The Weather is Crazy

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: The Weather is Crazy

Post by scumdevils86 »

Temp dropped to 36 last night and then stayed there while it rained. No snow in midtown :(
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My brother on the east side just texted me an image of his daughter's car with a good dusting of snow.

I left a day too early to see it but back to work tomorrow.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

4 inches last night!

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

no snow at my house and I haven't seen anywhere on the ground else around town so far today but I've driven by 30 cars that have several inches of snow on them
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yup not a flake between my house and work
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Flurries right now atSwan/River.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Nothing at Campbell/Ft Lowell, waah!
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Sunny on the west side, but that cloud sitting on the east side looks impressive!
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

It's down to 31 here in Central Phoenix, so we are feeling the weather too. I miss the snow in Tucson though. I could be guaranteed to see it at least once a year. I only have seen snow once in Phoenix since I moved here in '14,
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Catintheheat wrote:It's down to 31 here in Central Phoenix, so we are feeling the weather too. I miss the snow in Tucson though. I could be guaranteed to see it at least once a year. I only have seen snow once in Phoenix since I moved here in '14,
yeah I don't want an entire winter of temperatures in the twenties and thirties and snow and all that but I'd be happy if for like 2 or 3 weeks every winter in Tucson it was like in the thirties and forties with an inch or two of snow on the ground.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:It's down to 31 here in Central Phoenix, so we are feeling the weather too. I miss the snow in Tucson though. I could be guaranteed to see it at least once a year. I only have seen snow once in Phoenix since I moved here in '14,
yeah I don't want an entire winter of temperatures in the twenties and thirties and snow and all that but I'd be happy if for like 2 or 3 weeks every winter in Tucson it was like in the thirties and forties with an inch or two of snow on the ground.
That would destroy any citrus or any other tender plants like succulents. It's been down to the upper 20s the last couple nights where I live in Central Coastal California, and I have so many tender trees and plants I don't even bother covering any of them. Have 2 avocado trees that are really going to get some damage come spring along with an immature Cutie tangerine tree.

However, my deciduous fruit trees such as my 3 apples, plum, peach and cherry trees would love such a cold winter.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

They don't grow citrus in Arizona anymore really

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:They don't grow citrus in Arizona anymore really
That is true, at least commercially. The city bought up all the water rights from surrounding orchards and farms.

So much for the 5 C's of Arizona economy 1980's edition: Citrus, Cotton, Cattle, Copper and ???.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Climate

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
That is true, at least commercially. The city bought up all the water rights from surrounding orchards and farms.

So much for the 5 C's of Arizona economy 1980's edition: Citrus, Cotton, Cattle, Copper and ???.
Cocaine?

ASUHATER! wrote:
Holy shit. You all collectively as a city can’t drive for shit when it RAINS ..... now you want snow for three weeks???
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Tucson has great drivers compared to almost anywhere I've realized. People in Phoenix are lunatics.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:Tucson has great drivers compared to almost anywhere I've realized. People in Phoenix are lunatics.

2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Tucson has great drivers compared to almost anywhere I've realized. People in Phoenix are lunatics.

Cute. Phoenix tries to be east LA and fails horribly at it. Everyone up there goes 30 over the speed limit and cuts you off and gets immediate road rage and runs red lights. Tucson is laid back, relaxed, open and accepting, unlike the conservative suburban shithole that Phoenix is.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I have literally seen 5 vehicles run a single red light in Tucson during the last week at Wilmot and Speedway.

My wife and I both commented at Harrison and Broadway one time that: "OMG, no one ran the red light!"

More often than not, someone ran a red light at every intersection I was stopped at.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:
I have literally seen 5 vehicles run a single red light in Tucson during the last week at Wilmot and Speedway.

My wife and I both commented at Harrison and Broadway one time that: "OMG, no one ran the red light!"

More often than not, someone ran a red light at every intersection I was stopped at.
It's 30x worse in Phoenix

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Merkin wrote:

It's 30x worse in Phoenix
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I liked the light, but steady, snowfall we had for a little while this morning.

I also like not having to deal with constant ice, and all which comes with constant ice (been there, done that, no thanks if I have a choice in the matter).

I wouldn't mind if the snow came a little more frequently than once every 5-10 years, but anything more than a couple times a year I can do without. Upper 30s and mid 40s are great temps and I'd love it if we had an extended stretch of that weather.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Cocaine?

