Red/Blue, who's going?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ByJoveByJingle

Re: Red/Blue, who's going?

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

No offense Newport, but between this and your “I’m out” thread . . . your friends sound like douchebags. So as the self-appointed presiding judge, I’m going to have to disallow the use of their anecdotal opinions in the trial of Arizona football.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

i have been telling them for years they are douchebags and just glad someone now finally agrees with me!
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Newportcat wrote:i have been telling them for years they are douchebags and just glad someone now finally agrees with me!
Gold
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Newportcat wrote:i have been telling them for years they are douchebags and just glad someone now finally agrees with me!
Gold
When your former college roommate starts talking trash to you about the college you both went to losing in a game...I am sorry but that is the very definition of a Douchebag.

I have told him he is a massive douche but like a typical Douchebag he does not listen or chooses not to listen because he is in his own Douchebag Land living in DoucheBag City where of course he is the Mayor.

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I had a roommate at Arizona who was from Newport Beach, big USC family. Arizona would be scheduled to play them and we'd make bets on what jersey he'd wear or which side of the stadium he'd sit in.

Some people, man.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Newportcat wrote:
EVCat wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
LOL at caring more about Arizona football than basketball. Good lord, what that must feel like (sorry for the good fans who also care about it a bit, obviously).
I don't get not caring equally, personally. At least for alumni...it's my school, and a major sport.

Am i disappointed more by Arizona football? Maybe. Expectations drive disappointment.

Is being a hardcore UA hoops fan more fun? Yeah.

Is it amazing when we do have those breakthrough football years? Oh, yeah. No sporting event I have attended on campus has equaled beating UW in '92. Not the '91 Duke game, not the '11 Florida game. The win over ASU in '98 in football? Definitely top 10.

To me, there is no "bit" of feeling. I am just as jacked for a big football game as a big basketball game. I am more often surprised by football, more often satisfied with basketball...
As a former diehard Arizona football fan I can tell you the vast majority of my u of a buddies could give two shits about Arizona football. In fact my former roommate now claims USC football and was taking trash on a group text to a bunch of after last weeks game and no one even responded.

This same guy would take a bullet for Lute. Now if we were really good at football it would be different of course but we are also some what younger alumni where our football team has always been poor (started school in 1999)

This same group probably had 50 texts right after Josh green committed and I would say everyone one could name our recruiting class and who is visiting next week. The passion for Arizona basketball is intense, almost scary. Football not so much at all.

Did most live in and then move back to Cali? Because that alumni base is notorious for that crap. Cali UA fan is a basketball riding fanbase. It isn't their state, it isn't their battle. It's like the NFL...you can be a fan of a national team from afar.

If you stay in the state, you deal with ASU guy every day. It steels you. Arizona football may be more tragic than satisfactory, but it is our battle. I couldn't give two shits about Cali fan if they want to check out. And I don't mean that as disrespect to your friends...they have their own priorities. This is sport...there are no rules for fandom. But this is battleground, here...from North Phoenix to South Tucson. If your reside here, work here, and you care about your school...football is still relevant.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:I had a roommate at Arizona who was from Newport Beach, big USC family. Arizona would be scheduled to play them and we'd make bets on what jersey he'd wear or which side of the stadium he'd sit in.

Some people, man.
My best college friend's first dorm roommate was from north San Diego area. 4.5 years at UA. Just a whiner, and a guy we actively avoided for the last 3 years in school.

A peek on his Facebook shows he lives in the Valley (?...dude talked more s**t about the state, then he settles here?) and has ASU s**t all over his page. He lives here, so he can't ignore it or claim SDSU or USC or whatever...he is just a turncoat.

Even more reason to avoid that asshat...
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EVCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:I had a roommate at Arizona who was from Newport Beach, big USC family. Arizona would be scheduled to play them and we'd make bets on what jersey he'd wear or which side of the stadium he'd sit in.

Some people, man.
My best college friend's first dorm roommate was from north San Diego area. 4.5 years at UA. Just a whiner, and a guy we actively avoided for the last 3 years in school.

