(M) Game 29, Arizona at UCLA (2019-2020)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: (M) Game 29, Arizona at UCLA (2019-2020)

Post by dmjcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:We got absolutely bent over by the refs tonight.
No, we CHOKED the f^cking game away.

The non-call on Nico that set Miller off was correct. The shot was cleanly blocked.

Throw in a lot of stupid fouls by Ira Lee (and Dylan) and of course there was a foul discrepancy
Dave

Post by Dave »

Miller needs to rip these refs a new one. Who cares about the fines!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

We need more RJ!

One of the problems is that Nico disappears at the end of games when he should be stepping up and leading his team to victory.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

UCLA got three huge bucket by their guys down the stretch.

AZ dribbled it off their foot, stepped out of bounds, threw it off somebody's leg- I don't want to hear shit about the refs.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:We've had like 8 game losing collapses in the last minute or two of games this season. Just no fortitude or ability to be clutch at all on this team.
I was in something that got out with 2 min to go listening on radio and totally knew this was gonna happen.

Performance starts at the top
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

84Cat wrote:We need more RJ!

One of the problems is that Nico disappears at the end of games when he should be stepping up and leading his team to victory.
That's why he should be nowhere near a draft combine this summer.

But he will be. So will Nnaji. Green too, concussion protocols permitting.

After going out in the first round of the conference and NCAA tournaments. A Player's Program!

We're getting played, all right.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Bordercat wrote:UCLA got three huge bucket by their guys down the stretch.

AZ dribbled it off their foot, stepped out of bounds, threw it off somebody's leg- I don't want to hear shit about the refs.

This.

Nico had his best game in a LONG while but failed to step up at the end. He should have taken the ball away from Dylan/Max and not deferred to them.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

38-16 free throw attempts. PAC 12 should be fucking embarrassed. I hope Miller absolutely goes off after the game.

Don’t drag the argument about play down the stretch. It’s irrelevant. Regardless the outcome, that was an embarrassment by the officials. UCLA plays a style that commits a ton of fouls. That was just brutal.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yeah those two turnovers in the last minute we’re totally in the refs hands.

We fucking suck. Thats all there is to it.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Play down the stretch was irrelevant?

A well-coached team doesn't go 0-for-the-final-two-minutes while committing nothing but unforced errors in that same stretch.

Nobody is downplaying the FT shooting discrepancy, but this team had every chance to salt away the lead in spite of that. Our offensive execution was just horrific.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

CalStateTempe wrote:Yeah those two turnovers in the last minute we’re totally in the refs hands.

Didn’t say we didn’t shit the bed. But a 22 FT disparity in a tight game is a travesty. The conference should be embarrassed.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Sorry dude, I appreciate your opinion, but I don’t live in a world with excuses.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Man, it is getting difficult to be optimistic, I seriously think we could lose the next 3 games and go to the nit.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

zonagrad wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Yeah those two turnovers in the last minute we’re totally in the refs hands.

Didn’t say we didn’t shit the bed. But a 22 FT disparity in a tight game is a travesty. The conference should be embarrassed.
If we don't want a huge FT disparity then we should STOP fouling. Both Ira and Dylan were foul machines out there tonight. Ira seems to think he is on a rugby team.

The Cats choked this one away......Period. The refs had nothing to do with 3 straight choke-job turnovers.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Dang it, then I'm gonna have to keep this stupid signature that flippin r&f wrote for me last year.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

dmjcat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

If we don't want a huge FT disparity then we should STOP fouling. Both Ira and Dylan were foul machines out there tonight. Ira seems to think he is on a rugby team.

The Cats choked this one away......Period. The refs had nothing to do with 3 straight choke-job turnovers.
You’re missing the point. It’s quite possible for the refs to perform terribly and Arizona still be responsible for the loss because of their play. They’re not mutually exclusive.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

CalStateTempe wrote:Sorry dude, I appreciate your opinion, but I don’t live in a world with excuses.
Hahahahahahaha.
What a fucking douchebag comment.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Blaming the refs for that loss and many of the losses this season is an excuse.

And the only one you go to after each “last second” shot game.

Your correct, us sucking and the refs sucking an arn’t mutually exclusive.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

zonagrad wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

You’re missing the point. It’s quite possible for the refs to perform terribly and Arizona still be responsible for the loss because of their play. They’re not mutually exclusive.
I understand your point Zonagrad but when Ira Lee is throwing people around like sacks of rice there isn't much the refs can do but call fouls. All the talk about the disparity in fouls misses the point that we FOULED them...we fouled the hell out of them. We got out of position, reached, and just committed some REALLY stupid fouls.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

zonagrad wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Sorry dude, I appreciate your opinion, but I don’t live in a world with excuses.
Hahahahahahaha.
What a fucking douchebag comment.
Nothing douchey about it. You can send a tape to the league office and publicly call out the officiating, hell scream until you get fined if you're Miller.

That won't do a thing to change the result on the floor. Nor should it. In the final two minutes, this team plain choked away its lead it held for 30 minutes tonight, regardless of the FTs.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

So I got busy doing other things, and missed the game.

From the looks of it, that was probably a good thing.

Since I hate watching us implode, and I also hate bad officiating.

At least we didn't get blown out and lose by 30.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Three bonehead plays by 3 transfers too, not freshman mistakes nor due to any bad calls.

UA had a 6 point lead, even during the stretch of bad officiating, then lost the game all on their own.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:

Three bonehead plays by 3 transfers too, not freshman mistakes nor due to any bad calls.

UA had a 6 point lead, even during the stretch of bad officiating, then lost the game all on their own.

The BS calls on Nnaji and Gettings when we had the lead changed the complexion of the game.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not saying the refs didn't have an impact, they most certainly did. However, the Cats could have still won besides them.

Especially the 3 TOs by our seniors.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Merkin wrote:Not saying the refs didn't have an impact, they most certainly did. However, the Cats could have still won besides them.

Especially the 3 TOs by our seniors.
I totally agree. That summation of our last possessions shows we just choked. The refs did have an influence but our late game mental flatulence is why we lost.