I don't do cocaine. I just like the way it smells.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Cold as fuck this morning and I don't like it one god damn bit.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Maybe Hater is thinking that with three weeks of snow the Snowbirds will go elsewhere thus upping the general awareness and skills of the local driving populace.

But the same phenomenon also kills the service based economy, so that’s no bueno.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:I liked the light, but steady, snowfall we had for a little while this morning.

I also like not having to deal with constant ice, and all which comes with constant ice (been there, done that, no thanks if I have a choice in the matter).

I wouldn't mind if the snow came a little more frequently than once every 5-10 years, but anything more than a couple times a year I can do without. Upper 30s and mid 40s are great temps and I'd love it if we had an extended stretch of that weather.
Agreed
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

I would never disagree with the latter, but love Tucson though I do, driving here is Russian roulette. Especially on two wheels.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Cocaine?

Corporate welfare.

BTW, Merkin nailed why Tucson drivers are worse than Phoenix. And Vegas drivers manage to suck worse than both.

I've never seen a city in which drivers are less aware of traffic lights than Tucson. You can't keep your eyes off the drivers anywhere. Only place in which I've ever been "brake-checked" (by some jackwagon in a white pickup on the south side).
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

catgrad97 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Cocaine?

Corporate welfare.

BTW, Merkin nailed why Tucson drivers are worse than Phoenix. And Vegas drivers manage to suck worse than both.

I've never seen a city in which drivers are less aware of traffic lights than Tucson. You can't keep your eyes off the drivers anywhere. Only place in which I've ever been "brake-checked" (by some jackwagon in a white pickup on the south side).
I find this hilarious since what you wrote describes Phoenix to me and not Tucson.

cpt

Post by cpt »

I've lived in both places and love both places. Good drivers in both places and shitty drivers in both places. Difference is Tucson's roads suck compared to Phoenix - it's not even close. Meaning Tucson is much less safe and way more of a pain in the ass to get around.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cats101

Post by cats101 »

cpt wrote:I've lived in both places and love both places. Good drivers in both places and shitty drivers in both places. Difference is Tucson's roads suck compared to Phoenix - it's not even close. Meaning Tucson is much less safe and way more of a pain in the ass to get around.
Agree with this. Used to live in Phoenix and the drivers are bad in both cities.

Just the other day in Tucson on Broadway and Alvernon going west where the turning Lane is terrible around 530 to go South. This lady decides to speed up and nearly rams into the back of the turning lane folks and then manages to try and get in my lane. She pulls up next to me and said "sorry I wasn't paying attention". You think!?!?

Anyway I live up in OV by 1st/Oracle and I haven't seen any snow.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

All these discussions about Phoenix v. Tucson. Here’s your Golden Take:

- Phoenix is bigger in a sprawling kind of way.

- Phoenix has El Bravo. Tucson has 23 miles of El Bravo, but better.

- Camelback Mountain and Piestewa Peak are beautiful. The Santa Catalinas are sublime.

Tucson wins. But they’re on 62 minutes apart by my count, so everyone can just enjoy life and not worry about it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My new PC wallpaper.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Phoenix native, lived there for 25 years.

Went to college and taught in Tucson for six years.

Spent my last month working in the latter scared to death I was going to be run off the I-10. See, I don't deny Phoenix has its crazy fast or disoriented old drivers. But I noticed something I didn't see in college at U of A when I worked down in Toos: they don't even watch for you merging onto the freeway down there--or anywhere else. Got rear-ended twice, both times sitting stock still in the turn lane at lights (Thornydale/Orange Grove and Grant/Swan).

In Phoenix, you can let the dangerous drivers go by giving them space, usually. Tucson...yeah, they're too often "not paying attention." To the lights or to you.

BTW, drove down the I-17 from Camp Verde to Surprise the whole duration of the snowstorm. In my 43 years in this state, I have never seen snow stick so far south along the freeway corridor (south of Bumble Bee), We crawled the whole 105-mile trip down at 25 to 40 mph. Parts of Sedona are still too slick to drive. Make no mistake: this was an unusual snowstorm. Even hit Lake Havasu City (first time since 1991).
cats101

Post by cats101 »

catgrad97 wrote:Phoenix native, lived there for 25 years.

