Memo to Coach Rodriguez

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Memo to Coach Rodriguez

Post by Harvey Specter »

Coach,

Please meet me in my office at 7 AM on Monday morning. I am quite interested to hear what your rationale was for benching Khalil Tate for the 2nd half in favor of Brandon Dawkins. I had forgotten the dismay I felt when I saw Khalil in action on the field in Boulder, wondering how he had not won the starting job previously.

Be prepared to provide a plausible explanation. There are several that come to mind... none of which are acceptable. You had bet money on ASU... You wanted to help Todd Graham so that ASU does not get a coach who can REALLY kick your ass... you are tired of coaching and would like to collect the balance remaining on your contract up front so you can return to the broadcast booth... you learned at halftime that Rita is carrying Khalil's baby (I would feel your pain, but we don't let personal issues get in the way of our job).

Do not insult my intelligence by suggesting that you believed Brandon gave us the best chance to win the game. I will fire your ass and use personal funds to hire Alan Dershowitz to defend the University in a civil suit to avoid your contract termination buyout.

I suspect You may not like the fact that Khalil Tate casts a broader shadow over the program than you do, and you wanted to remind him who calls the shots. Let me give you a little reality check, Ricky. If it were not for him, there would be ZERO chance that you would be retained into 2018. For those who say our seasons successes are entirely a result of his contributions - I invite them to watch the first and second half tapes

I am sitting down with Khalil later Monday morning. If I find out that he is considering transferring, start making plans to relocate.

Your snarky attitude at the press conference is not helping your cause. You have not been anywhere NEAR successful enough to cop a 'tude in thei situation.

It seems you need a reminder on who calls the shots for the Athletic Department. It is not you.

Warmest regards,

Your Athletic Director
3rdand25

Re: Memo to Coach Rodriguez

Post by 3rdand25 »

Ha, nice.

Yeah I don't get the arrogance in the press conferences? I mean, you're not "winning the press conference" with that, you know? Isn't that what Greg Byrne was all about?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

3rdand25 wrote:Ha, nice.

Yeah I don't get the arrogance in the press conferences? I mean, you're not "winning the press conference" with that, you know? Isn't that what Greg Byrne was all about?
You’re assuming he’s trying to win the press conference.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

And who are we hiring to replace him? I am fine letting him go if we have a good replacement we can get
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Heeke is a pussy. He’ll be drinking cranberry martinis and dancing to Shakira on Monday.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

chiefzona wrote:Heeke is a pussy. He’ll be drinking cranberry martinis and dancing to Shakira on Monday.
:lol:
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:And who are we hiring to replace him? I am fine letting him go if we have a good replacement we can get
I would certainly put out feelers to Kevin Sumlin, Les Miles, and a few others...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Harvey Specter wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:And who are we hiring to replace him? I am fine letting him go if we have a good replacement we can get
I would certainly put out feelers to Kevin Sumlin, Les Miles, and a few others...
Who would laugh you out of the room and say "Arizona?" Is that a division I team?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not really a fan of hiring old retread fired coaches, but was always a fan of Tedford at Cal, and he is doing good things at Fresno State.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I think RR deserves credit for the turnaround season. I'm not a big fan of his. I think we lost some games we certainly should've won. I'm sure RR feels that way too. Dawkins was the exact type of player who was good enough to get you beat. He'd make a few nice plays but when the chips were down and NEEDED a play, he couldn't deliver. Cost us against Houston & Utah. With Tate, I think we beat both of those teams.

We beat the crap out of UCLA this season. We upset a nationally ranked and solid Wazzu team. We held our own against USC on the road. We were fortunate we didn't play UW or Stanford, which would've probably meant two more losses. But the schedule hit us hard at the end. We got Oregon at exactly the wrong time. Play them anywhere without their starting QB and we roll.

So we're 7-5, which is right where we should be. Lost a few we shouldn't. Won a few we were fortunate to get.

The real question is the program itself. From a fan perspective, football was on life support to start the season. Obviously Tate was huge in the resurrection and breathing life back into things. But I also witnessed some really solid play from a very young bunch of defensive players. In fact, the most exciting players on defense were all freshmen. That bodes well.

