23 Jared Baker and Devon Brewer

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

23 Jared Baker and Devon Brewer

Post by ANGCatFan »

Baker is a 5-8, 192, redshirt Senior running back from Los Angeles. He has spent the last three years as a reserve averaging 4.5 yards per carry and running close to a 100 yards each year for 326 yards for his career. Baker also has returned kickoffs every year averaging 21.2 yards per return. He has 3 TDs for his career with 2 coming against USC last year.

Daniel Berk has a story out today on the running backs and once again Coach Rod is calling his top 2 co-starters. Now, no one believes that Baker is going to get more carries than Wilson, but it does mean that the coaches believe he can be a starter if required. Strong and fast, Baker's fifth year as a Wildcat could be his breakout year.
“This is definitely the best shape I’ve ever been in,” Baker said.

Even though Baker was a Stoops recruit, Rodriguez said he is one of the fastest players on the team and said pound-for-pound, he would “give Derrick Turituri a run for his money” as the strongest player on the squad.

Baker will try to use that speed and strength that is drawing rave reviews in camp to have a breakout season as a senior.

The Los Angeles product said he isn’t sure if he got faster in the offseason, but believes he could take just about any Wildcat in a race.

Well, except one — sophomore receiver Tyrell Johnson.

“Now that dude is fast,” Baker said of Johnson, who is currently battling a foot injury. “He’s the fastest dude on the team.”

How much Baker gets to show off that speed depends a lot on Wilson.

Brewer is a 5-10, 169, Freshman cornerback from Central HS and Milford Academy, Fresno, CA. He was the defensive MVP of the 2013 Blue-Grey game as well as the defensive MVP at Milford Academy last year. An early enrollee, Brewer has been working with the team since January.

Here is some of the signing day write-up on Brewer from Arizona Daily Swarm:
Brewer was the 51st ranked corner in the nation and 97th ranked recruit out of California according to ESPN. He held offers to Houston, Nevada, San Jose State and UNLV before committing to Arizona. Many people wonder why Arizona is always the first power five school to offer recruits and a large part of it is the talent of Arizona recruiting coordinators finding them first.

Brewer shows great instinct and speed hovering over the secondary and into the backfield. He also knows how to deliver a hit. His lateral quickness will serve him well in a 3-3-5 defensive.

“Devon was one of our best players. It was his first time away from home, coming to New York from California, but he contributed since day one. He was a very key player in our football program. He is a great kid and he was a pleasure to coach.” – Milford Academy Coach Bill Chaplick

“Devon is a good football player. I’m really excited that he is here. He enrolled in January so he’ll be here for spring ball. I’m looking forward to him providing depth at the corner position for us.” – UA Coach David Lockwood
23 is the Arizona record for rushing TDs in a season set by Ka'Deem Carey in 2013. Tucson good!

ANGCatFan

Re: 23 Jared Baker and Devon Brewer

Post by ANGCatFan »

NO. 23

UA keeps streak alive without loss to ASU alive ’87 with bizarre tie

SCORE: Arizona Wildcats 24, ASU Sun Devils 24

DATE: Nov. 28, 1987
Useful pieces of Arizona 23 knowledge from Morales, but be warned he writes the name of a coach I am trying to flush from my memory.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

ANGCatFan wrote:Image
NO. 23

UA keeps streak alive without loss to ASU alive ’87 with bizarre tie

SCORE: Arizona Wildcats 24, ASU Sun Devils 24

DATE: Nov. 28, 1987
Best. Tie. Ever.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I think Brewer will be a real nice player in a couple years. Loved him outta HS, but his grades were why the bigger schools stayed away. I love what we do with Milford Academy. Kids get an extra fall to improve and gain weight and come in January with five years to play.

Baker is fast gonna be a great change of pace with Wilson. The kid can zoom. Wilson in between tackles two plays in a row than send Baker on the edge.... Oh, I'm excited
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »