15.1 Alonzo Trier
13.6 Kadeem Allen
13.1 Gabe York
4.1 Mark Tollefsen
0.0 Ryan Anderson
-2.1 Parker Jackson-Cartwright

62.67 Arizona TEAM
62.67 USC TEAM

BIRD Score = 40*[(Points +Rebounds + Assists + Blocks + Steals - Missed Shots - Turnovers - Personal Fouls)/(Minutes Played)]
dirtbags

Re: 40 Minute Bird Scores - @ USC

Post by dirtbags »

yeesh, i hope ryan's okay.

btw - just curious, is the coefficient for this game's calculation 40x or 60x ?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

40x
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

thanks for clarifying. should it be 60x to account for OT? esp if comparing across games or tracking throughout the season.

for example: gabe york, who played 55 mins would have a BIRD score of 19.6 (60 * 18 / 55) when adjusted for OT (instead of 40 * 18 / 55 = 13.1 based on 40x). otherwise, the algorithm artificially inflates the # of minutes played relative to 40 possible minutes and penalizes the player for OT by creating a larger denominator.

it also seems to minimize negative contributions -- PJC's BIRD score, for instance, adjusts from -2.1 (40x) to -3.2 (60x).

or maybe i'm just not understanding the formula correctly, i dunno...
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

All scores are normalized to 40 minutes - hence "40 minute Bird scores." It is what a players overall contribution would have been had he played an entire 40 minute game. It is just one way of comparing player x who played 12 minutes to player y who played 32 minutes; or, player x's contribution from game to game although his PT varies in those games.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

ok, got it. the reason why i mentioned york's score in particular is because he played 55 minutes and

40 (possible mins) / 55 (actual mins) * [performance]

produces a lower score than
60 (possible mins) / 55 (actual mins) * [performance]

because of the additional OT minutes played. i guess i was thinking that the BIRD score was normalized to the possible # of playing minutes available, similar to the kenpom player stats that adjusts for OT based on the % possible playing time.

do you keep an archive of BIRD stats from prior games or seasons up anywhere? i'd be keen to look back and compare.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

dirtbags wrote:...do you keep an archive of BIRD stats from prior games or seasons up anywhere? i'd be keen to look back and compare.
I have them, but they are not posted online. Sorry.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

KaibabKat wrote:20.0 Justin Simon
17.8 Dusan Ristic
17.0 Kaleb Tarczewski
15.1 Alonzo Trier
13.6 Kadeem Allen
13.1 Gabe York
4.1 Mark Tollefsen
0.0 Ryan Anderson
-2.1 Parker Jackson-Cartwright

62.67 Arizona TEAM
62.67 USC TEAM

BIRD Score = 40*[(Points +Rebounds + Assists + Blocks + Steals - Missed Shots - Turnovers - Personal Fouls)/(Minutes Played)]

Based on these bird scores and the eye test, I'd much rather be developing Simon than suffering with PJC. Be just to Justin.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Justin Simon is physically capable of being an impact player. I wonder if there's enough time to get it done this season. Not giving up on PJC, but JS is much bigger, stronger, and seems to be super quick.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Thanks for these KaibabKat! Painful loss though......
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:Justin Simon is physically capable of being an impact player. I wonder if there's enough time to get it done this season. Not giving up on PJC, but JS is much bigger, stronger, and seems to be super quick.
That's why I'd posted preseason that we would be better as a team if he passed up PJC. PJC can be a solid rotation guy, Simon can be a star.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

This thread should be a sticky so we can refer to it throughout the year.....very cool info and effort by KaibabKat!
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

If Simon could somehow, someway become a good shooter he would be unstoppable. I wish he was like Trier and lived in the gym because that is a major obstacle for him getting to the NBA, but it's also seemingly the only obstacle based on all of his other measurables (from the very little we have seen of him, I'll admit)