14 Khalil Tate

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

14 Khalil Tate

Post by ANGCatFan »

Tate is a 6-2, 215, Senior quarterback from Inglewood, CA. He enters the season #12 in Arizona's history for passing yards (4,364), #6 for passing TDs (43), #7 for total offense (6,236 yards), and holds the NCAA record for QB rushing in a game (327 yards).

If Tate can put all of his extraordinary tools together he and the Arizona offensive will be incredible. Spring and early camp stories have focused on his improved leadership and command of the offense. Are there still areas of concern? Here's Jason Scheer's, Wildcat Authority, blurb on Tate's performance from Monday's practice:
We previously mentioned that Khalil Tate struggled during Saturday's scrimmage and in the viewing period that we had on Monday, he did not do well. When it is a one-on-one type of situation, Tate does just fine and he can make some nice throws.

However, when it turned to the team drills, Tate missed wide receivers. He had Bryce Wolma in the middle of the field and never looked at him and completely overthrew Jamarye Joiner on what should have been an easy pass.

Sources indicate that Tate has really struggled as of late after having one of his best practices last week. It will be interesting to see how the coaching staff handles everything in trying to get him back on track.
I'm still optimistic that Tate can put everything together and 2 bye weeks in September will allow him to improve and see opportunities he is missing before we hit conference play.

14 is the number of rushing TDs Arizona had last year.
Chicat

Re: 14 Khalil Tate

Post by Chicat »

Tate needs to get it together and lead this team to some wins, for his own sake if nothing else.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

AZ Desert Swarm with Ryan Kelapire's article on Tate's injury situation last year and link to the Sports Illustrated article it is based on.
“He had a shoulder and toe” injury, Brian Tate told SI. “I know my son—I know when he can’t do his best, it frustrates him.”

Per the story, Khalil Tate only started feeling 100 percent this April, and that he had to miss practices during game weeks last season just so that he felt decent enough to play.

“It was very difficult,” Tate told SI. “Knowing what I can do when I am healthy… Not being able to be healthy is kind of like, ‘Ah, I wish I can do this and wish I can do that, but I physically can’t,’” he told SI “I couldn’t run. It’s not that I didn’t want to run. I wanted to, but I couldn’t.”
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Goddamn, the guy is a Senior and still missing wide open receivers and not seeing others? Time to get it together Khalil.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Carcassdragger wrote:Goddamn, the guy is a Senior and still missing wide open receivers and not seeing others? Time to get it together Khalil.
Probably a reason why no one else recruited Tate as a QB.

Tate has never been good at going through the progressions to find a secondary receiver. Just toss a jump ball to Poindexter. I imagine Tate will miss him more than anyone else.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

https://www.pff.com/news/college-pff-ra ... s-for-2019" target="_blank
10. ARIZONA: KHALIL TATE
Tate’s 2018 season suffered from a change in scheme and a new head coach in Kevin Sumlin. As fun a prospect that we’ve seen over the past two years, if he can return to the form that saw him as a Heisman candidate in 2017 when he utilized his legs more, the 2019 season could be much different for Wildcat faithful. His two-year rushing grade is third only behind Ohio’s Nathan Rourke and Virginia’s Bryce Perkins.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... tua-trevor" target="_blank
9. Khalil Tate, QB, Arizona: He has to be healthy and he has to run to stay on this list. Last year, he was a mere afterthought nationally because an ankle injury limited him for most of the year. But when he was moving around in 2017, Tate was a wizard with his legs, becoming the first Pac-12 quarterback to rush for 1,000 yards in a season (1,411). The darting and dicing Tate averaged 128.3 rushing YPG that year and captured the nation with the FBS rushing record for a quarterback with 327 yards against Colorado.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Well that explains the way he played tonight. But why did Sumlin leave him in if he knew he was probably hurt?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Malingerer.

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

All I know is when a play starts and he goes backwards the play is doomed for failure 99% of the time.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

AZCatGirl wrote: Well that explains the way he played tonight. But why did Sumlin leave him in if he knew he was probably hurt?
Sorry I don't buy this for a second. The one run where he actually ran he looked fine until he tried to do a header into the turf. He just seems to be questioning everything he does now. I think alot of it has to do with Mazzone and him trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole. Tate is not and will never be a pocket passer. You can't take the scrambler out of a scrambler. It is a survival instinct they rely on heavily. Mazzone seems bound and determined to get Tate to check down 45 billion times a play before allowing him to run. Problem is by that time the defense has already figured out where the lanes are they need to fill and Tate has nowhere to go.

