44 Days Coach DeMarco Murray

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

44 Days Coach DeMarco Murray

Post by ANGCatFan »

Coach Murray is in his first year of coaching anywhere after an outstanding high school, college, and pro career as a running back. He is a 3 time Pro Bowl selection and was the NFL offensive POY in 2014.

Coach Sumlin recruited Murray to Oklahoma where he not only excelled on the field, but Murray was a 4 year All-Big 12 Academic honoree. Murray spent last year as a TV analyst before Coach Sumlin convinced him to join the staff.

Coach Murray gave a video interview during spring practice which is posted and transcribed at AZ Desert Swarm. Here are a couple highlights:
Q: What would you say is the main reason that you decided to get into coaching?

A: I think the main reason was just having a chance to relate to kids. I mean, I’ve had a foundation my entire life, my entire career. Also having the opportunity to work with Coach Sumlin. I’ve known him since I was 17 years old, great guy and we’ve always stayed in touch, [even] after he went to Houston and after I graduated. The two factors of knowing him and knowing that this team is a great team. They had a lot of young players, J.J. [Taylor], a whole stable of backs. To have an opportunity to come in coach at such a young age and kind of get going and learn from a guy like Coach Sumlin and Coach [Noel] Mazzone was something that impacted the decision.

Q: How would you describe your coaching style so far, especially in regards to your playing career and the respect your name carries?

A: I would say I’m laid back until I’m not when they make a mistake, or if they do something I feel they shouldn’t. I’m not a big yeller, not a screamer. For me, it’s just about teaching them the right things, the right mechanics of the game, making sure they take what we learn in the classroom and put it on the field. Some guys learn better on film, some learn better from reps, so I try and find who’s good at what, so I can get better and let them get better.

Q: Coach Sumlin has said he’ll put you in charge of recruiting cities like Dallas and Las Vegas. What is your message to recruits in the Southwest on why they should come to Arizona?

A: I’m new to this deal. I’ve got Dallas, I’ve got Las Vegas, and I’ve also got Tucson. If you want to play for the right guy with the right attitude, a winning personality, that’s Coach Sumlin. Look at what he’s done at Houston, look at what he’s done at [Texas] A&M. Last year was his first year, he kind of got into it late, but he’s starting to build with the right pieces, the right kind of players.

Q: What is the main message you convey to your running back room?

A: Compete at a high level. The game can be taken away so drastically, and you gotta be able to compete and have fun. At the end of the day I want my guys to work hard, play hard, and compete at a high level. For a running back, blocking, running, catching, I want a guy who can do all three things, a guy who can do it all. We have a lot of great backs who are doing an amazing job this spring, competing, and doing a lot of the right things on and off the field.
Murray will be the running backs coach as well as coaching return men on special teams.

Yes, he was an exceptional player, but can he coach? Based on the this short video from the spring, I'm betting Murray is going to be a great coach and not just for the running backs. Listen to the time he spends with Tate during warm-ups. Coach Sumlin has certainly talked to Murray about helping Tate to understand what it take to be a leader and a pro.

44-15 was Arizona's score against Oregon last year and the most points we scored in a conference game.
azgreg

Re: 44 Days Coach DeMarco Murray

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Good for him. No idea why he came here in the first place
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Damn it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Logical move but that is also just who we are
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

That is a huge loss. Expect decommitments. He is going to a great running back school. Good luck.