61 Cayman Bundage

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

61 Cayman Bundage

Post by ANGCatFan »

Bundage is a 6-2, 281, senior offensive lineman from Oklahoma City. He is the most experienced member of the line having played in 36 games with 29 starts over the last 3 years. Bundage will start at left guard this year and joins Reggie Gilbert as the only 2 players who have started every year under Coach Rodriguez. Bundage's younger brother Calvin is being recruited for 2016 as a safety or linebacker.

61 is also the number of TDs scored by Arizona last year. I couldn't find a highlight video of all the TDs from 2014, but here is the guy who led most of those drives.

I wasn't able to confirm the Arizona record for the most TDs in a season (I suspect it is the 65 in 2012), but it would be nice to know going into this year.
azgreg

Re: 61 Cayman Bundage

Post by azgreg »

Another good piece by Berk.

Cats' Bundage ready to make noise at center

http://tucson.com/sports/football/colle ... 3d32a.html
Over the last half-decade, the Arizona Wildcats have developed physical centers who have turned into the clear leaders of the offensive line.

Steven Gurrola owned the role the past two years and was named a captain at the end of last season.

Kyle Quinn, now a UA graduate assistant, started there the two seasons before and was also a captain his senior year.

Before Quinn, Colin Baxter was the starter and was a two-time captain in 2009 and 2010.

The streak looked like it might continue this year with Carter Wood. But a chronic foot injury acted up during the first week of training camp, ending Wood’s season and career.

The injury created a giant gap at a position regularly viewed as the quarterback of the offensive line.

Coach Rich Rodriguez and offensive line coach Jim Michalczik didn’t shake things up right away after Wood’s injury.

But four days after Wood went out, Rodriguez and Michalczik tried something that seemed inevitable following the injury: They moved guard Cayman Bundage to center.

There was no doubting Bundage’s physical ability or strength: He’s listed at 6 feet 2 inches and 281 pounds, and has proven to be one of the UA’s best run-blockers. There was no questioning his résumé, either: Bundage has started 25 career games, all at guard.

Coaches did wonder, however, about his demeanor. For all of his strengths, Bundage is neither a vocal leader nor a rah-rah player.

“I wasn’t sure because of his personality or whatever if he wanted to be the center,” Rodriguez said. “He’s not real vocal.”

To say the least.

Bundage, part of Rodriguez’s first recruiting class in 2012, hasn’t been made available for interviews over the past two-plus seasons at his request. He doesn’t say much to his coaches or teammates, either.

Since the move, however, Bundage has thrived. His snaps, and his effort, have been consistently good.

“He’s got a high-pitched voice, so when he is vocal, they will hear him,” Rodriguez said with a smile. “The center has to make a few calls, but our offense is not as call-oriented up front as most people.”

The coach continued: “His snaps have gotten better each day. He’s more comfortable there. Everything happens quick. You snap the ball and there’s a guy right there on you. I’ve been really pleased with how he’s done there.”

In his new spot, Bundage will hold together and lead the line.

His teammates say he can do it, even though he’s not overly vocal on the field. Sophomore Jacob Alsadek, who will start next to Bundage at right guard, said he thinks the move has made the interior of the line stronger.

“I like Cayman at center because he moves people,” Alsadek said. “If I’m coming up on a combination block and I’m stuck on the line with you trying to block a down lineman, it’s hard for me to climb to the linebacker. He’s getting that movement, so that helps a lot.

“So I think that is the No. 1 thing I love about Cayman — you just have to give one quick punch, and then go.”

Physically, Bundage is an ideal fit, Rodriguez said.

“You have to be able to get on somebody in a hurry and hold the point,” Rodriguez said.

“He’s not the biggest guy, but he has very quick hands and he’s extremely aggressive. He’ll snap his hands on you pretty quick.”

Alsadek also thinks Bundage will succeed in the leadership part of the center position, even though he doesn’t say much.

“He’ll call stuff out when he has to and he’s a good communicator,” Alsadek said. “Last year, I was a freshman and didn’t know what I was doing. But he really helped me out and brought me along.”
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

G'dammit. I saw Cayman reposted and felt weak. Almost had a heart attack because I thought it was an Ippolito situation.

Our guys get bumped up and it scares the shit out of me.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

The Butcher wrote:G'dammit. I saw Cayman reposted and felt weak. Almost had a heart attack because I thought it was an Ippolito situation.

Our guys get bumped up and it scares the shit out of me.
good ol' beaten spouse syndrome AKA being a Wildcat fan. :-)
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Was it that obvious? Only since 1982. Yah, it's the "we can't have nice things and nothing goes right for us" situation.

But jesus, it seems like things are changing.... (also part of the syndrome - the constant hope.)