Venting Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: Venting Thread

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:1, my parents and sister are visiting and taught my 3yo to say..."Arizona state is great!"

Fuck them.

2. I've come to the realization I can cook better then the slop I get at most run of the mill restaurants, chain and non chain, and it's getting to the point where i can't justify eating out at most places due to the price of entrees, appetizers or "small plates", and beverage costs, because the whole of it is largely slop on a plate.
Per no 2....cane to that conclusion a while back. Why would I get chicken and a vegetable or some basic pasta or a sandwich or salad at most restaurants when it costs me pennies on the dollar at home?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The most underrated sandwich condiment (marinara sauce) is essential to the most underrated sandwich: the meatball sandwich. Not any meatball sandwich, but the one you make yourself with your homemade marinara sauce. You don't even need to make the meatballs yourself -- I use the Trader Joe's frozen Italian meatballs. It's hard work for a sandwich, but still easier than spaghetti and meatballs.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'm with CST. I generally can cook meats just as well as they can in restaurants, so rarely go out for dinner.

TheBlackLodge wrote:You guys need to get on board with the Kenji Lopez-Alt method and reverse sear your steaks.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how- ... steak.html
Same here. Always reverse sear. Never tried it indoor though, always use a grill. Living out here in Cali, can bbq all year round.

Going to do a brisket in the smoker today, using a technique one of my brothers told me about, using butcher paper.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We went to this new place that opened up near the house. It has the stainless steel and refurbished wood decor, mid century modern light fixtures and all the things that are "hot" right now. Morel mushrooms, truffle oil, burrata cheese, etc etc. it's comfort food "elevated". Apps and small plates for 10-14, entrees at 16-30, in a space that was glorified food court. We looked at this dishes coming out, which weren't anything special, had a pre dinner drink and went to the bomb taqueria across the street.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:2. I've come to the realization I can cook better then the slop I get at most run of the mill restaurants, chain and non chain, and it's getting to the point where i can't justify eating out at most places due to the price of entrees, appetizers or "small plates", and beverage costs, because the whole of it is largely slop on a plate.
Breakfast is the great exception to that rule. I mean, you can certainly put pancakes, eggs, hash browns, sausage, bacon, toast, orange juice, and coffee on the table for four people, but it would take you an hour to make and you’d spend the hour after cleaning up your kitchen. Fuck that noise.

Just took my boys out to a popular brunch place. Early enough to beat the church crowd. One kid had a sausage breakfast burrito, another had a funny face pancake, and I had country fried steak, scrambled eggs, potatoes, and we all shared a side of bacon. $25 and I didn’t have to clean one fucking dish or pan.

. . . Winning . . .
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Same here, we got out for breakfast a lot more than we do other meals.

Although I have a thorough disgust for chains, a Black Bear Diner opened up in town, and they are actually really good. Food is delicious, prices are excellent, and has a really cool decor.

However, back on mayo:
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Breakfast is even cheaper to make at home. Even with the spike in bacon prices.

My son went out for breakfast one after practice with the other linemen, and his breakfast and the pancakes I bought for my youngest daughter was just under $20. I could have made it all at home for under $5.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:2. I've come to the realization I can cook better then the slop I get at most run of the mill restaurants, chain and non chain, and it's getting to the point where i can't justify eating out at most places due to the price of entrees, appetizers or "small plates", and beverage costs, because the whole of it is largely slop on a plate.
Breakfast is the great exception to that rule. I mean, you can certainly put pancakes, eggs, hash browns, sausage, bacon, toast, orange juice, and coffee on the table for four people, but it would take you an hour to make and you’d spend the hour after cleaning up your kitchen. Fuck that noise.

Just took my boys out to a popular brunch place. Early enough to beat the church crowd. One kid had a sausage breakfast burrito, another had a funny face pancake, and I had country fried steak, scrambled eggs, potatoes, and we all shared a side of bacon. $25 and I didn’t have to clean one fucking dish or pan.

. . . Winning . . .
Yes this is so true.

Trying to get breakfast dishes out for all including the inlaws and have it all arrive hot and at the same time plus clean up is an sysiphisian task.

Going out is much better
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

wyo-cat wrote:Breakfast is even cheaper to make at home. Even with the spike in bacon prices.

