THE THE UCLA Bruins Discussion & Predictions Thread Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: THE THE UCLA Bruins Discussion & Predictions Thread Thre

Post by azcat49 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
NYCat wrote:Sports Illustrated Week 10 CFB Picks

Everyone picks Arizona.
that's surprising to me. I'd have thought we'd be a very popular pick to be upset this week.

We are 6.5 dogs. Not much of an upset when you are not favored nut I get where you are coming from
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

azgreg wrote:Pac-12 Week 10 predictions

Why UCLA will win: This feels a lot like 2012 -- a surging Arizona team coming to the Rose Bowl vs. a UCLA team that had had a couple of bad games. And we all remember what happened there (UCLA won 66-10). Different year, different players. I get all that. But last week was a wake-up call for the Bruins. This game is put-up or shut-up for them. -- Kevin Gemmell
I hate, HATE this type of writing. Yeah, the players are different, the circumstances of where the two programs are different, the result in 2012 wasn't really logical and should be considered an anomoly rather than a typical result even if the players and programs and years were the same, BUT...

But...

...but I'll make the comparison anyway and say "this feels a lot like 2012, when an abnormal result for even those teams in 2012 happened, which has even less of a connection to 2014 and would be far more abnormal, but I'll bring it up as something to consider because, well, the laundry was similar."

Hate that kind of analysis. Helmets don't have memory. Thigh pads don't remember what happened 2 years ago. The similarities between the personnel in this game and that game are next to completely different. But remember what oddly happened then, and extrapolate it out to be a reasonable factor now, because it is an easy write.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Only way to make them forget about 2012 is to put it on UCLA this year.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Gutty little Bruins trying like crazy to create the same magic that they had back in 2012 when Arizona visited the Rose Bowl. Busting out new Unis and calling the game a sell-out. Problem for the Bruins is Arizona is ready to play this game maybe more than any other game TY. That wasn't the case in '12 as we had kicked ucla's ass 5 straight. Arizona is ready to play this game and ucla should get Arizona's best effort of the season. Looking forward to Saturday night.

Bug, is that loser coach going to paint his face black again? I hope so - he looked like a complete douche bag the last time he did it. I mean if you're trying to duplicate the '12 game, this loser has to paint his face black again doesn't he?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Anytime the football program starts receiving any media attention, that's the moment when they come out, bend over and let the opposition take what they want.

Looking at the last two matchups vs UCLA - the previous games prior where though hard fought games. In 2012 they just beaten the then #10 USC Trojans in a close game. 2013 escaping with a W @ Cal in a close game to the end. Maybe the blowout win this year prior to UCLA will benefit the team.

The game will come down to the game plan Rich Rod & Casteel have. If you look at the best wins by the team, the ones where they have looked their best have been with more then one week to prepare (UNLV, Oregon, Washington State).

As opposed to when they had a week +/- (USC/UTSA) they didn't play their best. UTSA, Nevada, Cal, USC they struggled early and didn't look very good from the start. They did win all of those save for a USC on a last second missed FG retry, Cal & USC being comebacks - Nevada & UTSA holding on to win.

Everything about this season tells me that with one week to prepare, the Cats will need 2nd half adjustmemes to win. Can they do at that at UCLA, against Hundley who's best game is short throws and scrambles. Can the abysmal offensive line give him time to throw. The rush defense is just not good, especially against the power teams -- Perkins their main rusher isn't one. But Hundley, and god forbid they bust out Jack (who hasn't been used as much) again would be tough to stop.

Anyway final random thoughts, I'm all jacked up on mountain dew yo

--
Should be a close game
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

dc4azcats wrote:Gutty little Bruins trying like crazy to create the same magic that they had back in 2012 when Arizona visited the Rose Bowl. Busting out new Unis and calling the game a sell-out. Problem for the Bruins is Arizona is ready to play this game maybe more than any other game TY. That wasn't the case in '12 as we had kicked ucla's ass 5 straight. Arizona is ready to play this game and ucla should get Arizona's best effort of the season. Looking forward to Saturday night.

