Reno Trip and Nevada Fans

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Machina

Reno Trip and Nevada Fans

Post by Machina »

It has been a few years but a group of us guys from college made another road trip to see the Cats in action away from Arizona. I would have to say that this was by far the best experience. Truly wish Nevada was in the PAC-12 so that we could make this trip every other year or so.

Landed on Friday in Reno and as we were walking to get the rental car, we saw lady with the sign for the team. I guess the team per twitter landed a few minutes after us. We then spent some time at Lake Tahoe after getting into town. Weather was great to visit the lake and spend some time doing water sports. Went back and rested up and hit up the Depot for dinner, I would say it is a Four Peaks meats Downtown Tucson. Great food and drinks and great "local views", highly recommend if you go to Reno. Really liked the Blacksmith beer they brew there. Spent the rest of the night making our sports bets and playing the tables at Silver Legacy.

Saturday gambled a little more and hung out with the guys before the game. Went to tailgate and this is what I became very impressed. Everyone was so amazingly nice. People thanked us for coming to Reno. Random people offered to let us hang at their tent and offered us drinks and food and jello shots and everything. Sat in the U of A section, which may have helped but no one cussed at us and no one gave us a hard time, besides a few funny boos and a few old ladies clearly joking with us in the beer line. After the second half dominance and the clock hit 0:00, everyone we passed thanked us for coming, even the students dressed up in outfits for the game. Went to a bar right by the stadium to watch some games and again, everyone thanked us and wished us good luck and told us to keep winning and how much ASU sucks. Talked to us about our team and our coach and so many things. Very knowledgeable fanbase for sure.

I say these things because it was just an great trip and a great experience as a visiting fan. I really hope that U of A can aspire to do the same to visitors of Arizona and Arizona Stadium, except for the Scumdevils of course.
azcat49

Re: Reno Trip and Nevada Fans

Post by azcat49 »

Nice trip. I am sure OOC roadies against non traditional rivals historically are more pleasent generally.

Do love the Tahoe area, Reno not so much. How was the stadium? Looked like a high school facility
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azcat49 wrote:Nice trip. I am sure OOC roadies againstnon traditional rivals historically are more pleasent generally.
I think you're right. BSU fans have not had the same experience with Nevada fans in Reno. It got pretty ugly a few years back when Kyle Brotzman missed that field goal.

Good report Machina. Thanks.
Machina

Post by Machina »

The stadium is a big high school stadium built into hills and trees and a nice sightline I would say. Dump but the outside of it is nice. Awful jumbotron
Cactuscat

Post by Cactuscat »

It was sad to see all the smoke from the fires. On Sunday you couldn't even see across the lake. It was almost like a fog you would see in San Francisco
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Last time I was in Tahoe it was the same, almost foggy from the smoke. Really sad
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Machina wrote:The stadium is a big high school stadium built into hills and trees and a nice sightline I would say. Dump but the outside of it is nice. Awful jumbotron
Worst jumbotron I've seen in any kind of college pro stadium. Looked liked it fit into the background of the 80s Tron movie. Too small to make out the replays. Fuzzy discoloration. Whole sections of it would go black.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson