Nico Mannion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

billk78

Re: Nico Mannion

Post by billk78 »

Randolph makes some ding dong plays but there is a ton of potential there. If he can mature a little bit and learn to play smarter on the court he could be very good. There are just times where you wonder what he is thinking....like drivng into 4 defenders and throwing the ball up backwards behind his head. Other times you see a smart ISO drive where he totally beats his man and makes a nice shot off the glass. Just need consistency. Cut out the bad.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:Sometimes I wonder at your lack of knowledge about Hostess products.
You're all a bunch of elitists.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

He basically hit “game-winning” 3s twice. Nice.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

It has been a while since we've had a reliable last second clutch shooter.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:It has been a while since we've had a reliable last second clutch shooter.
Salim.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

He reminded me of Dylan Brooks a little in the highlights. Not sure why. Not as arrogant as Brooks came off.

Yes that would be great if he was as great a shooter as salim. Been 14 years since he left. Not many shooters that good period since that time.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Back to back 6A State Champs. Scored 42 in the semi's last weekend and 34 last night to clinch the title
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So so so excited about next year and seeing this guy. Will love to hear the comments when ESPIN broadcasts the McDonalds game. Our guys are going to do very well in that game. In fact I am betting we have the MVP of that game on our roster next year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Man...Nico is the real deal. He'd be all conference if he were playing in the Pac this year.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Beachcat97 wrote:Man...Nico is the real deal. He'd be all conference if he were playing in the Pac this year.
That's probably not as high acclaim as he is receiving this year. He'd probably be all Big12 this year.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Man...Nico is the real deal. He'd be all conference if he were playing in the Pac this year.
That's probably not as high acclaim as he is receiving this year. He'd probably be all Big12 this year.
I meant that statement in two ways: (1) Nico is good enough as a HS senior to be all league at the D-1 level and (2) the Pac is so watered down this year that he'd probably even be in the running for Pac POY.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ive watched this dunk about 20 times
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
I meant that statement in two ways: (1) Nico is good enough as a HS senior to be all league at the D-1 level and (2) the Pac is so watered down this year that he'd probably even be in the running for Pac POY.
Washington's live husky mascot is in the running for the Honorable Mention team. Take from it what you will.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Jefe wrote:Ive watched this dunk about 20 times
that dunk at 1:14 changed the game. Went from a 1 pt game to a blowout.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

EVCat wrote:
Jefe wrote:Ive watched this dunk about 20 times
that dunk at 1:14 changed the game. Went from a 1 pt game to a blowout.

:shock:

The Ginja Ninja!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Don’t we have another Ninja coming in?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Is Nico's teammate Trent Brown a preferred walk-on candidate?
https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2019/01/ ... ent-brown/" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote:Don’t we have another Ninja coming in?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:Is Nico's teammate Trent Brown a preferred walk-on candidate?
https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2019/01/ ... ent-brown/" target="_blank
I'm sure we'd take him in that role in a heartbeat, but I'm also sure the kid would rather play somewhere with a scholarship.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

one of the standouts at McD's - his basketball IQ is off the charts, creating good opportunities individually but more importantly making the game simpler and easier for others.

as these kids progress, and play with better and better players, the ability to slow down and simplify is a gift.

Mannion has that gift, the rare gift to make all those around him (ELITE caliber or not) better players while dictating pace and making the game easier for everyone.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:one of the standouts at McD's - his basketball IQ is off the charts, creating good opportunities individually but more importantly making the game simpler and easier for others.

as these kids progress, and play with better and better players, the ability to slow down and simplify is a gift.

Mannion has that gift, the rare gift to make all those around him (ELITE caliber or not) better players while dictating pace and making the game easier for everyone.
97, you're getting me really f***ing excited for next season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:one of the standouts at McD's - his basketball IQ is off the charts, creating good opportunities individually but more importantly making the game simpler and easier for others.

