43 Tyler Grammar

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

43 Tyler Grammar

Post by ANGCatFan »

Grammar is a 5'10", 190, redshirt Senior safety from Pima CC and Ironwood Ridge HS, Tucson. Added to the roster on the first day of practice. He redshirted in 2013 and was on the scout team in 2014. I could not find him on last year's roster.

I am going to let Tyler tell his story himself. Here are the first and last posts from his personal page.
My name is Tyler Broc Grammar...and I play football.

This is my story...

My story isn't unique because I wanted to play Division I football; every kid I grew up with, played football with, went to camps and combines with...we all wanted that same dream. My story is more about adversity, tenacity and the struggles I went through to live out my dream. When faced with challenges in life, hurdles and closed doors...What do YOU do?

As a kid, my room was painted Red & Blue and I had the University of Arizona's "A" logo plastered on my wall . I dreamed and prayed about having the opportunity to one day play as a Wildcat. In the summer of 2011, I was notified that I had secured a "Preferred Walk-On" position at The University of Arizona; I was going to fulfill my dream as an Arizona Wildcat. I was shocked, amazed, thankful, humbled and filled with every emotion you might imagine a kid of 18 years old might be.

I can remember the day we arrived at the U of A, very clearly; my Father and I were given the tour of the athletic facilities. One of the staff members had requested we bring my certified official transcript from my high school, unopened and with a seal, to the football compliance office for review. During our tour, the staff member received a phone call...it was the NCAA Compliance Officer and it was the most disappointing news I have ever had to be faced with.

"Unfortunately, Tyler, it has come to our attention that you will not clear the NCAA Clearinghouse, due to several issues we have discovered in your transcript...I'm very sorry." -- I was so stunned, I couldn't move...'couldn't say a word. In fact, I wanted to disappear, evaporate. My brain shut down and I wasn't sure I was even breathing anymore. The hurt I felt was indescribable and the shock and disbelief I could see in my Father's eyes only made that pain worse. I was NOT going to be an Arizona Wildcat, after all.

I am writing this story for many reasons, but one of my greatest hopes is that some athlete, still in high school, might read this one day and learn from my mistakes. Do NOT let this happen to you! There are plenty of ways to avoid this disaster...simply educate yourself, now. The link above will take you to the NCAA Eligibility Center where all of this information is available to you 24/7/365. Read it, know it, live it...there's no shortcut for anyone.

To make a very long story short, what was discovered in the transcripts were 3 core issues.

1st, just so there's NO EXCUSES, I did not have a solid GPA. Truth be told, The University of Arizona would probably not have admitted me with the cumulative GPA that I possessed upon graduation.

2nd, we did not check with the NCAA to determine whether all of my classes that were qualified to graduate a student in the State of Arizona, would be counted as "Core Courses", in accordance with the NCAA. You are required to have 16 Core Courses to play Division I Athletics...I had 14, as two of the core courses I had taken were disallowed by the NCAA, for the previous 3 years and everyone, unfortunately, was unaware of this information leading up to this debacle.

3rd, I had only taken the SAT one time, prior to meeting with the University. In fact, I had taken it the morning after riding home on a bus, from a State Championship game loss, wherein we returned home around 1 AM. Very poor planning on my part for sure and I simply thought I just needed a basic score. I also thought that I'd have "plenty of time" to retake it, if that was even necessary and I certainly didn't study for it.

All of the above 3 issues, were absolutely my own fault and could have easily been rectified...early. This information should go out to every Freshman and Sophomore in high school. Know the rules (enroll in the NCAA Clearinghouse as soon as possible), protect your GPA (STUDY!!! - we all know this!), and start studying and taking your ACT / SAT, no later than your Junior year.

Now all of this said, having been knocked to the ground, I begin to pray. I went to "work" immediately after receiving the news and finally recovering from the shock. I felt that GOD was training me, teaching me and mentoring me to be the man he wants me to be long after football is over for me.

I enrolled in Summer School at The University of Arizona and Pima Community College and made up the two courses required for the 16 core credits. That being said, it was too little, too late for the 2011-2012 season. I still had to clear the Clearinghouse as well as be accepted to The University of Arizona as a full-time student.

I struggled to increase a dismal GPA to a 3.0, attending Pima Community College, part time; it took me 18 long months to do that and to increase my ACT scores. In that 18 months I studied, worked out like a madman, and was tutored for the ACT / SAT tests. I discovered that my aptitude was in the ACT, as it is in many athletes, and I had even missed the required score once, by a single point. I finally cleared the Clearinghouse in November of 2012 and now with a 3.0 GPA, I was accepted into The University of Arizona in December. Most importantly, I never stopped working out, training, developing and enhancing my skills and football fundamentals.

I was fortunate, as I never lost any of my eligibility and ensured that I remained as a part-time student, never playing a down of football, during the time that I was working on my clearance and acceptance. I was not offered a Preferred Walk-On position this time around for the 2013 season; I had burnt that ticket long ago, by my own actions and inaction...no excuses. This time, I have to make the team by showing this staff what I have been blessed with, what I've worked hard for and the man that I am today. I'm better now, than I was then...in so many ways.

March 4th, 2013, I will step on the hallowed grass of the U of A practice field, for the first time, prepared. May GOD bless me with success in a second opportunity to become an Arizona Wildcat and may HE bless YOU, by the information provided within my story. Be blessed and inspired...live your dreams!

Bear Down!

Tyler Broc Grammar - A.K.A. "Ocho Psycho"

. . .

It's been awhile since I last posted...it's been super crazy since Spring ball. So very much has happened and the story is, as always, about tenacity. Let's just say that I've been busy chasing my dreams through hard work, tenacity and faith and persistence. Through the grace of God, faith, an incredibly encouraging and talented coaching staff at THE University of Arizona, and unwavering support from my family and friends, my journey continues...

My name is Tyler Broc Grammar and I am an Arizona Wildcat!

I am a Safety on a Division I, PAC 12, football team...those words still echo in my head, crazily surreal; I intend to continue to respect that feeling and never forget where I cam from. You can find me on the roster (#34) along with my short bio. Always know that I will continue to work tirelessly to ensure I stay there...that, I can promise you.

Come support the Arizona Wildcats Football Family. I, for one, am looking forward to the hard work ahead, becoming an impact player for Arizona. Please buy tickets and come support Wildcat Football! We appreciate YOUR support! BEAR DOWN!

Ty

#BeyondBlessed #BearDown #FAITH #HARDEDGE