Where College Football Means the Most

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Where College Football Means the Most

Post by gumby »

Cool NYT graphic. Very light in the West (outside of Eugene). I'd imagine a hoops version would show dark colors in Tucson and light colors elsewhere in the West.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/08/upsho ... 0002&abg=0

SEC? Yeah, bit crazed. Sure explains why most of the attention is east of the Mississippi. Fresno outpaces anywhere else in California. Texas is lighter than I would've expected.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Re: Where College Football Means the Most

Post by Merkin »

Texas is surprising.

Maybe they like HS football or the NFL better?

Larry Scott should take note on why he won't be getting SEC or Big-10 money from Directv.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I wonder how the map if affected by relying only on Facebook likes. Is liking something on Faccebook really an indication of whether one really likes something? I know there are a lot of things in life that I like, including college football, which I do not like on Facebook.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

I'm guessing that a lot of us could've predicted that map. At least the well domestically-traveled of us like myself.

Minnesota is a pro sports state all they way. Viking, vikings, vikings. Whereas for Iowa and Nebraska their Hawkeyes and Huskers act as the state's pro teams.

Arizona doesn't come across so binary - local pro or college - because beneath the PHX & Tucson sports media monopolization of the Suns/DBacks/Cards and Wildcats respectively, you have so many midwest transplants bringing along their allegiances to the Packers, Viking, Badgers, Jayhawks, Nittany Lions, etc.
And I said, ‘That last thing is what you can't get...Nobody can get to that last thing. We keep on living in hopes of catching it once and for all.’ Jack Kerouac, On The Road
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Puerco wrote:I wonder how the map if affected by relying only on Facebook likes. Is liking something on Faccebook really an indication of whether one really likes something? I know there are a lot of things in life that I like, including college football, which I do not like on Facebook.
It's not science, but it rings true. Have a Nebraska family across the street. None of them graduated from there, but holy cow! Entire state is on that bandwagon.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:
Puerco wrote:I wonder how the map if affected by relying only on Facebook likes. Is liking something on Faccebook really an indication of whether one really likes something? I know there are a lot of things in life that I like, including college football, which I do not like on Facebook.
It's not science, but it rings true. Have a Nebraska family across the street. None of them graduated from there, but holy cow! Entire state is on that bandwagon.

I have some cousins that grew up in Ohio, very large family. Ended up in Tennessee. None of the boys went to college, yet all 4 of them wear tOSU shirts and caps in their group pictures.