He's the real deal.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is it silly to ask if Nico could be in Tucson more than one year? Like, is his OAD status virtually a guarantee?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Is it silly to ask if Nico could be in Tucson more than one year? Like, is his OAD status virtually a guarantee?
I could see it both ways. He is really talented, but PG is the hardest position to be OAD, especially a true PG who won't necessarily hit people for 20 every game. Also, we have enough talent that he won't have to drop 20 a night

So, I don't know. If you have a OAD, you want it with his (and Josh Green's) mindset. They won't take from team goals to get individual ones.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Is it silly to ask if Nico could be in Tucson more than one year? Like, is his OAD status virtually a guarantee?
I could see it both ways. He is really talented, but PG is the hardest position to be OAD, especially a true PG who won't necessarily hit people for 20 every game. Also, we have enough talent that he won't have to drop 20 a night

So, I don't know. If you have a OAD, you want it with his (and Josh Green's) mindset. They won't take from team goals to get individual ones.
That makes sense, Spiff. But...PGs are dominating the NBA at the moment, with seemingly more getting drafted high each year (this year Ja Morant, last year Trae Young and Colin Sexton, year before that Lonzo, Fultz, and Fox). It's a good time to be a high level PG. The NBA is eager to give you work.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Again and again, Nico's the total package. He's a genuine PG who you can plug in to run things.

BWill is also pretty well situated in that aspect of things and the idea of him and Nico together where either one can seize the reins as needed really excites me.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Man...Nico, BW and JG...what a backcourt. Not sure what Randolph and Doutrive are planning to do, but if we keep either of them, our backcourt's that much deeper.

Can't imagine how excited Sean must be to get these guys on campus.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:Man...Nico, BW and JG...what a backcourt. Not sure what Randolph and Doutrive are planning to do, but if we keep either of them, our backcourt's that much deeper.

I hope we can keep Doutrive. He can develop into a fantastic role player. He's a nightmare matchup and can absolutely frustrate the hell out of opponents because of his offensive rebounding ability.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

If Nico has to waste 5+ seconds every time in the half court to look over at the bench to get calls from Miller it'll be such a huge waste of talent. Hopefully Miller trusts him and gives him the freedom to run the offense.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Man...Nico, BW and JG...what a backcourt. Not sure what Randolph and Doutrive are planning to do, but if we keep either of them, our backcourt's that much deeper.

I hope we can keep Doutrive. He can develop into a fantastic role player. He's a nightmare matchup and can absolutely frustrate the hell out of opponents because of his offensive rebounding ability.
I wouldn't get your hopes up.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

what a dumb, short-sighted decision that would be.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

NYCat wrote:If Nico has to waste 5+ seconds every time in the half court to look over at the bench to get calls from Miller it'll be such a huge waste of talent. Hopefully Miller trusts him and gives him the freedom to run the offense.
Yes he should take a page out of the ja Morant handbook. If there's an open man down court whip that thing to him for a bucket. That was one of the things that's been missing since tj, the long azz passes for quick buckets, just demoralizing for the other team.
-Norlander.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ChooChooCat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

Thanks Eeyore. You just ruined my night :D
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

zonagrad wrote:

Jason Scheer said on the radio that Randolph and Smith are gone and most likely Doutrive too. He did say Barcello will be staying.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Irish27 wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

Jason Scheer said on the radio that Randolph and Smith are gone and most likely Doutrive too. He did say Barcello will be staying.
Randolph might be the most disappointing player to suit up for Sean Miller at Arizona based on the hype he received before arriving.

It's a shame if Doutrive leaves, because his game still needs a ton of refining. And he could really develop into a special player for Arizona. With his athletic ability, he could be a great defender. This players are so damn impatient.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Nico Mannion had another excellent day at McD’s - I’m focused on that
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

I expected Randolph and Smith. Doutrive, I'm bummed about. Time could be there for him and he can develop into a really good 4 year guy for us.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Nico Mannion getting great reviews again this past week - best player on the world team all week in practice.

displayed the same in the game as well
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:Nico Mannion getting great reviews again this past week - best player on the world team all week in practice.

Here’s a fun one for you, 97: Nico is the best freshman PG coming into the Pac since __________.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
97cats wrote:Nico Mannion getting great reviews again this past week - best player on the world team all week in practice.

Here’s a fun one for you, 97: Nico is the best freshman PG coming into the Pac since __________.
Jason Kidd
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Mike Bibby
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Jerryd Bayless
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jason Gardner was national FOY. Unfortunately he never got any better.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Parker Jackson-Cartwright
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Greatest Ginger of all time?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Parker Jackson-Cartwright
:lol:

Love ya, PJC.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:Greatest Ginger of all time?
Chase Budinger says hi.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Jason Terry