Bug, is that loser coach going to paint his face black again? I hope so - he looked like a complete douche bag the last time he did it. I mean if you're trying to duplicate the '12 game, this loser has to paint his face black again doesn't he?
Have you been drinking? This are some...odd...comments. not sure how to respond

Tickets are limited FYI.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

dc4azcats wrote:
Gotta admit that was the first time I've ever seen a coordinator level coach paint his face for the game. My guess is with Anu, Austin, Cayleb, Davonte, TGJ, Wilson and company coming to town he doesn't have the stones to paint up for this game.

Just a guess...
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:Gutty little Bruins trying like crazy to create the same magic that they had back in 2012 when Arizona visited the Rose Bowl. Busting out new Unis and calling the game a sell-out. Problem for the Bruins is Arizona is ready to play this game maybe more than any other game TY. That wasn't the case in '12 as we had kicked ucla's ass 5 straight. Arizona is ready to play this game and ucla should get Arizona's best effort of the season. Looking forward to Saturday night.

Tickets are limited FYI.
Lighten up - does this game have your panties in a twist. It's an Arizona board and the coach who painted his face black was indeed a douche bag. Bruin fan might've thought it was cool and he's your coach so that's on you guys.

Did Ucla not introduce new jerseys the last time we played back in '12? Are you introducing new jerseys again this Sat night? Are you with me so far?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

dc4azcats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:

Tickets are limited FYI.
Lighten up - does this game have your panties in a twist. It's an Arizona board and the coach who painted his face black was indeed a douche bag. Bruin fan might've thought it was cool and he's your coach so that's on you guys.

Did Ucla not introduce new jerseys the last time we played back in '12? Are you introducing new jerseys again this Sat night? Are you with me so far?
It's been stated quote a few times in this thread. LA Steel jerseys, slight variation of jerseys from before

As for painting a face, not sure that qualifies as being a douche bag. Perhaps your projecting the panties in a bunch feeling after the last two games? Perhaps your anger from the past two games should be directed at your own team and not a positional coach who painted his face black.

But that's just me
Last edited by MrBug708 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

wyo-cat wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
Gotta admit that was the first time I've ever seen a coordinator level coach paint his face for the game. My guess is with Anu, Austin, Cayleb, Davonte, TGJ, Wilson and company coming to town he doesn't have the stones to paint up for this game.

Just a guess...
Me too. But I doubt he's worried about his stones. He played in the nfl for a decade which seems to take some level of courage
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Good luck tomorrow guys! Hope it's a ucla blowout but it just hasn't been our year
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Bug, you ok? 3 straight posts almost qualifies as talking to yourself LOL.

I I think we are in for a tough game which I think we can win late. UCLA Seems cornered and will be ready. Once Mora signed on I felt it would be 4 years before we caught up. Expecting RR has accelerated that time frame
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Multi quote is harder on a phone...lol
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

MrBug708 wrote:Good luck tomorrow guys! Hope it's a ucla blowout but it just hasn't been our year
Bug it was always going to be an up hill battle for us, but now its a little worse because we're down two starters as best as I can tell and the 2nd string guy replacing Bondo is a pretty sizable drop-off. Our D is much much better when Bondo is on the field.

Cam Denson at Corner is young (true freshmen) but super talented and he'll be replacing McCall. He's is going to have to grow up quick. I expect Hundley to start on his side of the field and see how much success he has.

I don't think there is going to be any kind of a blowout. UCLA is a wounded animal fighting for their season and we are on the cusp of something that might come our way every decade if ever.

This is going to be a hard hitting clinic of who wants it most. I expect an injury or two from both teams due to the physical nature of the game. We can ill afford any of those as we are already depth deprived.

Cats win it on a FG and the dream season lives on.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:

Tickets are limited FYI.

It's been stated quote a few times in this thread. LA Steel jerseys, slight variation of jerseys from before

As for painting a face, not sure that qualifies as being a douche bag. Perhaps your projecting the panties in a bunch feeling after the last two games? Perhaps your anger from the past two games should be directed at your own team and not a positional coach who painted his face black.

But that's just me
So Bug - did Ucla introduce new jerseys or not when we played them in 2012? Wasn't it a "black out"? Are you guys introducing a new uni tomorrow night as well? If I'm wrong in this assessment then let me know and I'll apologize for getting it wrong? Seems you guys like to introduce new unis when you play Arizona or am I mistaken with that as well?

