Two-Deep

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCatInTheHat

Two-Deep

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

No, this isn't the official announcement, although maybe we can keep roster changes through the season here.

This is mostly my gripe about putting out a two-deep with a long list of specialty positions and copping-out with "OR" all over the place. The NFL has a 53-man roster. Is it asking too much for a college team to put out a two-deep of roughly that size? I think we pretty much know who the starters will be, so most of the intrigue will be in the jockeying for backup spots. Obviously, you need to list the holders and return guys in the kicking game, and I'm fine with listing something like an H-back on offense, and a nickel secondary guy on defense. But when you list five or six specialty positions in each phase of the game with goofy names for something you're only going to do for a few snaps a game (if that), it gets to the point of being a little ridiculous. (And that's exactly what BYU did.) So in that case, some kid gets to phone home: "Mom! Dad! I made the two-deep! I go in when we run a flanker reverse option pass as the lead blocker...I guess because I'm expendable. So I'm on the two-deep at the BadAss position!" Great. And, as far as I'm concerned, Cruz starts the game, so he's first string, and Plummer is first off the bench, so he's second-string. I don't care if their minutes and snaps are identical; there's no "OR" there. And that should be the case for the whole two-deep. Who starts, and who's first off the bench at each position. I don't think a position coach is going to flip a coin or decide in the heat of battle based on who's been cheering the loudest on the sideline.

I'm sure they know, but they just don't want unhappy players or helicopter parents.
MountainCat

Re: Two-Deep

Post by MountainCat »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:24 am No, this isn't the official announcement, although maybe we can keep roster changes through the season here.

This is mostly my gripe about putting out a two-deep with a long list of specialty positions and copping-out with "OR" all over the place. The NFL has a 53-man roster. Is it asking too much for a college team to put out a two-deep of roughly that size? I think we pretty much know who the starters will be, so most of the intrigue will be in the jockeying for backup spots. Obviously, you need to list the holders and return guys in the kicking game, and I'm fine with listing something like an H-back on offense, and a nickel secondary guy on defense. But when you list five or six specialty positions in each phase of the game with goofy names for something you're only going to do for a few snaps a game (if that), it gets to the point of being a little ridiculous. (And that's exactly what BYU did.) So in that case, some kid gets to phone home: "Mom! Dad! I made the two-deep! I go in when we run a flanker reverse option pass as the lead blocker...I guess because I'm expendable. So I'm on the two-deep at the BadAss position!" Great. And, as far as I'm concerned, Cruz starts the game, so he's first string, and Plummer is first off the bench, so he's second-string. I don't care if their minutes and snaps are identical; there's no "OR" there. And that should be the case for the whole two-deep. Who starts, and who's first off the bench at each position. I don't think a position coach is going to flip a coin or decide in the heat of battle based on who's been cheering the loudest on the sideline.

I'm sure they know, but they just don't want unhappy players or helicopter parents.
Good Points. Agreed.

MY THOUGHTS
- Cruz is our starter
- Plummer will be in relief if needed
- McCloud will eventually come in for short yardage or goal line situations if Gunner can't handle it and take over the backup No.2 position
- Plummer will then probably transfer with Noah coming in next year

Just saying...

PS - I don't know how, but I think we win 5 this year. Call me crazy...
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
azgreg

Re: Two-Deep

Post by azgreg »

Cruz will start and unless he leads us to a score or two in the first few drives we'll see Plummer in the first half.