A peek on his Facebook shows he lives in the Valley (?...dude talked more s**t about the state, then he settles here?) and has ASU s**t all over his page. He lives here, so he can't ignore it or claim SDSU or USC or whatever...he is just a turncoat.

Even more reason to avoid that asshat...
EV that's fucking horrible.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I was a California student who was in Tucson for a grand total of 4 years. I’m a diehard Arizona football fan. For 11 years while teaching at an architecture school in Dubai I stayed up all or most of the night so I could watch games just to go teach the next morning on 0-3 hours of sleep. Anecdotes are useless for anything besides telling stories. But yeah, fuck those dudes who switched allegiances or completely turned their backs on the football program because it didn’t win enough for them.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Hundreds of tickets still left
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Just bought a ticket. Probably in a awful location, but what the hell. Ride or die.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Some people, man.
Somebody just ratted me out for this and I love whoever you are because I'm now texted Pete, talking shit directly, as appropriate.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

If anyone knows of a upload of the game late Sunday/Monday, it would be greatly appreciated.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Jefe wrote:Hundreds of tickets still left
I actually don't see that many. Probably around 100-200. ZonaZoo sold out their allotment in less than 24 hours, although I think they only had 500 available.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I was a California student who was in Tucson for a grand total of 4 years. I’m a diehard Arizona football fan. For 11 years while teaching at an architecture school in Dubai I stayed up all or most of the night so I could watch games just to go teach the next morning on 0-3 hours of sleep. Anecdotes are useless for anything besides telling stories. But yeah, fuck those dudes who switched allegiances or completely turned their backs on the football program because it didn’t win enough for them.
I agree on switching allegiances and think its complete chicken shit especially to switch to another PAC 12 school. Total horse crap

That being said, I completely understand my buddies who never felt much loyalty to our football team and turned their backs on it. Their response back would be "What has the football team ever done to earn that loyalty". Mind you we all started school in 1999 so our first game together as fans was Penn State. In our four years in school we were marginal to bad the entire time. There are no lasting memories of great wins like basketball ie rushing the court against Stanford, or that Stanford win where Michael Wright hit that post shot, or Salim going off against Kansas, or dominating Michigan State in the Final Four (Still my favorite day in college), or getting into an almost riot for student tickets in 2002, or winning the PAC 10 Tourney in 2002, or beating Illinois to make the final four in 2001, or beating Gonzaga in 2003 in the tourney, etc.

I remember us beating USC at USC in 2000 which was fun in football and nothing else really. I remember John Mackovic yelling Compete. Honestly the best memory I have of Arizona football when I was a student was that Penn State game as I remember waking up early to drink beers and watch it in Coronado.

Its not that Football didn't win enough, its that football has never done anything remarkable or special the past 20 years like Basketball has. Every time they have done something like 2014 beating ASU to make the PAC 12 championship game they absolutely shit the bed.

I have no ill will to someone who went to Arizona and could give two shits about our football program. It is a perfectly normal response to have based on our collective performance

The people who like Machina or Chief (Sorry for bringing him up) who talk trash about how rabid our fans are for basketball, make fun of the Red/Blue game and appear to like our football program more then our basketball program, I do not get at all.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Can someone let me know if Zeke is wearing KU gear. I expect a KU commit by the end of the month. TIA
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

enfuego wrote:Can someone let me know if Zeke is wearing KU gear. I expect a KU commit by the end of the month. TIA
Did the Adidas check clear?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

3 hours until the first look at 2018-19. This feels like the beginning of a new era.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Can someone let me know where I can watch this? Originally they said Pac12 Arizona but its not on.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Hoping to witness some version of a metamorphosis in form, not just the moving parts.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

