Alamo Bowl - Oklahoma

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

Re: Alamo Bowl - Oklahoma

Post by Irish27 »

With the players entering the transfer portal, these bowl games don't seem as important. I would rather have Oklahoma play with all their players who played this year.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Sucks but is what it is. Just make the playoffs next year
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

So if the Oklahoma QB had mentioned *before* the game that he wasn’t playing in the bowl game, would that have moved Oklahoma to a lower bowl game?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Irish27 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:30 pm With the players entering the transfer portal, these bowl games don't seem as important. I would rather have Oklahoma play with all their players who played this year.
Of course, but these bowl games are now set up almost as previews of next year. Staffs have to coach up these replacements so that they ball out and keep the momentum going into Spring ball, and then obviously into the next season.

For instance, the OU backup has every incentive to show the fans and media that he’s ready to take over and lead them to an awesome year. I expect that his coaches will tailor the game plan to his strengths and seek to protect him from whatever weaknesses he may have. Selfishly I hope he throws 6 picks and we stomp them.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:25 am
TheCatInTheHat wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:59 am
Ronnie Veal was definitely a better runner than passer.
Chuck Levy made Veal look like Joe Montana. Only had one pass attempt which was incomplete during a win against Oregon in 1993.

Tomey games like that brought in Mackovic since the fans really wanted an offensive minded coach.
LOL...very true! BUT...you have to admit Levy was very adept at one pass: the shovel pass. I remember him running that as the emergency QB against USC, and they still haven't figured it out.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cerec_cat wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:05 am This crap is ruining college football, and I can hardly stomach watching the pros
I agree. How can players transfer twice? Grad transfer?

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:41 pm
cerec_cat wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:05 am This crap is ruining college football, and I can hardly stomach watching the pros
I agree. How can players transfer twice? Grad transfer?

YES

Or special waivers
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

My friend was on campus kind of late one night, close to the stadium. He told me Veal hurled a rock and hit a stop sign, then replied" Good shot, huh?"
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hope we show no mercy on them. They don’t want to play well that’s their problem
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

From looking on an Oklahoma board, it seems that the Alamo Bowl is shit and below Sooner fan standards. So are the Arizona Wildcats.

According to Sooner fan, they are entitled to a January 1 bowl and in a no win situation by playing us : If they win, they of course should've beaten us because we suck. If they lose, it'll prove they aren't good enough to be in the SEC next year.

Let's beat the crap out of them.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Sooners don't want this and Arizona is treating this as their championship. I won't get big headed but i like our odds.
Mike Luke's burner account.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

We'll be a little short-handed, but not like their situation missing a 42 TD QB. I'm sure their backup is exceptional, but the experience factor is significant. I kind of doubt from a team mentality standpoint they'll circle the wagons and say "we'll show 'em" against Arizona in an Alamo Bowl. More like they fell short of their goals, their big guy is walking away from the bowl game, and let's pack up the boxes for this year and get ready for next year's challenge. They're not in a position to just show up and blow us out. Their options are to be focused and ready to go to war, or to shrug and try to big-time their way through it with their excuse in hand. Maybe those are the extremes and they'll be somewhere in-between, but I'd still rather be us. This would be right up Smith or Tomey's alley. Meanwhile, just as I'll be delighted by any and all Big Ten teams beating the LA schools, it'll be kind of the same thing with SEC teams and Texas and Oklahoma.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Most teams value bowl games more for the additional practices and player development than for the game itself - especially teams building for the next season. Sure, this level is a letdown for OU, given preseason hopes, but not that many will not play.

I’m sure Oklahoma has a lot of highly-rated players who’ll really relish the opportunity to fill in for absent stars, and will have ample motivation to demonstrate their value.

Its gonna be a tough game, IMNSHO.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Will be missed, but wish nothing but the best for him.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Merkin wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:59 pm Will be missed, but wish nothing but the best for him.
Since he’s already had an injury, I can’t blame him at all. That said, I hope Noah gets some extra insurance. Changing the OL chemistry is a tad scary. Best of luck in the draft! Represent!
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Merkin wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:59 pm Will be missed, but wish nothing but the best for him.
Is there any way in this universe to figure out who has decided to skip the game for the draft?

I'm not complaining that they have dropped out, only that there is absoulutely ZERO identification in the post as presented here.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

RichardCranium wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:10 pm
Is there any way in this universe to figure out who has decided to skip the game for the draft?

I'm not complaining that they have dropped out, only that there is absoulutely ZERO identification in the post as presented here.
Jordan Morgan
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Yeah I mean its posted by J Morgan and has #77 on the jersey :lol:
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Thank you for the name.

I don't know who wears what numbers. I don't have a score card.

There are three text strings in the post that look like they could be names.

How do I know which one is which?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

You can look up uniform numbers here:

https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/football/roster
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Spoke with Marc Acuna, Sr director of Alumni Relations yesterday and he said ticket sales were going “very very good”. That was nice to hear. Hopefully we sell out our allotment
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:21 am Spoke with Marc Acuna, Sr director of Alumni Relations yesterday and he said ticket sales were going “very very good”. That was nice to hear. Hopefully we sell out our allotment
Love Marc.....
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

84Cat wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:20 pm
We feast!
Mike Luke's burner account.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beginning next year, only the bowl games of the twelve teams selected by the CFP will be "real" - the rest will be the football equivalent of the NIT Basketball Tourney, (aka "also-rans")
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So what…to the causal fan they’ll just see brand names

Oklahoma good, arizona not as good.

