2016 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MountainCat

Re: 2016 Season Thread

Post by MountainCat »

azpenguin wrote:A third of the way into 2016 and here's something that's jumped off the stat sheet: Arizona has 3 passing TDs this year. They had 27 last year and 29 in '14. They've gotten into the end zone via the run 13 times this year. Dawkins has seven of those. Wilson has three. The lowest passing TD total since RR has been here was 16 in 2013. If Wilson stays healthy after he returns - a very big if there - this could be a West Virginia type of offense.
We now have 6 passing TDs on the season. Tate has 2 of them with less than a half of game play. He was also the leading rusher against UCLA.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
RazorsEdgeAZ

Re: 2016 Season Thread

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Not what many expected to start the season but circumstances change.

Always apples to oranges comparing seasons but... and comparing the 1st 5 games LY to TY (some could argue LY 1st 5 games little tougher opponents to TY) it's the AZ offense in multiple categories behind what Offense produced LY

The AZ defense in most categories has improved their results and ranking from LY.

Just comparing 1st 5 games from last year to this year:
AZ defense in nearly all defensive categories has improved this year (I can't tell that from RR observations). This includes rushing def, turnovers, TFL's, sacks, RZ def, scoring def, total def.

Even 3rd down def is flat to last year. so are interceptions by Def. The defensive area that is down from LY is passing yards allowed per game. Def is giving up 14 more passing yards per game (275 TY to 261 LY) this year over last.

Offense is down in most categories (so is ST except punting. punting improved):
Categories AZ down by far are 3rd down conversion. 11% less conversions, ranked 103rd TY was 33rd this time LY
1st down offense. AZ has 24 less 1st downs TY than LY - 40th TY to 6th LY
Obviously passing offense way down
This surprised me, Rushing is actually down TY. Lots. 38 yards a game LESS TY then LY (18th TY - 12th LY)
Scoring, Offense scoring 12.8 points LESS per game TY (65th TY - 10th LY)
Total offense, Offense with 64 less yards a game TY (52nd TY - 15th LY)

RZ Offense has improved TY (82% TY 81% LY)

Again apples to oranges, but thru first 5 games TY to LY. On paper Defense doing better than I expected (for the most part). Offense, not so much (yes, injuries. I Know but many wanted Dawkins in over Anu. Dawkins played most of the games)