No game thread? Damn, this must be a rebuilding year.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Hoping to be able to witness at all. Hey PAC-12 Network, don't shart your pants today, please.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

billk78 wrote:Can someone let me know where I can watch this? Originally they said Pac12 Arizona but its not on.
It shows on my guide that it will be on PAC-12 AZ.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

billk78 wrote:Can someone let me know where I can watch this? Originally they said Pac12 Arizona but its not on.
well that makes sense since it is only starting now
And yes on PAC12N and PAC12AZ
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

no omar btw, personal reasons
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Sean Miller making me love this program when I’m trying to just chill with low expectations.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

How did our jerseys get worse
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Brandon Williams wearing an Arizona jersey at McKale is a real treat.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

I kinda hate that Dylan is on our roster. Hopefully he plays well.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Blue team looks like a potential starting lineup
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Is there a radio broadcast that works? IMG is fucked right now.

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Nothing on xm, I have the whole package, couldn't find it on any of the Pac 12 channels. Poop.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Dylan Smith is still bleh, hopefully his minutes go to Doutrive & Barcello
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

On twitter:

Adam Green: Curious, where's Thielemans? I don't recall him being introduced.

Jason Scheer: The official reason is a personal issue.

Adam Green: Well ok then. Thanks for the update.

Jason Scheer: I would be surprised if he plays in any game.

Adam Green: This season or ever?

Jason Sheer: Ever.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Try Gizmo's site: http://i4atv.info/ggwpforum/?page=p12netw" target="_blank and login with dovecanyoncat password: oror1957 and see if it works. It's working for me on last years signup. Good Luck!

~ Wilhoit's Law
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Some nice pieces on the team. Feels good to say thinking of what could have been after that ESPN article. Sloppy seconds half though but it's "just practice" anyway. I think they will struggle early but I see a top 3 finish in the conference.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I honestly don't know much about Luther but if his a legit 3 point threat, it should open the offense up. Jeter and BW are my early favorites so far.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

azgreg wrote:On twitter:

Damn
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Impressed by:

Jeter. Very good on the glass and solid in the post. Doutrive. A little out of control, but a solid 4 year guy. Lee. Very active, looks smarter than last year. Akot. By far our best, most versatile defender.

Sort of to expectations:

Williams. You can see the talent. Hopefully the defensive lapses are curable. Coleman. Decent, but didn't really do much that stood out. Randolph. Shot was off, but he looked ok otherwise. Luther. Shot looked smooth, but didn't do a ton.

Disappointed:

Barcello. Did very little of note. Smith. Looked like he regressed.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Dylan Smith seems to play hero ball...without anything ever going in. I really hope he can get things sorted out. He needs to understand that we dont need him to shoot a bad 3 every time down the court. If he understands his role and makes better shots he could really help. If not, he's going to be one of the most hates players on this board this season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Wtf. I just hope it isn't criminal.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Well, bye.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Me too. Honestly, first thing that popped into my mind was Elliot Pitts
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I think he wants to go back home. Based on nothing really.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wtf. I just hope it isn't criminal.
he is still social mediaing it normally, so I doubt it is of that nature.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

Take aways for me:

1. Coleman
2. Williams
3. Akot
4. Luther
5. Jeter

Notable: Doutrive- I like him a lot (Jason Terryesque). Lee will be a significant contributor. Randolph seems like he's all show (hope I'm wrong). Smith is terrible. Barcello will be a great Cat before it's said and done- I feel like he will do more this year but still needs more seasoning.

I'm excited for this season. I think this is the type of team Miller can get more out of than most people think. It reminds me of the Parrom, Momo, Foggy, Dwill group. I don't know if we will make the Elite 8 but this group reminds me of that. Versatile, no dominant post, deep bench..

Now we just need to find a stopper. Who will be that guy.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

On pac12 TV right now
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I was there. Brought both my 6 year old and 3 year old boys.

Both wanted the posters hung in their rooms immediately upon returning home.

At bedtime my 3 yo wouldn’t stop talking about how Ira jumped over 3 people and that it was “very dangerous”. My 6 year old insisted that he should do 20 push-ups cause the blue ream lost. (Something Miller said the losing team had to do—not sure If it was broadcasted.)

Was a good day.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

That's awesome! Start em young.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.