My son went out for breakfast one after practice with the other linemen, and his breakfast and the pancakes I bought for my youngest daughter was just under $20. I could have made it all at home for under $5.
No one ever eats out because it’s cheaper than eating at home. Even fast food is more expensive than cooking the same items at home. Eating out is about variety and convenience.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

3 slices of bacon 1.50
2 eggs scrambled .40
Hash browns .40
2 pieces of toast .40
Butter/jelly. 1.00

About 3.70 in cost from the store and I pay 7.95 at my breakfast place. Agree with chi, convenient and easy. No mess, no fuss
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

No way I'm going through this much trouble in my own kitchen.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^ I have never been able to make a chicken fried steak at home with biscuits and gravy like you can get at a breakfast restaurant.

Had the chicken fried steak and biscuits and gravy at the Black Bear Diner last Friday. From their website:

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Biscuits and gravy is very easy to make at home. Diners usually gyp you on the sausage in the gravy, I load it up. Homemade biscuits are a breeze to make.

I can do chicken fried steak, but it’s a shitload of work.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

On a side note, that was the worst chicken fried steak I've ever had.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

i made it once too. huge pain and it wan't that great either.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

wyo-cat wrote:Biscuits and gravy is very easy to make at home.
It is very easy for the gravy. Just brown the sausage, adding a tablespoon of flour at time until it gets browned, only need 4 tablespoons or so, then add milk when all is browned to get the right consistency you want.

Biscuits I have never been able to make well. Now I just use the Red Lobster cheesy mix from Costco which everyone loves, just not authentic.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dude merkin, we got a black bear diner recently and been contemplating checking it out. This thread is some great PR! Thanks.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We've got 5 of them here in Phoenix. Good stuff. I wish I went there this morning instead of Otto's Empire Diner (formerly Crazy Otto'S).
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

We just got a Black Bear Diner six months ago in Cottonwood to replace the f*cking terrible Sizzler.

I've been there three times since, and it's even f*cking worse. Frozen, reheated meat, clueless service and 2 hours spent at the restaurant for even a regular meal.

Hard to go out for breakfast around my town.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

it looks expensive too. if i'm getting basic eggs/bacon/biscuits type breakfast paying 10-12 bucks a plate is too much for me.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yikes.

Thanks all for the blak bear intel
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Went to a Black Bear Diner in Orange County, since we were passing through around 6 am, and they open early.

It was also really good. Never been able to finish a regular breakfast, portions are huge.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Been a couple of times and the food and service has been very good.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Dotties True Blue Cafe in the Tenderloin has the best breakfast anywhere -- was lucky enough to eat there again this weekend, was my daughters first time.

also, there is nothing like room service breakfast for some reason, Sunday's edition was out of this world.

never been to Black Bear, although they are a tenant in two shopping centers we own.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Merkin wrote:Went to a Black Bear Diner in Orange County, since we were passing through around 6 am, and they open early.

It was also really good. Never been able to finish a regular breakfast, portions are huge.
I think Mel's Diner could relocate to Orange County and taste like the nectar of the gods. Competition and locale matter. Black Bear Cottonwood has neither, really.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

My new phone hasn’t yet adapted to my way of talking. “Boyo” doesn’t come up on the autocorrect. What’s up with that? I learned it off my Welsh buddy I played rugby with in college. “Tidy, boyo, tidy” he would say after a good play.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

wyo-cat wrote:My new phone hasn’t yet adapted to my way of talking. “Boyo” doesn’t come up on the autocorrect. What’s up with that? I learned it off my Welsh buddy I played rugby with in college. “Tidy, boyo, tidy” he would say after a good play.
Looking for a valediction? ;)

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote:Dotties True Blue Cafe in the Tenderloin has the best breakfast anywhere -- was lucky enough to eat there again this weekend, was my daughters first time.

also, there is nothing like room service breakfast for some reason, Sunday's edition was out of this world.

