Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Arizona @Wazzu discussion thread

Post by Merkin »

Wazzu opens at 16 point favorite.
SCCats

Re: Arizona @Wazzu discussion thread

Post by SCCats »

Somewhat difficult to understand how we could beat a team like WSU (5-0 in conference, btw) when we can't even put 14 points on the board

So I guess we'll just have to hope to be very pleasantly surprised, against almost all of the evidence this season
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Leach is going to pour it on RR. This is going to be ugly
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

One word:

Pain
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Going to be ugly.

I actually think Wazzu has a really good shot at winning the North and ruining the mutts perfect season.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

And to think we had Joe Salavea as our defensive line coach and RichRod didn't hire him when he could have so easily. (Shaking my head.)
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

We still have 4 more games and then this season will mercifully end. I am just praying that we can pull out the W in the rivalry game. I don't know how we are gonna stop their monster of a running back. Crazier things have happened.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

An Attempt to simplify for this game. Score more points than the Cougars and win.

RR "known" to be Offensive oriented. Score more than the other team. Get by with Mediocre (Poor) defenses. Although RR still seems to be deflecting on offense issues and seems to spend more time analyzing Defense stuff that needs improvement.

RR's UA teams 2012-2015 have averaged 35.86 PPG
RR's 2013 UA team scored fewest PPG at 33.50 PPG
RR's 2012 first UA team surprisingly averaged most PPG at 38.15 PPG

This year's RR team so far is averaging 24.10 PPG
The 24.10 PPG is RR's 3rd fewest so far in his career. Not surprisingly 1st YR Mich fewest at 20.25 PPG, then 1st YR WV at 21.36 PPG
RR's offense team production way off this year, even with majority Dawkins which many wanted to be starter.

Cougars PPG this year 39.8 PPG. Their fewest this year was against UCLA with 27 points in a win.

UA did score 47 points against Hawaii (which skewed PPG a bit up to 24.10 PPG this year). So I guess there's hope.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

No way we hold the cougs to under 40 in my opinion. which means we have to score over 40....sooo nope.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I am back to my old mode of just watching the games in hope of seeing incremental improvement. Maybe whoever starts at QB, Anu or BD, can make a few better reads and hit some open receivers before tucking and running, maybe we can find a little improvement at RB with Zach or SG or what about Morin bruising up some of WSU's defenders, why not adjust on the up-tempo stuff and try a little ball control to limit how much our D is on the field, maybe the secondary can limit the number long passes without always starting 15 yards from scrimmage. I am not looking for the W, just some incremental progress that we can build upon and have some hope for an upset of AsSU. :roll:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Especially there is no one on the team named "Newal".

But in any event, Neal is not a critical piece at any position.

Saw a tweet, forgot the source, which sad the last 2 games the UA played were the lowest scoring of any 2 consecutive games in the RichRod era.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Merkin wrote:
Wazzu opens at 16 point favorite.
17 now. Free money on the Cougs.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Sharps pushed it down to 15. Probably thinking we,are healthy and they think we kept the UDUB game close when we were healthy.

Sucks when you wake up on a football Saturday and you know you have no chance of winning. Hasn't been this bad some the wacko days
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

If Arizona is to have some hope, they've got to get an offensive spark. It's not just the need to score points, it's the need to keep the defense off the field. The lack of a healthy RB is going to make that difficult, unless Grant has a breakout game. I think RR may try to throw some more today, which is why I picked Solomon in RAP. Wazzu is decent against the run and without Wilson or Taylor available, it's gonna be tough if the Coug D can sit back and put an extra defender or two in the box. Oregon St. was able to throw on them last week and it opened the run game up for them.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Was starting to get nervous just before the game about the 16 points I gave with Wazzu, but I'm feeling much better about it now.