Grambling St vs Arizona Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Grambling St vs Arizona Discussion

Post by scumdevils86 »

Band should be cool.

Grambling won their first game 72-12...over the Virginia University of Lynchburg. Which has has 205 students and competes in the USCAA, a sub NAIA level.

Discuss.
dirtbags

Re: Grambling St vs Arizona Discussion

Post by dirtbags »

my only comment is that Virginia University of Lynchburg, VA has the best school acronym ever.

hi, i'm 12 years old.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dirtbags wrote:my only comment is that Virginia University of Lynchburg, VA has the best school acronym ever.
They should put that on a coffee mug.

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

dirtbags wrote:my only comment is that Virginia University of Lynchburg, VA has the best school acronym ever.

hi, i'm 12 years old.
:lol:
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Anu is going to have a lights out game, because it is Grambling State. Dawkins will come out in the last two series and run in two TDs. RR/Anu fans will jump to the forums to say "I told you so". The RR/Anu skeptics will respond with "it's Grambling State."
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Is it too early to start calling for basketball season to "just get here, already"?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

RichardCranium wrote:Is it too early to start calling for basketball season to "just get here, already"?

Just wait until the clock expires in the Washington game............I predict you will have a lot of folks calling for
basketball season to get here.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Might sound crazy but after last year candidly feel like "When does Baseball season start"

I don't think the Washington game will be the breaking point as we do play well at home usually. I still think we lose that game but might be closer then people think. However we are going to get curb stomped at UCLA the following week. That just seems like Stanford game last year where Wheels come off and everyone realizes the season is over already.

Pathetic its year 5 under Rich Rod, its the beginning of September, and we are asking about when does basketball season start
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Newportcat wrote:Might sound crazy but after last year candidly feel like "When does Baseball season start"

I don't think the Washington game will be the breaking point as we do play well at home usually. I still think we lose that game but might be closer then people think. However we are going to get curb stomped at UCLA the following week. That just seems like Stanford game last year where Wheels come off and everyone realizes the season is over already.

Pathetic its year 5 under Rich Rod, its the beginning of September, and we are asking about when does basketball season start

lol, I already had these thought during the 3 quarter of Sat's game.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

"at least our offense will be rested"
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Bam! Look at that. We're awesome again
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:

There were few cares in the area, the report said

Glad they cared so much to investigate.

$5K bail must mean the offenses are pretty minor.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

whatisee wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Bam! Look at that. We're awesome again
So what happens if Anu can't even get the offense to score 46?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Looks like BD might get to start....so we'll see if grass is greener on the other side...not really an apples to apples comparison but we'll see if his passes are accurate and get to assess his decision making.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Crap, there goes my RAP.

But good to see Dawkins finally. I wonder if the knee injury is really as serious to make him questionable, or just RR talk to give Dawkins some snaps.

Bring back the grass!

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

But it questionable thou. At some point in the next few days were going to see number 12 on the field instead of number 13. But I do hope that Dawkins get the nod in this game so we can see where this team identity is at.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Expect Dawkins to get a couple of weeks at least at QB1...

RichRod is notorious with his injury reports shading things to the "questionable" side. This is no different.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

There seems to be a real lack of freaking out about this (surely based on our first game and Anu's play).....and also information about what happened yesterday. I am definitely ready to see Dawkins play but don't want to be down one qb and one more injury from Werlinger time.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Merkin wrote:Bring back the grass!

*thumbs up emoji*
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

*****ALERT*****CONSPIRACY THEORY*****ALERT*****

Anu isn't hurt, It's just a front story to get Dawkins in a game.

*****ALERT*****CONSPIRACY THEORY*****ALERT*****

:mrgreen:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I had concussion in the Anu injury pool. Guess I lost.
-JB
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I bet he doesn't play. Let him get healthy. Dawkins gets a big lead and Werlinger plays out the string.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Newportcat wrote: Pathetic its year 5 under Rich Rod, its the beginning of September, and we are asking about when does basketball season start
I know this is your board persona and nothing is ever going to change, but...

This "year 5" milestone bullshit is just that. Year 3 happened out of order so it doesn't matter?

The wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth and wailing "but it is YEARRRRRR FIIIIIIVVVEEEE....this is the required breakout year for a program" is lame.

