28 Nick Wilson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

28 Nick Wilson

Post by ANGCatFan »

Wilson is a 5'10", 208, Junior running back from Fresno, CA. Because he was limited last year by injuries it appears that many people are lowering expectations for Wilson. Yes, he dropped from 1375 yds and 16 TDs as a Freshman to 729 yards and 8 TDs as a Sophomore, but that does not mean he will be injured again this year or that his production will stay down. I don't see Wilson as an every down back, but with Bradford and Green or Taylor he doesn't have to be. I'm hoping we see a return to his Freshman year numbers and a healthy season from Wilson.

Wilson is obviously the number 1 running back on the depth chart and enters this year as 12th in school history for rushing yards and 7th most for rushing TDs. An experienced line and QB should set Wilson up for a strong year.

28 was the number of TD passes by Anu in 2014 which tied the school record held by Nick Foles and Willie Tuitami.

No. 28
Most Forced Fumbles In A Season: 6, Scooby Wright, 1984

Pac-12 record (since 2005): Wright is tied with Anthony Barr, UCLA, 2013; Josh Shirley, Washington, 2012; Scott Crichton, Oregon State, 2011; and Chase Thomas, Stanford, 2011
ANGCatFan

Re: 28 Nick Wilson

Post by ANGCatFan »

Daily Wildcat with a story on Wilson.
The Wildcats are 11-1 when Wilson registers at least 100 all-purpose yards in the past two seasons.

When Wilson is on his game, drives are sustained and Arizona avoids long down-and-distance situations, easing the burden on the rest of the offense.

In those same 12 games where Wilson has eclipsed the 100-yard mark, Solomon’s touchdown-to-interception ratio stands at 22 to 4.

When Wilson doesn't rack up at least 100 yards, Solomon's touchdown-to-interception ratio dips to a 26-10 mark.

Essentially, when Wilson is not on his game, things get ugly in a hurry for Arizona.
ANGCatFan

Re: 28 Nick Wilson

Post by ANGCatFan »

New story from the Daily Wildcat on Wilson. The QB competition has gotten the attention, but a healthy Wilson and an effective running game is the key to getting the most out of offense this season.
A little known fact about that freshman season was that Wilson was playing through a pretty severe injury.

“Coming into Arizona my freshman year, I had two broken collarbones and I didn’t even know that I was playing with both of those,” Wilson said. “I mean, for the most part, it’s just a mindset, it’s just what you can take. And I always thought I had a really high pain tolerance, and apparently I did because I just recently found out that happened.”
. . .
“I feel that as I’m older now, I definitely know the game more,” Wilson said. “I think I have an advantage over other people because I know what the quarterback’s doing, what the receivers are doing, what the line is doing. So I definitely feel more confident in the offense.”

As for what to expect in the season opener against BYU, Wilson said that he and the team had a large and heart-felt piece of motivation.

“We definitely got to pull this one out for Zach [Hemmila]," Wilson said. "He’s definitely on our shoulders and in our hearts.”