93 Parker Zellers

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

93 Parker Zellers

Post by ANGCatFan »

Zellers is a 6-1, 247, redshirt Sophomore defensive lineman from Scottsdale, AZ. His one line bio on the official site certainly doesn't reflect how important Zellers was to the team last year. He stepped in when an already thin D-line lost Worthy for a couple games for an injury and ended up starting 6 games at nose tackle and becoming Scooby's bodyguard.

He had 13 tackles on the year (5 in the win over Oregon), but his big contribution was tying up the line and giving room for Scooby and others to make the plays. His tenacity, effort, and grit resulted in him earning a scholarship this past April. I suspect that Zellers is now heavier than his listed weight of 247 (which hasn't changed in a year), but he is still an undersized, underweight, overachieving key part of our defensive line rotation and that makes me a big fan of his. My favorite Zellers play from last year - the goal line stand against the scummies.

93 is also the Arizona record for the most receptions in a season set by Bobby Wade in 2002.
catinfl

Re: 93 Parker Zellers

Post by catinfl »

Zellers has proved to be a menace on the line at whatever weight he's at. That play against ASU was so big. He literally just slipped through the line.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

The phrase I associated with Zellers last year was "he's holding his own in there." I'd like to see what he's bulked up to in the offseason; he'll never really have huge size but he has a year in the system where he played well. He could be a hell of an asset in there as time goes on.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

It is remarkable what he has done. Hat off to the guy.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »