Last second shots

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

psiclist23

Last second shots

Post by psiclist23 »

Why is it that other teams can make a last second prayer against us, but AZ..... When they are down like that needing a score, it's game over. ???
Merkin

Re: Last second shots

Post by Merkin »

UA has no go to guy this season.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Make your free throws and it doesn't matter
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

this has been the trend for years it seems. A few exceptions, and of course Salim was clutch
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

York has been a pretty good go to guy. Wish we would've gotten him more involved earlier.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
billk78

Post by billk78 »

AZCatGirl wrote:York has been a pretty good go to guy. Wish we would've gotten him more involved earlier.
I think the big issue this year is that we need York to handle the ball more. His strength is as a shooter coming off screens and getting himself open - stop and pop. Because PJC is below average and Allen isn't a true PG (plus he needs some rest) York sometimes has to handle the ball.

If we had someone else running the offense at the end the play would have been to set a screen to get York open, rather than having York trying to dribble around 3 guys to create his own shot.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

down 2, i figure CSM would feel pretty good about getting the ball to trier and taking it right to the hole
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

dirtbags wrote:down 2, i figure CSM would feel pretty good about getting the ball to trier and taking it right to the hole
No kidding...that last possession was a complete disaster :-(
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

We never just do the simple thing and feed the post and force the defense to double team and perhaps get an open 3 or let Tarc or Ristic make a move. It's always one of our guards trying to create something out of nothing....and nothing is usually what we get.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

carolinacat wrote:We never just do the simple thing and feed the post and force the defense to double team and perhaps get an open 3 or let Tarc or Ristic make a move. It's always one of our guards trying to create something out of nothing....and nothing is usually what we get.
Good point.....I don't like having to live and die by the York in the end....how could we not feed the post for that last possession???? Also, didn't like how much time we were taking off the clock towards the end of all those OTs.....were we trying to kill the clock? Or so incapable of feeding the post???
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

carolinacat wrote:We never just do the simple thing and feed the post and force the defense to double team and perhaps get an open 3 or let Tarc or Ristic make a move. It's always one of our guards trying to create something out of nothing....and nothing is usually what we get.
I agree with this... and if there is a silver lining, I at least feel more comfortable in end of game situations than I did during the Lute era (sans Salim). It was one of the few complaints (only one prior to his last few years, except for maybe use of TO's) I had with Lute's coaching.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lute rarely drew up end of game plans. He felt the players should win the game knowing what he taught them.

Besides, calling a TO end of game also gives the defense time to draw up a play too.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Merkin wrote:Lute rarely drew up end of game plans. He felt the players should win the game knowing what he taught them.

Besides, calling a TO end of game also gives the defense time to draw up a play too.
Yeah, that is exactly how I remember it. Lute felt that his players could outplay the other team after thorough practices on end-game situations.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Would have been nice to have that single time-out remaining to use in that last-shot scenario in 4OT. Like we always do, the timeout was burned halfway through OT because of something Miller saw that he didn't like in the preceding defensive sequence. Seems like we never have time outs available at the most important times - eh who needs em?! lol smh
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

RiseAndFire wrote:Would have been nice to have that single time-out remaining to use in that last-shot scenario in 4OT. Like we always do, the timeout was burned halfway through OT because of something Miller saw that he didn't like in the preceding defensive sequence. Seems like we never have time outs available at the most important times - eh who needs em?! lol smh
You've really got the long knives out tonight. I mean, 13-3 all the while losing our best incoming recruit and missing our ONLY returning starter for extended time. Crap, why don't you go cheer for Wisconsin, they lost fewer starters than Arizona did from last year and seem to have their act together. Oh wait.