So when the cats win, it makes us look good.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Considering the depths of where we came from a bowl win against “Oklahoma” would be huge.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:45 am Considering the depths of where we came from a bowl win against “Oklahoma” would be huge.
They also have more talent than us top to bottom so a win is a win.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

They have a team (especially on offense) that had the same star rating as TMAC. We are playing against players that were more highly rated out of high school. We have developed and given confidence to our guys and they convinced their more highly rated guys to attend and reap the benefits of a blue blood program. I know who I want next to me in a fight.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ESPN Plus with their prediction:

No one should want to play Arizona right now. Coach Jedd Fisch's team has won six straight games, including four against opponents ranked at the time. Oklahoma had a redemptive second season under coach Brent Venables, but clearly has more disappointment at not reaching the CFP or the New Year's Six. Opt-outs on the Sooners side could shape this matchup, as Arizona returns a lot for 2024, including standout freshman quarterback Noah Fifita, who had 2,515 passing yards and 23 touchdowns after taking over in Week 5. Arizona has outpaced all expectations this season, and finishes on a good note with a mini-upset.
Prediction: Arizona 37, Oklahoma 34
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I don’t think it will be that close really. I think 38-24

They have a lot of opt outs. They have lost their play caller OC and their fans think this year was a disappointment. I like our chances greatly to cover and win
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

National recognition that’s cool
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

TheCat wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:16 pm They have a team (especially on offense) that had the same star rating as TMAC. We are playing against players that were more highly rated out of high school. We have developed and given confidence to our guys and they convinced their more highly rated guys to attend and reap the benefits of a blue blood program. I know who I want next to me in a fight.
At this point it doesn't matter what their star rating out of high school was. It's about where are they now. I know we have two NFL wide receivers and an NFL tight end and possibly two running backs in Wiley and Coleman. Most of our offensive line are babies and already performing at a high level. I'll match ours up against theirs.
TheCatInTheHat

Oklahoma QB

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Who knows...maybe Brent Venables will play Dillon Gabriel, but I really doubt it. If they lost and Gabriel seemed tentative, there'd be a lot of heat that he'd checked out. Meanwhile, everything I've seen makes it a foregone conclusion that "The Jackson Arnold Era" is set to begin with the Alamo Bowl. From an interview I saw with him, he's taking the snaps and considers it prep for next year in the SEC, and Gabriel already wished him well and told him to have fun when he gets out on the field. I have no idea how you prepare for somebody who hasn't played, and with Oklahoma's OC Jeff Lebby taking the Mississippi St head job, Seth Litrell moves up. I'm sure the offense stays the same at this point, but it's trying to figure out the mix of plays that Arnold does best, versus what they did with Gabriel. Makes for an interesting story line for the bowl, among others.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Well, it might just be a little difficult to play Gabriel seeing as how he transferred to Oregon already :lol:
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Okay; my bad. There was a lot of discussion about who would play QB for them while it was well-known that he was going to enter the transfer portal and go to Oregon. I didn't see his verbal to Oregon on X on December 9, and certainly don't know all the nuances of the NCAA's 2023 rules on timing, submission of formal paperwork, and eligibility for graduates in a case like this in the transfer portal era.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

The stage is set...
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Looking sharp in those suits.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Carcassdragger wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:00 pm According to Sooner fan, they are entitled to a January 1 bowl and in a no win situation by playing us : If they win, they of course should've beaten us because we suck. If they lose, it'll prove they aren't good enough to be in the SEC next year.
Such a miserable bunch:

"...following the news that Cayden Green is transferring to Missouri, some Sooners fans took their dedication to the program to the next level, spamming the insurance agency owned by the offensive lineman’s father with one-star ratings on Google."

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

That’s sort of funny…
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sins of the parents are not the sins of the son. Probably going to cost them lots of money.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Someone tell me if I heard this wrong but I see that The Sooners backup QB that was supposed to start for the starting quarterback that is transferring has announced he is entering the transfer portal. Does that affect hm starting in the Alamo Bowl?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:23 am Someone tell me if I heard this wrong but I see that The Sooners backup QB that was supposed to start for the starting quarterback that is transferring has announced he is entering the transfer portal. Does that affect hm starting in the Alamo Bowl?
Not sure it makes any difference with stats like that. 339 yards in 15 games?

3rd string QB with the best name in the bowl, General Booty.

This guy is apparently still playing.

Sooners running back Tawee Walker previously announced his intention to enter the portal, but remains on the roster
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Merkin wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:32 am
tgrumpy2 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:23 am Someone tell me if I heard this wrong but I see that The Sooners backup QB that was supposed to start for the starting quarterback that is transferring has announced he is entering the transfer portal. Does that affect hm starting in the Alamo Bowl?
Not sure it makes any difference with stats like that. 339 yards in 15 games?

3rd string QB with the best name in the bowl, General Booty.

This guy is apparently still playing.

Sooners running back Tawee Walker previously announced his intention to enter the portal, but remains on the roster

Thank you Merkin. I saw the headline in my web browser and was doing something else and thought I'll get back to it. I went looking for it and couldn't find it.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

That’s not ideal.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

wyo-cat wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:17 pm
That’s not ideal.
He's not the one who is starting the Alamo Bowl.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Yeah Jackson Arnold is the freshman qb who's gonna start, no clue who that other guy is.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »