Tailgating

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Tailgating

Post by azgreg »

What's the poop on tailgating this year? When I get to a game every once in a while I usually only get there in time for a few beers at one of the bars first. Some UTSA fans have inquired as well.
ANGCatFan

Re: Tailgating

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here is the tailgating page from the Arizona Athletics Fan Guide.

The real answer is the tailgates are the biggest party in Tucson. Great people watching, food and drink. You don't get the full college football experience if you don't at least stroll down the mall with a cold one in your hand and check out all the tailgaters. AFO has their own tailgating group and have options if you are just in town for a few games or the whole season. There are lots of different options depending on what you are looking for. Personally, I just do a pass through the tailgate area early in the season when it is hot and get more serious in Oct and Nov when we have the best weather in the country.

azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Wrote the following before reading ANG's post. I certainly have done the "wandering tailgate" through the mall on multiple occasions and it is definitely a fantastic scene. However, if you're looking for a space to pitch your tent & fire up your grill, if you are not a Wildcat Club member and don't have connections, it's trickier.

Obviously if you are a season ticket holder & Wildcat club member and opt for the tailgating season pass or first-come/first serve options, you can get space on the mall, which is awesome. I would guess that you could get those passes on the secondary market somehow but have never tried.

I typically only do one tailgate a year and it's always a struggle (it's always either the ASU game or the biggest home game if ASU is a roadie, which is part of my problem). If you look at the 2014 map, you can see the green $ lots are the only ones where tailgating is technically allowed. My understanding is that you can roll up to these lots and pay cash if space is available (I've never been able to get to these lots early enough)
https://parking.arizona.edu/visitors/do ... 2_000.pdf
Looks like in 2015 the lots south of 6th have changed status but I'm not sure that means they are tailgate-able:
[url}https://parking.arizona.edu/maps/docume ... otball.pdf[/url]

Because of this, we've typically tailgated in a private lot, which can be hard to find (the lot by Mansfield Jr High on 6th used to be preferred, then it was the lot behind Zachary's, both of these have been absorbed by the U and are no longer tailgate-able.) The past two years we've landed in a small lot on Martin (first street west of Campbell) between 6th and 7th street.

If anybody has a better solution for one-off tailgating, I would love to hear it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

quick question since i'm having a brain fart...can I bring beer to the tailgate and just walk around with it in the designated area? i haven't done that in a while. my work gave me free tix for thursday and i only have an hour before kick...
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Yes you can.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

scumdevils86 wrote:quick question since i'm having a brain fart...can I bring beer to the tailgate and just walk around with it in the designated area? i haven't done that in a while. my work gave me free tix for thursday and i only have an hour before kick...
AFAIK as long as you don't crack it open until you're in the designated area, you're good. I've done it before. Only thing that I've seen the cops be concerned about is bringing the beer south of the tailgate area.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

FYI, Greg Byrne told KCUB today that school has new sponsor for Wildcat Walk. That for 1000 fans that showed up to Wildcat Walk would receive something. He teased it. GB said he thought details were being released tomorrow.

And something about doing something different on 3rd downs this season. Not sure if that meant siren goes away or not
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

well sweet. looks i'm getting a six pack and walking around for an hour
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:FYI, Greg Byrne told KCUB today that school has new sponsor for Wildcat Walk. That for 1000 fans that showed up to Wildcat Walk would receive something. He teased it. GB said he thought details were being released tomorrow.

And something about doing something different on 3rd downs this season. Not sure if that meant siren goes away or not
At the Beanie Bowl they used a different siren which seemed like it was just the previous siren but with a stutter at the beginning. It was I don't think that's what he is talking about, but it was interesting.