Got My Season Tix...UGH! Warning - Rant

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Folesfor10K

Got My Season Tix...UGH! Warning - Rant

Post by Folesfor10K »

[Rant]

Like everyone I got my season tickets in the mail a few weeks back. This is normally one of the best days of the year for me but as I got to the page where the actual tickets were I noticed the Saturday November 14th game is a blue out. UGH. Why?!? Why?!? Why?!? Our gameday color is RED. Always has been. One of our few traditions. We only have a handful of football days per year...WEAR RED! I've always gotten on my friends for wearing anything but red on gamedays. I have plenty of blue Wildcat gear that I love and it's ok to wear that stuff 350 days a year but NOT on gameday!

I get that Greg Byrne wants to sell some more blue stuff for a blue out but is it worth it?!? Ok maybe I'm just a bui superstitious about the whole wearing red thing but there might be something to it. Red is the color of passion, of energy, of anger. That's what you want from both the fans and the players on gameday. Blue is a passive, sleepy, calming color. If we come out flat against Utah I'm placing some of the blame on this ridiculous blue out. That goes for both the players and the fans. Fans get fired up seeing red to and they make more noise and the players feed off the fan energy and vice versa. Red is an advantage over blue.

Think about the Cal game last year, we were asleep for the first 3 quarters...both the fans and the players. It was a white out...I wasn't going to do it but I wore white to the game with a red undershirt. My friends convinced me to do it and I've regretted that decision ever since. After one of the worst 1st halves ever I took that crap off and just had my red shirt...and we made an epic comeback. No white out ever again! White is a calming, pure color....not the emotion you want for fans or players on gameday.

When we beat Assu last year?....Players were wearing all red. When we beat Oregon in Autzen....they were wearing freaking pink. I'm all for supporting breast cancer research believe me but the color pink messes with your emotions and they played soft that game and were not ready for the monster known as Scooby. We were wearing red helmets and red bottoms by the way.

I remember my sophomore year(I think? 2003?) at U of A the Zona Zoo shirts were made blue and the Daily Widlcat ran a big story on how it was a huge mistake because it goes against our tradition and the shirts have been red ever since. Maybe I'm just being superstitious but colors CAN affect emotions and outcomes....WEAR RED ON GAMEDAY! Every home game should be a RED OUT. Any body else feel this way or just indifferent to it?

[/Rant]
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
azgreg

Re: Got My Season Tix...UGH! Warning - Rant

Post by azgreg »

I get the [insert color here] out rant. I'm also not a fan mainly because we can't seem to get it right. However, if you are going to have a blue out that's the game to do it as Utah is a red team.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Never understood why we wear red but the team often wore blue. If we wore red every game I would be a happy camper.

But if the team is wearing blue I dont mind wearing blue
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

At least we're wearing school colors to games. Look at any Arizona football video prior to the early 2000s and no one wore school colors to games. Just an amalgamation of every color in the crowd.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

ASUHATER! wrote:At least we're wearing school colors to games. Look at any Arizona football video prior to the early 2000s and no one wore school colors to games. Just an amalgamation of every color in the crowd.
Yeah, I don't agree with Folesfor10k on the tradition part. People wearing colors to home games is a recent thing, not only at Arizona but around the country. Even at powerhouses steeped in tradition, watch games from the early 2000s and people just wore whatever color they pulled out of the drawer.

The first ZonaZoo shirts were blue so this red thing really doesn't go back very far. When the Zoo rotated to red I guess they thought it stood out more so they kept with it. Over the next few years everyone else in the stadium started wearing red to games too.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

November 14 is Utah, and Utah's main color is red. A blue-out makes sense for that game.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

I appreciate the rant. I agree that we don't have many traditions and should stick with the ones that we do have.

Having said that, I selfishly prefer to wear blue (typically game days are the only times I wear red because I don't like the look all that much) so I can't match the rage.

And, as others have said, if you're going to do it, at least they picked the right game to do it.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

If it's a day game I'll hate it, because it'll be hot as hell wearing dark blue in the sun all day.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Love the passion but disagree with the logic. Agree with others that Wearing Red to games is a pretty recent thing...about the same time they painted large portions of the stadium red. Also agree that wearing Navy Blue is good so it is clear that it is an Arizona, not Utah crowd, is a good thing. Navy Blue is a strong color. I prefer to wear Navy Blue because red is a little too flashy for me. I also like to change things up..Traditions are good but not if they are too limiting. But that is me..I like white outs too.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

From '95 to '00 I wore blue UA gear to every football, basketball, baseball, and softball game I attended. Never even crossed my mind to wear red. And I feel like the teams wore blue more than red in those days. If that was the case it didn't affect the results because those encompassed some of the most successful years in our athletic department's history.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I'm just glad we can have this argument. Beats the hell out of "Should we wear ketchup or mustard?"
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

As an aside the booklet format was really cool I thought
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

UAEebs86 wrote:I'm just glad we can have this argument. Beats the hell out of "Should we wear ketchup or mustard?"
Their answer to that question was to wear black, haha. Can't say I blame them given the options available.
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

azcat49 wrote:As an aside the booklet format was really cool I thought
agree the booklet was pretty sharp. I actually thought the tickets were going to be a separate sheet like usual and I was worried when i first opened it that they didn't get put in my mailer packet.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A