If they (Sumlin/Mazzone) are hellbent on pocket passing then put Gunnell in there and be done with it. Quit wasting everyone's time and risking really hurting Tate.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I think Tate was the one who wanted to be made into a pocket passer to increase his NFL chances and thought he said as much. Didn't he go to the Manning brothers camp in order to learn how to be one?
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Merkin wrote:I think Tate was the one who wanted to be made into a pocket passer to increase his NFL chances and thought he said as much. Didn't he go to the Manning brothers camp in order to learn how to be one?
If it is Tate fine. It is on the coaches to guide the team through their schedule and win as much as possible. If they are choosing to build one persons draft stock up while the rest of the team watches their season go up in smoke, something isn't right. They need to realize when the wheels are about to come off the cart and implement stop gap measures. There is no reason why Tate should have been playing that 4th quarter. Heck, he probably shouldn't have even suited up for the 2nd half TBH. Washington was dialed in on him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sumlin said they are burning Gunnell's redshirt, so maybe he and Mazzone are tiring of the Tate experiment too.

Don't know what Chief is hearing, but like BJ Denker said, the only thing stopping Khalil Tate is Khalil Tate. The fake injuries are getting tiring.

“It was probably a bad answer,” Sumlin clarified Monday. “Yeah, we are in contact with our medical department, with our trainers all the time. But individually you’ve got to know yourself if you’re healthy and if you’re not.”
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Was not happy to see Khalil sitting on the bench smiling and laughing while the team was getting their butts whooped. It reminded me of Mark McDonald when he was laughing on the sidelines after he missed a field goal in the last seconds against Oregon.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Tate is starting v. Furd per Sumlin. Hopefully is on a very short leash and gets pulled the first time he runs out of bounds losing yardage instead of throwing the ball away.

Irish27 wrote:Was not happy to see Khalil sitting on the bench smiling and laughing while the team was getting their butts whooped. It reminded me of Mark McDonald when he was laughing on the sidelines after he missed a field goal in the last seconds against Oregon.
I remember that. The real players wanted to kick his ass for that. How not to make friends on the team.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

How is a QB that managed 20 net yards still starting and makes awful decisions and plays constantly? This is why I don't fucking watch hardly at all anymore.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If Tate isn’t willing to run, he is useless as a QB.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Half of USC's starters on defense were injured and did not play.

Tate exploited that by passing for 47 yards and rushing for -27 yards.

If Gunnell doesn't start next week.... with apologies to Machina.... I'm done watching for the year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think Sumlin already said Tate would start. Going to be interesting to see how long of a rope he gets. The future is Gunnell so waiting makes little sense to most of us.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:Half of USC's starters on defense were injured and did not play.

Tate exploited that by passing for 47 yards and rushing for -27 yards.

If Gunnell doesn't start next week.... with apologies to Machina.... I'm done watching for the year.

#badfan ;)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Sid

Post by Sid »

azcat49 wrote:If Tate isn’t willing to run, he is useless as a QB.
Yep.

I had Heeke walk by our seats twice & Robbins. I got a nod from Heeke when I said it’s time to pull tate and give Grant the ball. :D

Highlight was watching Tate walk over and slapping Grant’s hand. Class act from Tate, feel bad for the kid...

Keith Smith was representing, really cool Trojan family in front of us the boys are being coached by Keith in baseball, Keith walked over to the boys and said hi. Most stagnant game day atmosphere I’ve ever seen, sc is really banged up most of the fans I talked with had no idea which way this was going go. I knew, my son knew.....only time I was shouting was after the Tate exchange with Grant. I was trying to fire the kid up!!! I had to explain who Grant was to the sc fans near us and one googled him and asked “why the fuck isn’t that kid starting” who knows......?

Let’s go Grant!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sid wrote: Keith Smith was representing, really cool Trojan family in front of us the boys are being coached by Keith in baseball, Keith walked over to the boys and said hi.
I was just thinking about Keith Smith yesterday.

Tate reminds me of Ortege Jenkins, who could also never match his potential shown as a freshman. I am sure we all remember "The leap by the lake". But OJ had Keith Smith as co-starter, and didn't have as much pressure on him. Once Smith was gone, Ortege was only pedestrian as a QB. Maybe Homer Smith ruined him, who knows?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Irish27 wrote:Was not happy to see Khalil sitting on the bench smiling and laughing while the team was getting their butts whooped. It reminded me of Mark McDonald when he was laughing on the sidelines after he missed a field goal in the last seconds against Oregon.
McDonald's response to the press after the game was even worse.

"If the fans think they can do better, they should come out here and kick."

And this was a senior.

Every Arizona head coach has had a recruit that symbolized the end of their era. Tomey's was Mark Dipshit McDonald.

Both for not challenging him and for sticking with him through repeated, unatoned failures of execution and maturity.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

catgrad97 wrote:

And this was a senior.

Every Arizona head coach has had a recruit that symbolized the end of their era. Tomey's was Mark Dipshit McDonald.

Both for not challenging him and for sticking with him through repeated, unatoned failures of execution and maturity.
He was also the shittiest FG kicker in UA history. He was 1-9 when Tomey benched him. Brought him out for the game winning kick, which he missed, making him 1-10 on the season, which I don't think he ever kicked again.

Tomey was a good guy, but sometimes being too loyal to his players really put the team at a determent.