never been to Black Bear, although they are a tenant in two shopping centers we own.
I agree on Dottie's. Ate there a year ago.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Got stung by a bee from a hive in our roof (that the landlord has ignored us complaining about for months) on the back of my forearm. It's been about 50 some odd hours since the sting and almost my entire lower arm from elbow to wrist is very red and swollen and it is just getting worse. Only this localized reaction and symptoms. Been taking ibuprofen and just bought some calahist topical gel but that didn't seem to do much. Really gross and annoying.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:Mayo is essential to so many things.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I hate tapas. And “sharing plates.”
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I love tapas only because I really enjoy eating a lot of different good things in one meal.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:I love tapas only because I really enjoy eating a lot of different good things in one meal.
That’s how it goes in Spain. Here you get nothing because there aren’t enough pieces to go around, unless you want that last one on the plate with a bite taken out of it.

Me: “How many come with an order.”

Waiter: “Four.”

Skinny Girl: “Let’s get one order of that.”

Me: “But there’s six of us.”

Skinny Girl: “Then you can have what’s left of the one Larry takes a bite out of.”
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Worst Sports 7 days ever? It’s up there.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

First black bear diner experience in Carson city after taking the family to the polar express.

Good stuff, pleasantly surprised.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

well life kicked another group of people squared the proverbial crotch today when whoever’s in charge decided to take Brandon James Judge from this world at age 42.

RIP friend - RIP
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97, it sounds like you lost somebody who's amazing. I'm so sorry.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

97cats wrote:well life kicked another group of people squared the proverbial crotch today when whoever’s in charge decided to take Brandon James Judge from this world at age 42.

RIP friend - RIP
Thanks for the perspective...I came to this thread to vent today about losing a 7-figure client today. I read this post and figured that there are others out there for the taking, thank goodness for my family and health.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Longhorned wrote:I hate tapas. And “sharing plates.”
Just got back from a terrific dinner at a suburban Turkish restaurant.

6 of us shared dolma - 2 orders 5 dolma each - no arguments over the spares
1 relatively small plate of green beens - no arguments.
2 mixed grill plates - one lamb cutlet and one sausage each plate - no arguments they were cut up shared.
1 iskander - no arguments

It was absolutely great and every mouthful was delicious and there wasn't anything that anybody didn't want. We just shared and had a great time.

I love sharing plates at Turkish, Thai, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Spanish, South American, even Italian some times. Mexican doesn't really lend itself to sharing so much. How do you not share Russian or any Eastern European cuisine when they just keep bringing plate after plate after plate after plate after plate. Not so much English or French because they don't lend themselves to share plates all that much.

But, at home, don't you 'share plates' at home? "Pass the potatoes please"; why didn't you get the chicken when it was in front of you? Is there anymore beans? Or do you dress each plate in the kitchen and bring it to the table for each person individually, like a French restaurant?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My car is sitting in a transmission shop while I anxiously await a quote.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm on day 13 out of 14 on the road away from my home and family.

I'm going a little crazy!!!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg wrote:My car is sitting in a transmission shop while I anxiously await a quote.
And I'm now $2000 poorer.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:well life kicked another group of people squared the proverbial crotch today when whoever’s in charge decided to take Brandon James Judge from this world at age 42.

RIP friend - RIP
Way way way too young. This world can be so unfairly cruel.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Today is my clear liquids only day before my colonoscopy tomorrow morning. It's going to suck.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:Today is my clear liquids only day before my colonoscopy tomorrow morning. It's going to suck.
.... and blow.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:Today is my clear liquids only day before my colonoscopy tomorrow morning. It's going to suck.
.... and blow.
I've been saving season 2 of Stranger Things just for tonight's extended stay on the throne.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
.... and blow.
I've been saving season 2 of Stranger Things just for tonight's extended stay on the throne.
Let us know which one is more scary; what you see in the show or what happens to your body.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If you guys don't hear from me for a while it's because I killed a co-worker.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:If you guys don't hear from me for a while it's because I killed a co-worker.
We should all take this opportunity and kill a co-worker. Pick a real asshole for this. Can you imagine? This thread would appear in news reports all over the world. Documentaries will be made for decades. Many countries will outlaw message boards. And many people everywhere will admit secretly to themselves that the world became a better place when the assholes at work all stopped coming into the office for fear they were next.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Just got the call...car needs a new alternator and battery and update to fix the computer. $800+