The big question is, "Does RR have the player's confidence? Do they believe in him?" Forget what the fanbase and attendance say. Are the players invested? And is there reason to believe a solid foundation is in place for a better performance next season?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

With the other open positions I don't think you get a top choice. I have thought about it and all off season I said you needed to go 6-6 with beating asu or 7-5 without the asu win to keep RR. Don't go back on that but next season he must go 9-3 or be let go. No matter what injuries occur
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:With the other open positions I don't think you get a top choice. I have thought about it and all off season I said you needed to go 6-6 with beating asu or 7-5 without the asu win to keep RR. Don't go back on that but next season he must go 9-3 or be let go. No matter what injuries occur
My benchmark before the season was 8-4 (3-0 preseason and a winning conference record). I modified that after the Houston game to simply a winning conference record which we achieved.

So... I do think he did enough to keep his job, but the absolute minimum required - and not enough to regain my confidence or excitement,

And if we got a read that a Sumlin or Miles would come here? Kick RR to the curb. Sorry, but business is business - and he would do that to us in a heartbeat if the shoe was on the other foot.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

Seth Littrell
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Terrible 2nd half management. I could forgive him for losing since Tate went down. I can forgive last year. But terrible recruiting especially after the Fiesta and the constant flirting with other schools makes me have no patience. I just witnessed 3 basketball loses and a terrible game on the plane home. Not happy. One player shouldnt create disaster like it did. Poor management.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Florida
Tennessee
Asu
Nebraska
Arkansas
Texas A&M
Hearing Michigan as well
Maybe Oregon
Etc

These are not the schools you want to complete with. Every year one or two big schools will be looking but firing someone without a plan and with high competition is not very smart.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

A couple days ago Michigan was negotiating a lifetime contract with Harbaugh. So Michigan will not be open.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

PHXCATS wrote:Florida
Tennessee
Asu
Nebraska
Arkansas
Texas A&M
Hearing Michigan as well
Maybe Oregon
Etc

These are not the schools you want to complete with. Every year one or two big schools will be looking but firing someone without a plan and with high competition is not very smart.
In any given year a few major schools have open jobs:

2016: LSU, Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma (mid-summer change), South Florida, etc
2015: Virgina Tech, South Carolina, Miami, Georgia, USC, etc.

You never know in any given year.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

OSUCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Florida
Tennessee
Asu
Nebraska
Arkansas
Texas A&M
Hearing Michigan as well
Maybe Oregon
Etc

In any given year a few major schools have open jobs:

2016: LSU, Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma (mid-summer change), South Florida, etc
2015: Virgina Tech, South Carolina, Miami, Georgia, USC, etc.

You never know in any given year.
True but this year is worse I feel
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Teams that hired new coaches for this season:

Ball State
Bowling Green
BYU
East Carolina
Georgia
Georgia Southern
Hawaii
Illinois
Iowa State
Maryland
Memphis
Miami
Minnesota
Missouri
North Texas
Rutgers
South Carolina
Syracuse
Texas State
Toledo
Tulane
UCF
ULM
USC
UTSA
Virginia
Virginia Tech
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Only 4 in the tiers above UA.

More than 4 this year.

Why I wanted UA to fire RR last year and get PJ Fleck
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

There are thirteen P5 schools on that list. You may argue that we have had better success than some of them but in no way are we a tier above any of them.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:There are thirteen P5 schools on that list. You may argue that we have had better success than some of them but in no way are we a tier above any of them.
Only VT USC Georgia and Miami are tiers above UA.

Illinois Iowa State ETC are in the same tier
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

South Carolina maybe above but not definitely at this point
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

PHXCATS wrote: Every year one or two big schools will be looking but firing someone without a plan and with high competition is not very smart.
I agree that you need a plan.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, I disagree that at a place like Arizona Football the entirety of your plan can be "Try to hire a good head coach."

We need a real plan. A systemic plan.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

chiefzona wrote:Heeke is a pussy. He’ll be drinking cranberry martinis and dancing to Shakira on Monday.
Heeke dancing to Shakira...much respect! I love Shakira.