As for the coach who wears black paint - I seriously don't care if he played in the NFL or not - still think it was a douche bag thing to do but as I have already said - if you like the guy and think he's all that then that's great for you and Bruin fan. Seriously. But that doesn't mean I have to like the guy and I seriously don't get why you're trying to defend the guy because it's not going to change how I feel. I get it's your school and I get it's "your coach". It's an Arizona Board and I'm an Arizona fan which goes back to my "lighten up" post. Were you waiting for me to say that I think the guy was super cool for wearing black paint?

I don't have any anger, I hope the guy wears the black paint again and I hope we beat Ucla like a rented mule. :D
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Good luck tomorrow guys! Hope it's a ucla blowout but it just hasn't been our year
Bug it was always going to be an up hill battle for us, but now its a little worse because we're down two starters as best as I can tell and the 2nd string guy replacing Bondo is a pretty sizable drop-off. Our D is much much better when Bondo is on the field.

Cam Denson at Corner is young (true freshmen) but super talented and he'll be replacing McCall. He's is going to have to grow up quick. I expect Hundley to start on his side of the field and see how much success he has.

I don't think there is going to be any kind of a blowout. UCLA is a wounded animal fighting for their season and we are on the cusp of something that might come our way every decade if ever.
This is going to be a hard hitting clinic of who wants it most. I expect an injury or two from both teams due to the physical nature of the game. We can ill afford any of those as we are already depth deprived.

Cats win it on a FG and the dream season lives on.
I'm trying to understand what you're saying in this post? Are you saying that we might not be vying for a South Crown, playoff spot etc for another decade or ever? Curious because we have a RS frosh QB, a true frosh RB, lots of young very talented players at the wr position, and lots of young talent along the OL, if we aren't better next year and the year after that then something has gone terribly wrong. We have 70(?) underclassmen on this team right now and you think this is a one shot deal? Or were you just trying to make Bug feel better?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

DC is ready!!! If the team is as fired up as he is we will be fine. I agree with both his points, our future is bright and that UCLA paint wearing fool is a d-bag
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

dc4azcats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:

Tickets are limited FYI.

But that's just me
So Bug - did Ucla introduce new jerseys or not when we played them in 2012? Wasn't it a "black out"? Are you guys introducing a new uni tomorrow night as well? If I'm wrong in this assessment then let me know and I'll apologize for getting it wrong? Seems you guys like to introduce new unis when you play Arizona or am I mistaken with that as well?

As for the coach who wears black paint - I seriously don't care if he played in the NFL or not - still think it was a douche bag thing to do but as I have already said - if you like the guy and think he's all that then that's great for you and Bruin fan. Seriously. But that doesn't mean I have to like the guy and I seriously don't get why you're trying to defend the guy because it's not going to change how I feel. I get it's your school and I get it's "your coach". It's an Arizona Board and I'm an Arizona fan which goes back to my "lighten up" post. Were you waiting for me to say that I think the guy was super cool for wearing black paint?

I don't have any anger, I hope the guy wears the black paint again and I hope we beat Ucla like a rented mule. :D
It's more like a who cares if he did or not. It's like being pissed at the band for playing a beatles song.

As for the uniforms, it's not planned before the season in some Arizona conspiracy theory. After the white uniform debacle of usc and 50-0, they decided to try black and not pick a rivalry game. So they had to wait for a mid season game in the evening. Arizona happened to fit the bill in 2012 and again in 2014. Perhaps if we had a less compelling opponent around homecoming, we'd bring it out for them, but here we sit. Sorry if it's not actually a conspiracy to replicate the win two years ago, face painting notwithstanding.

You seem to have irrational and unsubstantiated hatred going on in th is game. Do I need to recruit some ucla fans here to say some stupid things so you can go off on something more appropriate? Let me see...Do I need to ask a question about which arizona player will be sent back in with a concussion? Is this the first ucla Arizona game in three years where Arizona will have the better running back on the field? Does that help you get more pissed off at the game? ;)
Last edited by MrBug708 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

And if you are going to grandstand the whole situation with your mock outrage, get the story right. Most of the coaching staff wore the face paint

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/11/4/35974 ... int-photos
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:And if you are going to grandstand the whole situation with your mock outrage, get the story right. Most of the coaching staff wore the face paint

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/11/4/35974 ... int-photos
That makes it even better. Nice effort by the Ucla staff. I really hope they do it again - I'm sure it fires up the players and fans alike. :D
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

That position coach, Jeff Ulbrich, is now our much maligned DC, fwiw
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:[So Bug - did Ucla introduce new jerseys or not when we played them in 2012? Wasn't it a "black out"? Are you guys introducing a new uni tomorrow night as well? If I'm wrong in this assessment then let me know and I'll apologize for getting it wrong? Seems you guys like to introduce new unis when you play Arizona or am I mistaken with that as well?