Can't anyone ever just use context to tell a story? It's like the bitching and whining about the Elite Eight on the basketball side. How dare we not take that one round step that is only deemed to be special because of how the rounds fall, with that being the last weekend? How dare the program only make it to a level where we are among the eight best programs in the country 3 out of 5 years, including a trip to that level in year 2 that included a blowout win over Duke as a 5 seed? None of that matters because lalalalalalalFINALFOURlalalalalalala... It is a stupid way to approach any measure of success. Our basketball program under Sean Miller has been very successful with last season standing out as the one outlier. We went from Nic Wise and ISureHopeTimFloydGetsCannedAndWeGetUSCsClass looking up from a crater to a program that regularly competes for a title and is consistently among the national elite. Last year was a real jolt, and also something that happens to programs in the one and done era. But prior to that, the worst "upset" we had suffered was losing as a 1 seed to a 2 seed. In 2 of those 3 Elite Eights, we progressed as far or farther than the seed would indicate, and one of them, we lost to a 2 seed as a 1. How is that failure?

It's like the absolutely asinine narrative that Sean Miller has failed as a recruiter prior to Ayton because he never got his top target. Never mind his top target was often the top target in the country and we were in the mix until the end. Never mind we still sign top 5 classes every fucking year. No...we have to eschew all context and create Trump-level cognitively dissonant narratives like "because we didn't sign the #1 player in the country, we have failed."

And then to this. Again, context. What did RichRod take over? And what has he done? In year 3, he got us to a PAC 12 South title and a spot in the PAC 12 title game. Yeah, we lost the game, badly. That doesn't change the context. Nor is it a minor fact that we played an elite team in Oregon whom we had beaten the last two games, including boat racing them in Tucson with something called BJ Denker at QB. We had, in that season, gone up to Eugene, one of the most difficult places to play in the country, and won. We won 10 games, lost the Fiesta Bowl when our stud freshman RB left the game with a concussion and our freshman QB had a brainfart. So year 3 we won 10 games. To the "must fit narrative without context, check off generic list of milestones" crowd, everything would be find if we had done that this year, and won 7 games in 2014. Because everyone knows YOU HAVE TO BE AWESOME IN YEAR 5!!!!!!!!!!

We got better every year for 3 years, had a disastrous year 4 where our All American and roughly 93 other backups at his position alone were either injured or killed on the field. Turning off the hyperbole, we started what? 21 different players on defense? We struggled...to an 8-5 record. Just awful. How dare he? Didn't RichRod realize this year is year 5???

You want blame and mistakes? There is some very realistic blame to put on RichRod. He was too loyal to a longtime assistant who has performed very well in the past. Jeff Casteel is a great in-game coordinator. But the recruiting game had passed him by. While he put together good enough defensive efficiency teams in the first 3 years, he couldn't X and O his way out of a lack of depth in 2015. And when RichRod realized the side of the ball he was not super in tune with had slipped, he went to his good friend and...fired him. He tried to come short of that, but Casteel refused to retool his staff, so his good friend fired him.

So there is the big mistake on RichRod's part. He remained too loyal to his long time, successful, assistant, and didn't diagnose the problem in time to keep us from feeling it. So now we are feeling the result of his mistake for a couple of years.

But he did address it. He went out and hired a young, eager staff that fit our budget. We saw that the automatic response of "Black Coaches = They Must Be Recruiters Only" might be so much bullshit as our defense played better than anticipated last week. And we have a QB that maybe has taken one too many head shots, and is reluctant to run out of the spread. Same QB that was excellent as a freshman. I doubt Rich Rod actually found a way to make him worse, so here we are. Now Anu is hurt, we get to see Dawkins, and we know there is talent at the QB position in the near future. We also know the 2017 class is shaping up to be a really good one.

So what do you want? What is the point of being such a shit about RichRod? What, beyond the mistake he saw and fixed, do you have against him? Other than Year 5 Obsession. In context with our program, our history, our first 4 years with RichRod, and the market out there...WHAT THE FUCK IS THE ACTUAL PROBLEM? If people want to ask about basketball in September, that's their issue. It will come, and they will bitch about that, too, because Sean Miller has only delivered the 7th best player and the 3rd best class and only got us to the Elite Eight 3 of 5 years while losing a one and done every year and recruiting over the top of that. And then, we could go on another baseball run, and the same idiots will bitch about an early innings bunt...

So when is it ever OK? Alabama sells gear online...it's easy to become a fan.