You know it is the offseason when . . .

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

We have articles on picking the top QB in the Coach Rod era.

Come on, we've only had 3 years.

That said, I'd take Anu only because I get to have him back the following year and the year after and maybe even the year after. A 4 year Anu is better than a 1 year Scott.

Dumb exercise, but it is Wildcat football and I will take anything in late June.
Merkin

Re: You know it is the offseason when . . .

Post by Merkin »

Solomon and Scott were too injured end of the season and it showed when they really played awful. Scott v. ASU is Alex Zendejas v. ASU worthy.

Solomon taking a sack to run out the clock v. BSU?

BJ Denker set UA records for most yards rushing in a game and in a season. He actually would get my vote.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Solomon and Scott were too injured end of the season and it showed when they really played awful. Scott v. ASU is Alex Zendejas v. ASU worthy.

BJ Denker set UA records for most yards rushing in a game and in a season. He actually would get my vote.
I'm in the minority here, but I think Denker did a fine job.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:
Merkin wrote:Solomon and Scott were too injured end of the season and it showed when they really played awful. Scott v. ASU is Alex Zendejas v. ASU worthy.

You and Machina.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
azgreg wrote:

You and Machina.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Wait...there are people out there that think denker wasn't good with what he had?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is it the QB, or is it the system?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:Is it the QB, or is it the system?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I'll go with system and dumb exercise after just 3 seasons and 3 different QBs. Whats "best" actually mean? (wins, yards, TDs, talent, school records etc)
Rich Rod has only had one QB ever NFL drafted as a QB.

I will go with coaching though. And the system. Staff can coach and are innovative and willing to adjust to QB skills.

2012 depleted Roster and inherits primarily a passer Matt Scott as QB and doubles AZs win total from 2011 (had KaDeem).
Gets eight wins with an HS player not recruited at all (D1, D2, D3) and can't really pass in Denker (had KaDeem).
Gets 10 wins with a RS Frosh in Solomon. Also primarily a passing QB (KaDeem-less).
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Ka'Deem Carey needs to be thrown into the equation too.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am just amazed at what RR has done. We have no all PAC guys for the most part. He starts three different guys and gets 3 bowls, a south title and a record number of wins in 3 years.

I saw what the one assistant from another school said, "I am not sure anyone got as much out of their roster as RR has". So true. This staff can flat out coach. I don't always like the schemes but they produce. Getting a guy like Denker who would not have played QB at all to put up those numbers is just amazing.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

azgreg wrote:

Sure he did a fine job. But I'd rather get a root canal than watch his noodle arm throw even one more lame duck. He also seemed like a me-first guy, and I'm never cool with that. Scott gets my vote despite the ASU performance. Dude was a warrior.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Well how about review these videos. I tried to find BJ Denker highlights and can't find them. I posted the Oregon Game highlights.

Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I think Denker overachieved and did a good job; I enjoyed watching him play for the most part.

I would have loved to see what RR could have done with Matt Scott if he had one more year with him. The 2013 team with Scott at QB could have been a monster.

But I'll still go with Solomon. Dude's a freshman and they won 10 games with him at the helm, and it wasn't in spite of him. He learned a lot and took some lumps. My thought immediately after the Fiesta Bowl was that the sack he took was a payment towards his future accomplishments. I'd rather have Arizona win that game, but if you send a guy with his skills into the offseason with that kind of a bad taste, good things will likely come of it. Judging from what I saw in the spring, he's going to make the jump and fill in the holes in his game.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Easy, Anu beat ASU and won P12 South.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Bleacher Report puts out a story on the most important asset for each top 25 program.

Great to see more mentions of Arizona in the dead of summer, but boy some of these sites reach for offseason stories.

20. Arizona: Rich Rodriguez

After a failed stint at Michigan, Rich Rodriguez landed at Arizona and quickly put his stamp on a Wildcats program that had stalled under former coach Mike Stoops. With his run-first, uptempo offense and an attacking defense, Rodriguez has the nation paying attention to the Wildcats again.

Running back Ka'Deem Carey flirted with 2,000-yard seasons in Rodriguez's first two seasons at Arizona, which both finished 8-5. Last year, the Wildcats achieved their second 10-win campaign in program history with a freshman quarterback, the nation's best defensive player and a Pac-12 South title.

Rodriguez has wasted no time in making Arizona a contender in the Pac-12. From creative movie spoofs in the preseason to having fans call plays in the spring game, Rodriguez's brand of football is fun to watch and has created plenty of excitement with players, fans and prospects.

Other key assets: LB Scooby Wright III, favorable location for recruits
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

. . writers at Bleacher Report sit around and dream about home and home series that need to happen.
Arizona vs. Michigan

Last played: 1978 (Michigan won, 21-17)

Why we want to see them play

Though he's yet to coach a real game, Jim Harbaugh has already been elevated to savior status in Michigan circles. That's a complete reversal from how Rich Rodriguez was welcomed in Ann Arbor when he was hired to succeed Lloyd Carr in 2008 but pretty close to how he's been viewed since coming to Arizona.

Rodriguez's records with the Wildcats the past three years as good or better than what Michigan had in Brady Hoke's final three seasons, with last year seeing Arizona reach the Fiesta Bowl and double the Wolverines' win total while Hoke was sent off. It was a set of circumstances that had to make Rodriguez smile, though he didn't say much publicly about the subject beyond generalities.

"You couldn't help but turn on the TV and see it," Rodriguez told ESPN's Ted Miller last fall.

Arizona's success under Rodriguez has prompted many to wonder if the school would ever let him exact revenge on his former employer with a home-and-home series. It hasn't happened yet, but then again the Wildcats haven't done much of any power-opponent scheduling, only recently adding series with Texas Tech (beginning in 2019) and Mississippi State (starting in 2022).

Michigan is overloaded with future home-and-home pairings, but there's always room for another that has this kind of back story to it.

When they could meet

Michigan has at least one power opponent on the schedule through the 2027 season, but this year it hosts Oregon State and visits Utah and is also set to face two power opponents in 2020 and 2021, so there's precedent for the Wolverines' willingness to load up on quality foes.

It might be more a matter of whether Arizona would want to play more than one in the same year, but if that's doable then the second week of 2019 is open for each school to get this series started.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I don't see us doing that while rr is coach sadly
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

ASUHATER! wrote:I don't see us doing that while rr is coach sadly
Yup. Luckily success can result in some remarkable uncontrolled scenarios. . . (fairly sure a UofA/UM NC championship game is a wet dream of the drama addicts at ESPN. . .)
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

You know it is the offseason when espn tries to give every story an SEC twist.

Here is the story on Arizona v Arkansas in their series on imaginary P12/SEC match-ups.

The only P12/SEC match-up I care about is ASSu and A&M. A real football game played by real players with an actual result.

Real,actual Wildcat football is only 3 weeks away. I can't wait.