It's more like a who cares if he did or not. It's like being pissed at the band for playing a beatles song.

As for the uniforms, it's not planned before the season in some Arizona conspiracy theory. After the white uniform debacle of usc and 50-0, they decided to try black and not pick a rivalry game. So they had to wait for a mid season game in the evening. Arizona happened to fit the bill in 2012 and again in 2014. Perhaps if we had a less compelling opponent around homecoming, we'd bring it out for them, but here we sit. Sorry if it's not actually a conspiracy to replicate the win two years ago, face painting notwithstanding.

You seem to have irrational and unsubstantiated hatred going on in th is game. Do I need to recruit some ucla fans here to say some stupid things so you can go off on something more appropriate? Let me see...Do I need to ask a question about which arizona player will be sent back in with a concussion? Is this the first ucla Arizona game in three years where Arizona will have the better running back on the field? Does that help you get more pissed off at the game? ;)
So you're saying Ucla gets all fired up and sells out the Rose Bowl for every game not just the Arizona game, has new unis for every game and not just when it plays Arizona, and the coaches, pull the bush league stunt at best, of painting their faces for every game and I'm an idiot for thinking otherwise? My bad. That's all you had to say.

Do you have pics from the other games when the coaches wore the black paint and you guys had new Unis - would love to see those some time. How many different Uni combos do you have? Besides the black that you wore in '12 and the "slight variation" that's coming out tomorrow along with your normal blue and gold combo? Thanks in advance.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA has worn alternate jerseys since 2011. They first time was the all whites vs USC and they were blown out 50-0, but that was under Neu and which led to his firing. Then in 2012, UCLA and ADIDAS wanted to try a different alternate jersey, since the kids like it. So they went with a dark navy blue. They had two choices for an "LA Nights" game and it was vs Houston in September or vs Arizona on homecoming. Kind of hard to do "LA Nights at a 4:30 kickoff game, right? So it was vs Arizona and the coaches got into it. In 2013, they wore black jerseys twice. I know it's hard to believe, but the coaches didn't wear face paint for either game. Homecoming was against Colorado, but since they had a nationally televised game on a Friday night vs UW, they picked UW and Colorado ended up getting an afternoon start time anyways. UCLA won that game. Because of the popularity of the black jerseys and because the team liked wearing them, they also wore them in the bowl game. (No Arizona again). This year, they have three home games that have a night starting time, but because Arizona is homecoming, they get the game again. It's not some sinister ploy to try and replicate a prior beatdown of Arizona, but as I said, if you want to keep that irrational and unsubstantiated theory, but all means. I wouldnt be surprised to see us wear alternates in the bowl game either, but it could also depend on the bowl bid we receive.

Hope this helps. Any other crazy theories I can assist with? :)
Augdogs

Post by Augdogs »

ESPN Gameday continues to look like assholes.

Corso- UCLA is going to beat Arizona State tonight (while everyone jumped his senile old ass reminding him it was Arizona)

Not bad, Howard said Greg Hundley was the key leading UCLA's offense (but he did pick Arizona to win)
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Augie, you yourself went Lee Corso. Who is Greg Hundley? You,mean Brett right, the UCLA QB
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Serously, Fuck corso.

Watching game day with a HUGE LSU fan and he ever states "They make that mistake a lot for you guys don't they?"
Augdogs

Post by Augdogs »

azcat49 wrote:Augie, you yourself went Lee Corso. Who is Greg Hundley? You,mean Brett right, the UCLA QB
That's exactly what Deon Howard said..not me
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is it gametime yet?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Augdogs wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Augie, you yourself went Lee Corso. Who is Greg Hundley? You,mean Brett right, the UCLA QB
Aug you are too funny. Who is Deon Howard, you mean Desmond don't you?
Augdogs

Post by Augdogs »

azcat49 wrote:
Augdogs wrote:
Aug you are too funny. Who is Deon Howard, you mean Desmond don't you?
Nope, if ESPN cannot respect out league why should I?

