23 Gary Brightwell

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

23 Gary Brightwell

Post by ANGCatFan »

Brightwell is a 6-1, 206, Sophomore running back. He played in every game last year primarily on special teams making 2 tackles. Brightwell was listed as a receiver last year because that unit needed more depth and gave him a better chance of seeing the field. He moved to running back in the spring and has a good shot at the number 2 spot. Brightwell looked really good in the open scrimmage, but left early for a leg injury.

As a high school Junior, Brightwell rushed for 1309 yards on 9.9 ypc and 19 TDs. He only played in 4 games as a Senior, but still ran for 519 yards on 6.7 ypc and 8 TDs. It is not his numbers that impress me most, but Brightwell's character, work ethic, and background. Zach Rosenblatt, AZ Star, wrote a great story on Brightwell last summer that highlights what he has overcome and what drives Brightwell. He has a great chance to be the #2 RB and a breakout star this year.

23 is the Arizona record for rushing TDs in a season set by Tucson's own KaDeem Carey in 2013.
Chicat

Re: 23 Gary Brightwell

Post by Chicat »

I’m really interested to see what this running game looks like. I feel like for Tate to be successful, teams are going to also have to scheme for guys like Brightwell.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Looks like we are going to see a lot of this guy this year.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Whatever happened to Nathan Tilford? Thought it was a big pickup when the Cats got him, and now he rarely sees the field outside of ST, even when the top 2 RBs are hurt.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Tilford's running third. I think they like Brightwell and his ability to catch that swing pass that Mazzone so loves
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:I’m really interested to see what this running game looks like. I feel like for Tate to be successful, teams are going to also have to scheme for guys like Brightwell.
azcat49 wrote:Looks like we are going to see a lot of this guy this year.
azcat49 wrote:I think they like Brightwell and his ability to catch that swing pass that Mazzone so loves
I'm really interested to see if this kid has a breakout season. Been intrigued by him since we landed him. Looking forward to the new offense and some new faces . . .
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BearDown89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:I’m really interested to see what this running game looks like. I feel like for Tate to be successful, teams are going to also have to scheme for guys like Brightwell.
azcat49 wrote:Looks like we are going to see a lot of this guy this year.
azcat49 wrote:I think they like Brightwell and his ability to catch that swing pass that Mazzone so loves
I'm really interested to see if this kid has a breakout season. Been intrigued by him since we landed him. Looking forward to the new offense and some new faces . . .
Definitely seems like Taylor will be 1A and Brightwell 1B. I think Tilford will play the Zach Green role.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Explain to me like I'm slow why you didn't play more last year?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Any updates on GB?