Went to college and taught in Tucson for six years.

Spent my last month working in the latter scared to death I was going to be run off the I-10. See, I don't deny Phoenix has its crazy fast or disoriented old drivers. But I noticed something I didn't see in college at U of A when I worked down in Toos: they don't even watch for you merging onto the freeway down there--or anywhere else. Got rear-ended twice, both times sitting stock still in the turn lane at lights (Thornydale/Orange Grove and Grant/Swan).

In Phoenix, you can let the dangerous drivers go by giving them space, usually. Tucson...yeah, they're too often "not paying attention." To the lights or to you.

BTW, drove down the I-17 from Camp Verde to Surprise the whole duration of the snowstorm. In my 43 years in this state, I have never seen snow stick so far south along the freeway corridor (south of Bumble Bee), We crawled the whole 105-mile trip down at 25 to 40 mph. Parts of Sedona are still too slick to drive. Make no mistake: this was an unusual snowstorm. Even hit Lake Havasu City (first time since 1991).
Bolded is my biggest gripe. Just today on Grant/Craycroft is getting over into my lane without a signal or anything and I had to swerve so HE didn't hit me. Honestly, this seems to happen at least once a week. A lot of people seem to be in la la land when driving. Maybe it's the laid back vibe of Tucson, but, is it so hard to check your blind spots before you get over and run me into the next lane? I can't say I'm perfect, but after years of driving, I've at least learned to check blind spots or a simple signal to someone that I'm getting over.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Down right blazing outside, it'll be 45 by noon!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

49 right now in San Luis Obispo, and my office finally made it up to 60 degrees running 2 small space heaters. It was 57 when I came in this morning.

The campus shut down all heat during the break, and the west side of my building has yet to have any central heat.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Now imagine Mr./Mrs. Head In The Clouds not realizing there’s a red light or that someone’s next to them with snow collecting on the roadway.

Hater’s World is Thunderdome
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:Now imagine Mr./Mrs. Head In The Clouds not realizing there’s a red light or that someone’s next to them with snow collecting on the roadway.

Hater’s World is Thunderdome
Haha. I only said an occasional inch or two would be nice. Definitely don't want weeks or months of snow and ice.

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

40" of snow on Mt Lemmon
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Two days in a row with snow and then today still snow on the ground. That's a first.
-JB
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I didn’t even know there was a ski resort on Mt Lemmon. :shock:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I didn’t even know there was a ski resort on Mt Lemmon. :shock:
Most southern in the continental US too for that matter.

The one in Hawaii the most southern in the entire US.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I didn’t even know there was a ski resort on Mt Lemmon. :shock:
Well it's not a resort per se...it's 1 run with 1 chair lift and like 1 building that has a rental shop and a restaurant...and that's it.

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

It desperately needs to be developed but the owners up there want to keep it the way it is. Its a road & mountain biking mecca
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jefe wrote:
It desperately needs to be developed but the owners up there want to keep it the way it is. Its a road & mountain biking mecca

Then why don't the owners set it up for mountain biking in the summer, where you put your bike on the lift and ride trails down?

I did that at Winter Park and even Sunrise. Seems like a way to make more money in the offseason.
-JB
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

UAEebs86 wrote:Then why don't the owners set it up for mountain biking in the summer, where you put your bike on the lift and ride trails down?
I did that at Winter Park and even Sunrise. Seems like a way to make more money in the offseason.
Its been proposed but the lift is small and old and only goes to the top which doesn't connect to the existing trails that everyone rides. They would need a storefront for rentals/repairs and hire year round employees. There are a handful companies in Tucson that shuttle bikes/riders from the bottom to the top and back.

I have a group of friends that ride up there 30-40 weekends a year which is unheard of almost anywhere in the world. Nowhere else can you ride from pine trees to cactus with a 40° swing. Some friends and I seriously looked into this but you cannot buy land easily and it would take a massive build out with another lift to make it feasible. They also need a resort and Summerhaven cannot handle much more traffic than it already gets. It would really need to be a separate side of the mountain. They need to develop more trails at the top away from the hikers

I rode Sunrise as well, was a blast until I went over the handlebars.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Mt Lemmon was a zoo today. On the way down it was bumper to bumper all the way to Tanque Verde rd. Wish I was on my bike instead of my car