And yes, Deon Howard did call him Greg Hundley, not me JO.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I like that Augs
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Brad Paisley just took a lame swipe at RichRod.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Desmond picks UofA...so does Kirk.

WV fans booing....too funny.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Paisley says we'll never get over it, tries to rile up the WVU fans.

Then when Herbie says he's a great coach, Paisley says he's "overrated".

Then why are you mad that he left? :lol:
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I hope RichRod is watching.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I used to like Brad Paisley.
Augdogs

Post by Augdogs »

Brad Paisley, incest, ginseng, and Mountain Dew

Only in West Virgina
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I really hate to rain on the "Bruins are trembling in fear as they face our mighty Wildcats" parade that suggests "UCLA is SO desperate that they are pulling out ALL the gimmicky stops they can to re-create that 2012 magic". I mean, it reads for such good smack on a fan message board and all. :roll:

But I suspect the "LA Steel uniforms" and sellout has almost everything to do with this being UCLA's homecoming and very little to do with who they are facing.

2012 had NOTHING to do with prior years because you had 2 new head coaches with entirely new staffs and schemes. So the last 2 years would have more bearing on this game than any prior years, because you at least have those common threads.

That said, I think we have a better team that has stayed focused and risen to the occasion each week, even though we have not always played perfectly. I expect us to win this game, unless we beat ourselves like we did against USC with turnovers and red zone failures.

The opponent that scares me is one with the size and strength to control the LOS, and judging from Hundley's sack totals - I do not think UCLA is that team. The ONLY game I expect us to lose is at Utah... but we'll worry about that next week.

Cats 41-31
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Harvey Specter wrote:I really hate to rain on the "Bruins are trembling in fear as they face our mighty Wildcats" parade that suggests "UCLA is SO desperate that they are pulling out ALL the gimmicky stops they can to re-create that 2012 magic". I mean, it reads for such good smack on a fan message board and all. :roll:

But I suspect the "LA Steel uniforms" and sellout has almost everything to do with this being UCLA's homecoming and very little to do with who they are facing.

2012 had NOTHING to do with prior years because you had 2 new head coaches with entirely new staffs and schemes. So the last 2 years would have more bearing on this game than any prior years, because you at least have those common threads.

That said, I think we have a better team that has stayed focused and risen to the occasion each week, even though we have not always played perfectly. I expect us to win this game, unless we beat ourselves like we did against USC with turnovers and red zone failures.

The opponent that scares me is one with the size and strength to control the LOS, and judging from Hundley's sack totals - I do not think UCLA is that team. The ONLY game I expect us to lose is at Utah... but we'll worry about that next week.

Cats 41-31
So the previous 5 years where we had kicked the crap out of ucla had nothing to do with that game? Interesting.

For the record I was trying to have a little fun with Bug. He didn't get it and got all butt hurt about it. No biggie. I still think the coach who painted is face is a douche bag and I hope we put a 70 on the Bruins tonight.
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

Only 70? I want a 100.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

I have bragging rights and 5 bucks on this game. My brother (graduated in June from UCLA) always gives me shit about losing to UCLA in the PAC12 tourney, I shudder to thing of the shittalking that will ensue this Thanksgiving if we lose this game. Must win for South Divisional hopes, must win for personal reasons. BEAR DOWN!!!
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

catgrad97 wrote:"Basically, UCLA is soft and poorly prepared."

How many years have Arizona fans heard those words in pregame scouting reports when Arizona had the better record.

Then the Bruins would wake up, end the dream and back their way into whatever bowl they felt like making the rest of the year.

Tired of having Arizona football's ceiling being determined by Los Angeles. Cats need to make the statement of the RichRod era Saturday.
Exactly what I was getting at earlier in this thread. Win the damn game.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Yup douche bag face paint!!!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

3goggles wrote:Yup douche bag face paint!!!
In game discussion here 3G: http://forum.prodigaleyelid.com/viewtop ... =30&t=1188
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Holy shit is this game hard to watch.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

maybe our coaches should put on some stupid face paint, then maybe they could beat ucla
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update: