4 Darryl Lewis

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

4 Darryl Lewis

Post by ANGCatFan »

Lewis began his Arizona career as the team's best all-around running back. Duane Akina convinced Coach Tomey and Lewis that he should switch to cornerback and it ended out okay - Lewis was a consensus All-American, won the Jim Thorpe Award, and was selected co-Defensive PAC-10 POY as a Senior. Lewis led the league his Senior year with 7 interceptions and was also 4th in punt returns. He famously had 2 decisive plays to win games as a Senior. Against UCLA he returned an interception for a TD in the final minute to put Arizona up 28-21. Also, on the final play of the game, Lewis knocked the Oregon QB out of bounds at the 1 yard line allowing Arizona to win 22-17. Lewis spent 10 years in the NFL with 32 interceptions and 5 for a TD.
azcat49

Re: 4 Darryl Lewis

Post by azcat49 »

One of the big three CB’s wit McAlister and Cason. Might have been the best

NFL YEARS DLew 10 CM 10 AC 8
Picks DLew 32 CM 26 AC 16
Def TD’s CM 7 DLew 5

Hard to pick the best of those three.but not sure Lewis gets enough respect
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I was thinking in terms of best position area ever in AZ FB history it would be pretty hard pressed not select the secondary. RB's 1A.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:46 am I was thinking in terms of best position area ever in AZ FB history it would be pretty hard pressed not select the secondary. RB's 1A.
QB probably the worst, at least at NFL success. Fortunately for us, Matt Scott was a practice player, not a gamer.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Merkin wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:03 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:46 am I was thinking in terms of best position area ever in AZ FB history it would be pretty hard pressed not select the secondary. RB's 1A.
QB probably the worst, at least at NFL success. Fortunately for us, Matt Scott was a practice player, not a gamer.
Yeah, not much success at QB, but that one Quarterback started and won a Superbowl and was also the MVP of the game. Guess that means we are batting 1.000. It's not quantity, but quality.

...someone ought to make a sports movie about Foles and his success.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

MountainCat wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:18 pm
Merkin wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:03 pm
Yeah, not much success at QB, but that one Quarterback started and won a Superbowl and was also the MVP of the game. Guess that means we are batting 1.000. It's not quantity, but quality.

...someone ought to make a sports movie about Foles and his success.

Also was MVP of a pro bowl and has the record for the greatest game in history by a NFL quarterback.

Not bad.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion