Jay Dobyns

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

tgrumpy2

Jay Dobyns

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Maybe this has been addressed in another post and I didn't see it. If it has just tell me. Jay is an honored UofA football alum. He was a fearless wide receiver and was voted the most badass wide receiver in our history. His post football days are pretty legendary as well.I have not seen where anyone from this staff has reached out to him. I know he's coaching high school football in Tucson. Maybe they have reached out and he wasn't interested but I've seen or heard nothing about it. Does anyone else have any information on this.
gronk4heisman

Re: Jay Dobyns

Post by gronk4heisman »

He has been at practices, reached out for what? A coaching position? We have a pretty solid coaching staff and a great WR and TE coach so I am not sure what spot you think he should be looked at for. We already have our two nepotism hires, and they have a much bigger resume on the football field.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Yeah. Jay was awesome. Especially before his senior year. He was an All American candidate going into his senior season and was just fearless and outstanding. Skinny kid who would make fingertip catches, get smashed, and come back for more.

Problem was, his senior year Jenkins became our starter and wouldn't throw to him. Horton was Jenkins roommate and Jenkins just wouldn't throw to Jay. A crime.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

That 1986 team was really good. Blowing that huge lead against UCLA still hurts. If they would have won that game, I really believe they would of made it to the Rose Bowl.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

My bad, Jay was not on the 1986 team. He graduated in '85.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:50 pm He has been at practices, reached out for what? A coaching position? We have a pretty solid coaching staff and a great WR and TE coach so I am not sure what spot you think he should be looked at for. We already have our two nepotism hires, and they have a much bigger resume on the football field.
No and I wasn't implying they reach out to him to offer him a coaching position. I hadn't heard his name mentioned and there are a lot of other UofA football alums that have been mentioned. I was thinking maybe some thoughtful Tucson sports writer reach out to him just for a comment. If they have I was not aware of it. I did not know he had been seen at practices. Did anyone mention it or did any sportswriter that may have been present mention it? I think I heard somewhere that Jay does some motivational speaking. Maybe reach out to him to speak to the team. He is a pretty intense guy.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »