down. Cooper took it one step farther and got around the two defensive backs pursuing him for a touchdown. After catching it in the middle of the field, Cooper moved to the sideline to allude the defenders for the six points.
Some of the quick hits from Michael Lev of the Star:
Rodriguez continues to get in involved in special-teams drills. The team worked on kickoffs, kickoff returns and field goals during the open period. Kickoff returners included Tyrell Johnson, Shun Brown, Devaughn Cooper, Cam Denson, Samajie Grant, Nate Phillips, Darick Holmes Jr. and J.J. Taylor.

* Tight end Matt Morin is among the candidates to serve as Arizona’s holder. Morin, a redshirt junior, played quarterback in high school.

* Tight end Trevor Wood, who missed last season because of a shoulder injury, broke the UA tight end record for bench-press reps before the start of camp. Wood did 24 reps at 225 pounds, tight ends coach Charlie Ragle said. Wood has been practicing after sitting out spring drills.
GoAzCats with a video interview with Coach Rod post practice.

Photo gallery at the official site.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I hate that nfl team as much as tempe st, but that is a pretty cool move.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Gilbertcat wrote:I hate that nfl team as much as tempe st, but that is a pretty cool move.
Any particular reason you hate the only well run professional team in the state of Arizona?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:I hate that nfl team as much as tempe st, but that is a pretty cool move.
Any particular reason you hate the only well run professional team in the state of Arizona?
The Rattlers disagree with this statement.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I am going to derail this thread. Not a fan of the nfl. But from calling every game a "sell-out" (despite open seats and ending every announcement with "we sold out but great seats are still available") to having their "star" pretend to be a nice guy. Again, throwing flames on the fans here but I did go to NAU for my graduate degree and ran into good oe Larry several times during the summer. I wasn't surprised when it came out that he beat up on a woman in 09. I was more surprised that it wasn't covered locally since they rather talk about a 5th string wr over any other news.

They way they tried to mess over Flagstaff was another nail and I wasnt surprised that Glendale has had such a fun time in dealing with them. I could go on but that tops the list.

Go Cats!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Team heads to the Fort on Friday for Sat practice and time with the soldiers.
FORT HUACHUCA — In an annual, preseason tradition, the University of Arizona Wildcats return to Fort Huachuca Friday night for some football and time with soldiers.

The team will practice Saturday at 9:30 a.m. on Warrior/Sentinel Field. The practice is not open to the public.

That night the team will dine with the fort's military personnel at 6 p.m. at the Thunder Mountain Activity Centre. Maj. Gen. John Baker, commanding general of the Network Enterprise Technology Command is scheduled to be the guest speaker.

The team will leave Fort Huachuca Sunday morning.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Article in the Sierra Vista paper on the practice at the Fort.
Toward the end of the session, while simulating drills, the offense and defense set up the pressure of a game situation in which the offense trailed by three points with one minute left on the clock, one timeout remaining, and the ball at the offense’s own 40-yard line.

Junior Anu Solomon and sophomore Brandon Dawkins had spent the morning splitting reps while wearing the quarterback red jerseys. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Solomon threw for 2,655 yards, 20 touchdowns and just five picks as last year’s starter, and was up first.

On second down, Solomon rolled to his right and threw the ball away in a broken play that took just three seconds off the clock. On third down, he rolled right again under some fierce pressure from the defense and spiked the ball to stop the clock. By fourth down, the pocket collapsed around Solomon, who was “sacked,” although the defense held up actually sacking him in the practice condition while forcing the offense off the field.

Dawkins (6-3, 210) was up next under the same simulated situation.

On first down, Dawkins used a terrific fake pitch to keep the ball and juke forward for a big rushing gain. Later in the series he threw a beautiful ball down the left sideline to streaking senior wideout Samajie Grant who hauled it in over his shoulder and reached the end zone.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Anu better start becoming a threat to run left out of the pocket or he's going to find Dawkins right over his shoulder.

Solomon was undoubtedly Arizona's best option until the concussions. Then he got run-shy and gave defenses the left half of the field out of fear of rolling out that way.

Willie Tuitama was the same way until he scored the go-ahead TD over BYU in the Vegas Bowl on a bootleg. The aftereffects of head injuries in football often never go away.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

From the official site on Monday morning's practice:
Play of the Day: Taylor busts through the middle
During the rookie scrimmage portion of Monday's practice, freshman running back J.J. Taylor once again found himself in the spotlight. Taylor, a true freshman from Corona, California, took a handoff from quarterback Khalil Tate and used his speed and quick feet to bust through the defensive line. Once he had some room, Taylor outran the rest of the defense and took his carry in for a long touchdown run. Honorable mention honors here go to cornerback DaVonte' Neal, who had a diving interception during the 11-on-11 portion of practice.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Not much in the official site report from Tuesday's AM practice, but there was this:
Play of the Day: Cooper Comes Through With the Grab
Devaughn Cooper, a freshman from Los Angeles, has been active all camp out of his slot receiver position. In Tuesday morning's practice, Cooper hauled in a pass from Brandon Dawkins that earned play of the day honors. During 1-on-1s, Cooper, sprinted down the field, before breaking toward the sideline. It looked like Dawkins' pass might be too far for Cooper, but the freshman stayed with it, got under it and hauled it in, while still staying in bounds.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gimino with a camp update.
I asked coach Rich Rodriguez last Friday about the progress of former four-star linebackers Jamardre Cobb and Marquis Ware.

"They're not on the two-deep," Rodriguez said.

And, now, Cobb isn't even on defense.

Cobb did some good work as a blocking fullback last season before moving back to linebacker in the spring. Cobb, who began fall camp dealing with a minor injury, is back on offense.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I'm headed to media day Sunday and I'm interviewing JJ Taylor, Trevor Wood, McCall, and Zellers if you guys have any questions for them let me know.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

I'd love to know how the defensive positions are named?
Also, who are the leaders for each unit? For JJ, what have the coaches been emphasizing most to him? For Wood, how many catches do the tight ends as a unit expect to make? Who is fastest among the tight ends and who is the best blocker? Finally, for Zellers, what is his actual weight?