Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Coach Sumlin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Get better soon Coach.

And the rest of y'all need to mask up and quit spreading the Rona.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:Get better soon Coach.

And the rest of y'all need to mask up and quit spreading the Rona.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Speedy recovery coach! If this doesn’t show we have to be the most snake bit program in the country, not sure what else would have to happen to prove that
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We'll see what happens.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I don't like this line of questioning...
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

DrWildcat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:12 am I don't like this line of questioning...
It does nothing.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Owners must be as drunk as Sumlin is.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Big question is do we as a university save any money with the income offset?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

They are definitely living up to the name Gamblers!
-JB
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Hopefully they know when to walk away and know when to run.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:24 pm Hopefully they know when to walk away and know when to run.
For the USFL, you want to say "fold em" in preparation for when the USFL folds.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:08 pm Big question is do we as a university save any money with the income offset?
My understanding is that Miller and Sumlin all signed contracts stating they must seek employment to mitigate damages.

Can't remember if it was due to RichRod, but I seem to think RichRod signed one too.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I think that leaque is where coaches go to die so let Sumlin go and we can be done with him
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Merkin wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:45 am Owners must be as drunk as Sumlin is.
I for one, am happy for the program wrecking bastard. Stay the hell away
from CFB.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:10 pm I think that leaque is where coaches go to die so let Sumlin go and we can be done with him
No recruiting, zero pressure, the distinct chance you can literally make a team cease to exist...it all sounds perfect for Sumlin.

Ideally for him, he gets paid, the league folds and he collects money for doing nothing.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:04 am
tgrumpy2 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:10 pm I think that leaque is where coaches go to die so let Sumlin go and we can be done with him
No recruiting, zero pressure, the distinct chance you can literally make a team cease to exist...it all sounds perfect for Sumlin.

Ideally for him, he gets paid, the league folds and he collects money for doing nothing.
Where the fuck do I sign up for that job???
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:41 am

Are you a generally recognizable name on the downside of his career? Every one of the USFL's hires is a "oh, that's where he is" hire where you recognize the name and also realize it's been years since he mattered.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:57 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:41 am

Are you a generally recognizable name on the downside of his career? Every one of the USFL's hires is a "oh, that's where he is" hire where you recognize the name and also realize it's been years since he mattered.
I'm on the downside of a lot of things. You want me to connect you with my wife?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

What ethnicity is N?
Last edited by 84Cat on Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

This is my shocked face.
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Where’s the SwagCopter when you need it?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

84Cat wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:10 pm What ethnicity is N?
Well, its either Negro or:

Numbskull
Nitwit
No-Brains
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Numbnuts
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

N apparently means non-hispanic, but the answers in this thread are much more accurate.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

Nice bump. Pretty funny to read the unbridled optimism on the first few pages of this thread.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Robert A Booey wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:22 am Nice bump. Pretty funny to read the unbridled optimism on the first few pages of this thread.
No shit huh? I know I was happy with the hire at the time. The worst Sumlin had been before AZ was average. Most attributed the SEC competition to how average he was there, so we gave him the benefit of the doubt(should have been a red flag). If anything our last 2 coaching hires prove why fans shouldn't pick coaches. Sumlin, who the fans loved, sucked. Fisch, who the fans hated, awesome(so far).
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Heck, I was excited when Mackovic was hired. Finally, an offensive minded coach after the staid Tomey years. Mackovic coached in the NFL, and was COY in 3 different NCAA conferences. Pretty impressive resume.

Never hire a head football coach who has been fired at previous universities. UA spent millions getting rid of RichRod and Sumlin. Maybe one player can make a difference on a football team. RichRod had Pat White at WVU, and Sumlin had Johnny Football at A&M.

Was going to say, never hire a football coach as head coach who has never been a head coach at any level, thinking of Stoops. But Fisch is changing minds.

Still prefer coaches from smaller programs. The UA's most successful programs were under coaches that came from smaller schools, Smith from Tulane and Tomey from Hawaii.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Arizona needs to hire coaches on their way up, not on their way back down from better positions. Smith was at Tulane before he stepped up to Arizona. Tomey at Hawaii, and this is Fisch's first full time head coaching job after 3 games as interim coach at UCLA. Coaches on their way down included Mackovic (down from Texas), RichRod (down from Michigan), and Sumlin (down from Texas A&M). Only RichRod had any success at Arizona, with the other two being total disasters. I think this was because RichRod felt he had something left to prove after only 3 seasons in Ann Arbor.

Jury is still out on Fisch. the recent coach not mentioned above is Stoops, who was a great hire that just wasn't the right fit as head coach. Built some great teams but his sideline demeanor and the way he treated assistants lead to issues. Fisch seems to build different, but we'll see if he can get over the 8 win hump that Stoops could not.

As for Sumlin, I was never happy with the hire. Nobody did less with more talent than what he had at TAMU. Put him in a place with less talent, and now he's doing less with less talent. Maybe had the recruiting picked up, we'd at least have a cupboard for the next guy, but the jury had already come back on Sumlin that he couldn't develop anyone, and the talent he got to College Station never materialized in Tucson.

Last, I hope Sumlin the man gets the help he needs before he hurts anyone, including himself.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

CopaCat wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:56 am
Robert A Booey wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:22 am Nice bump. Pretty funny to read the unbridled optimism on the first few pages of this thread.
No shit huh? I know I was happy with the hire at the time. The worst Sumlin had been before AZ was average. Most attributed the SEC competition to how average he was there, so we gave him the benefit of the doubt(should have been a red flag). If anything our last 2 coaching hires prove why fans shouldn't pick coaches. Sumlin, who the fans loved, sucked. Fisch, who the fans hated, awesome(so far).
Fisch has certainly done things to revitalize the program and has done alot to reach out to fans and former players. He also started at probably one of the lowest points for the program. That being said his record is virtually the same as Sumlin.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TheCat wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:44 pm
Fisch has certainly done things to revitalize the program and has done alot to reach out to fans and former players. He also started at probably one of the lowest points for the program. That being said his record is virtually the same as Sumlin.
But he’s spanking Sumlin 3-0 in offseasons.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I agree but that needs to translate to wins soon or he will be regarded as a snake oil salesman. I think it is going to happen but sooner is better.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I would say the Mackovic fiasco was the lowest point. RichRod was not fired due to on field performance. RichRod left Sumlin Khalil Tate and other good players. Similar to Sean Miller not leaving the cupboard bare for Tommy Lloyd.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

That 7-70 loss counts for at least 10 more losses in my book.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I refuse to remember that game, just like the Illini basketball game in 2005.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

The program seems to be coming around. Fisch stuck with JDL a bit to long, but I think he has finally made the winning decision there. Fisch destroys Sumlin by every other metric sans .BAC. I do think Fisch still needs to improve a bit as an in game coach, but overall seems like a home run improvement thus far. Being an Arizona Football fan causes me to temper my enthusiasm though, natural habit.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Merkin wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:02 pm I refuse to remember that game, just like the Illini basketball game in 2005.
I looked it up, AZ never played UI that year.