Ortege Jenkins was a really good example of Tomey's loyalty to players, especially seniors. OJ had his worst year as a senior, more picks than TDs, and yet he still started every game.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Merkin wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:

And this was a senior.

He was also the shittiest FG kicker in UA history. He was 1-9 when Tomey benched him. Brought him out for the game winning kick, which he missed, making him 1-10 on the season, which I don't think he ever kicked again.

Tomey was a good guy, but sometimes being too loyal to his players really put the team at a determent.

Ortege Jenkins was a really good example of Tomey's loyalty to players, especially seniors. OJ had his worst year as a senior, more picks than TDs, and yet he still started every game.
This was the most obvious tell that Tomey had stopped recruiting. Neither backup for McDonald or Ortege was either proven or competitive.

And just a year removed from a Top 5 finish. The dropoff at the skill positions was Everest-like, no more pronounced than McDonald.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

catgrad97 wrote: This was the most obvious tell that Tomey had stopped recruiting. Neither backup for McDonald or Ortege was either proven or competitive.

And just a year removed from a Top 5 finish. The dropoff at the skill positions was Everest-like, no more pronounced than McDonald.
Agree 100%. UA fans miss the Tomey years, but when he thought the UA could recruit itself, then the team ended up short handed. No more tacking drills in practice due to the chance of injury, and when the UA agreed to go to Happy Valley in the Pigskin Classic, and the UA defense thought they could just put a shoulder on the ball carrier and he should go down. Which of course they bounced right off.

Tomey is a legend, and deservedly so, but it was really time for him to go.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The cats need to go double tight end, max protect and use those RB’s as hot outlets.
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Merkin wrote:
Sid wrote: Keith Smith was representing, really cool Trojan family in front of us the boys are being coached by Keith in baseball, Keith walked over to the boys and said hi.
I was just thinking about Keith Smith yesterday.

Tate reminds me of Ortege Jenkins, who could also never match his potential shown as a freshman. I am sure we all remember "The leap by the lake". But OJ had Keith Smith as co-starter, and didn't have as much pressure on him. Once Smith was gone, Ortege was only pedestrian as a QB. Maybe Homer Smith ruined him, who knows?
Honestly, I didn’t recognize him? The baseball family in front of us told me who he was when his kids went down the aisle to say hi to Keith. Still very passionate, he was cheering like mad on the sideline early on before they started blowing us out.

Tate just looks scared when you see him in person. Tate went from punishing defenders to assuming the fetal position. The pocket wasn’t even collapsing and he’s rolling out? Again, I feel sorry for the kid, but it’s very refreshing watching Grant go through his reads and remaining in the pocket. This kid is only going to get better and I’m very excited for the Grant era of Arizona football!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Tate sucks - thats why he shouldnt start...or play ever
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

97cats wrote:Tate sucks - thats why he shouldnt start...or play ever
100% if I ever see him loose 5 yards running out of bounds for no reason when he didn't even make his reads or throw it away. He just takes 5 yard losses multiple times a game. No QB iq at all, it's just sad to watch. Let the GG era begin.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I don't mean this as an insult to Tate, at all, but....

Barring injury to Grant, I will watch 0 offensive drives where Tate is the QB going forward this season.

There is no benefit to playing Tate at QB in any further games. Grant's redshirt is already burned, he's the QB who will be here going forward, so you play the man.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

This is even more perplexing than Dylan Smith. Why kill our chances at another win by playing Tate?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

About 6 or 7 years ago I was in a car wreck.
Since then I have a real hard time remembering numbers. I’m talking like 3 seconds after I hear it , it’s gone.

That got me to thinking that maybe Tate got his brain rattled at some point.
I see no other reason for some of his decisions.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Maybe you should have tried the "tripple" option instead of dictating coaching staff changes.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

About the average time in the NFL for an Arizona QB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote:About the average time in the NFL for an Arizona QB

Pretty much. Only 1 UA QB has ever taken a snap in the NFL since joining the PAC in 1978.

Just happens to be a Super Bowl winning QB, but for the most part why would any elite QB want to play for Arizona if they have pro aspirations?
Sid

Post by Sid »

Merkin wrote:

Pretty much. Only 1 UA QB has ever taken a snap in the NFL since joining the PAC in 1978.

Just happens to be a Super Bowl winning QB, but for the most part why would any elite QB want to play for Arizona if they have pro aspirations?

Pool parties.

:D
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sid wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Pool parties.

:D
Point taken!

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Gronk agrees.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:08 pm Maybe you should have tried the "tripple" option instead of dictating coaching staff changes.

and again! If only he had used his college years for a position he was more likely to play professionally.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

He should go play QB in the USFL.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wait til summer to visit my man.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Cool,
Wish him much success.
UofAlum05 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:54 pm He should go play QB in the USFL.
CFL won't fold in a year so he should stay up there, unless he's dying to play for the Houston Gamblers.