Scooby

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

tgrumpy2

Scooby

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I saw that Scooby Wright was waived to make room for another quarterback. I understand that if he clears waivers they may try to sign him to their developmental team. So any second thoughts from anyone on whether or not he should have stayed in school?
azpenguin

Re: Scooby

Post by azpenguin »

If you had been in his spot, just having gone through two injuries in a year, would you have stayed, or would you have taken your shot before something else happened? There was plenty of tape on him and staying wouldn't change his measurables. Arizona could definitely use him, but he made the best choice he could under the circumstances he had in front of him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azpenguin wrote:If you had been in his spot, just having gone through two injuries in a year, would you have stayed, or would you have taken your shot before something else happened? There was plenty of tape on him and staying wouldn't change his measurables. Arizona could definitely use him, but he made the best choice he could under the circumstances he had in front of him.
Yep. NFL teams would have concerns based off his size, strength and speed, not his on field production. Another year would have made no difference in the things that would hold him back.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I disagree, I think staying another year had the potential to boost him up the draft boards thus making him a hell of a lot more money. Coming into last season he was widely viewed as a 2nd round pick and the only thing that changed was his health. Scooby only got $60K guranteed when signing with the Browns, a college degree alone is worth way more than that IMO, regardless of the fact he at worst could have got the same amount in next years draft.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

He can always finish his degree. If he'd had another injury, though, he would have had no shot. The "another year will boost their chances" thing often doesn't play out. (Some people think he's not going to clear waivers; other teams are interested.)
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Not to just be the "in the middle" guy, but, yes, definitely, another year could have helped Scooby tremendously if he had played like his sophomore year. He would have been drafted higher if he had been able to come out after 2014.

But there is no guarantee he would have had a Sophomore like season either in health or with increased focus of the offense. And, ultimately, his success in the NFL or lack of will come from his skill set. Perhaps being a 4th round pick with some more money paid makes the Browns cut someone else to make one roster spot for a QB, but it wouldn't have gotten him on the field any quicker.

His disastrous measureables at the combine would have knocked him down from the high perch he was on following 2014, but if he wasn't coming off a lost season with injury questions, he undoubtedly would have been drafted closer to the projections that endured even to draft day. He would have been a 3rd or 4th round pick and been more likely to hang around through emergency situation cuts, but not play.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:I disagree, I think staying another year had the potential to boost him up the draft boards thus making him a hell of a lot more money. Coming into last season he was widely viewed as a 2nd round pick and the only thing that changed was his health. Scooby only got $60K guranteed when signing with the Browns, a college degree alone is worth way more than that IMO, regardless of the fact he at worst could have got the same amount in next years draft.
I think you're assuming the year would have gone well. Injury issues, they don't always go well. I think the 2nd round was always a bit of a mirage, and it was based on Scooby's historic production as a soph. I think it's unlikely he would have equaled that production this year.

If he had another injury, he probably would have zero guaranteed money as a UDFA.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I'm with Gronk and EvCat on this. I don't think he was ever really a second round pick but his lack of exposure that last year certainly hurt his draft prospects. You can get hurt in the pros probably a lot easier than college so that argument about what if he stayed and got hurt again doesn't hold water for me. Once you make the jump to the NFL, you can't go back, Its either make it or go home. Staying another year would have kept options open and certainly he would have refreshed the scout's memory as to who he is. Even if he had gotten hurt again in college he had time to get over that one as well and still would have had options but not now. By the way, that 60K of bonus money he got, he had to pay his agent back 35K for the money he was fronted. Unless some other team picks him up, he got enough to buy a new car.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

He's getting $26,000 a week on the Browns practice squad right now.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Active today with the Cardinals, would be nice to see him get some playing time. Just let Scoob be Scoob
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gronk4heisman wrote:I disagree, I think staying another year had the potential to boost him up the draft boards thus making him a hell of a lot more money. Coming into last season he was widely viewed as a 2nd round pick and the only thing that changed was his health. Scooby only got $60K guranteed when signing with the Browns, a college degree alone is worth way more than that IMO, regardless of the fact he at worst could have got the same amount in next years draft.
Umm.. No it is not. He was a highly productive guy that was undersized coming out... and the other thing that changed was that he ran a 4.9 at the combine. Nothing trumps undersized and slow.

He was not going high in the draft regardless off when he came out, the NFL drafts on measurables and potential. On the flip side, look where Chris Henry was drafted.

I really hope he ultimately makes it... But despite what fans might like to believe, he was never going to be drafted high based on his (lack of) size and speed.

Charlie Ward had a helluva productive senior year at FSU years ago and won the Heisman. He went undrafted.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Umm.. No it is not. He was a highly productive guy that was undersized coming out... and the other thing that changed was that he ran a 4.9 at the combine. Nothing trumps undersized and slow.

He was not going high in the draft regardless off when he came out, the NFL drafts on measurables and potential. On the flip side, look where Chris Henry was drafted.

I really hope he ultimately makes it... But despite what fans might like to believe, he was never going to be drafted high based on his (lack of) size and speed.

Charlie Ward had a helluva productive senior year at FSU years ago and won the Heisman. He went undrafted.

Harvey I certainly agree that he was never going to go very high in the draft. I think the people that told him he was a potentially a first or second round pick should have been flogged. That was never going to happen. That being said I still think if he had stayed healthy his last year and been as productive as his sophomore year he would have gone at least a bit higher. At this point, what does it matter? He's on a team and trying to be relevant on that team and if he succeeds the rest just doesn't matter.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Practice squad maybe?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wasn't he 2nd on the depth chart at one point?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Scooby signed to Active roster from practice squad today!
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Chicat wrote:Wasn't he 2nd on the depth chart at one point?

The Cardinals have a number of injured linebackers which is why he was 2nd on the depth chart during preseason. More injuries so for now he's on the regular roster. Unless he really performs well he'll probably go back to the developmental squad once other linebackers heal up.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

azgreg wrote:
Nice azgreg, thanks!